What's your "workhorse"?

Daiya

Do you have a workhorse? I've found it useful to have a general purpose craft that has a consistent level of performance I'm familiar with.

Mine is the Daiya CSM, a <del>ripoff</del> homage to the venerable Apollo.

8WUblrcl.png

Everything's stock except for the Engineer unit. It has 2281 m/s of delta-v and 300 units of monopropellant, more than enough for extended jaunts through the Kerbin system. I like to have mission equipment and crew rendezvous at their target so I can send a lander to Mun and Minmus each and one Daiya can operate both.

A03575C282B2FA78F53308CB4AAC54820A45A5A2

D182B41E49E0515550E7A87D20E1E33AA5634273

Call it the "Sasha" comes in about a dozen variants so far (shown: 2), used as station cores, science modules, planetary landers/hoppers, local system rescue ships, and so on. Backbone of my operations once I've established operations in any SOI.

I currently have three "workhorse" boosters which can carry nearly all of my payloads into orbit. They're basically just variations of the largest booster with one or two stages removed. All are designed to deliver their payload into a 400-600km Orbit.

Booster "King": Payload 25 tons.

cHJxRFs.jpg

Booster "Tsar": Payload 50 tons.

s0otJBe.jpg

Booster "Emperor": Payload 130 tons.

iFmwp3g.jpg

I'm sure Freud would have loved these designs.

Back in 0.21 I also had an even larger version of the "Emperor" with an added asparagus first stage. Weighed 2600 tons and could deliver some 250 tons into orbit. But so far I have not found any use for such a monster...

My favourite launch vehicle is my Moho II, it's light, simple, and can carry a payload of about 20 tonnes to LKO, which is plenty enough for the trips I make (and for my computer to handle). My favourite crew vehicle is the Orion capsule; I downloaded a mod which gives a very stock-like Service Module which resembles the upcoming Orion MPCV (here's the mod). A gallery of a sample trip to the Mun is below:

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/xzSrL/embed"></iframe>

Edited by CalculusWarrior

I have my own "Heavy Lifter" which I use for everything (including light loads). 6 mainsails, 1 skipper.

It gets most of my payloads into orbit with plenty of left of fuel in the final launch stage. I then can use that final stage to initiate transfer burns, leaving it in a highly elliptical orbit. The final stage then deorbits using RCS.

I used to have a tug that flew around everywhere also, was my favorite ship. Medium and large docking ports. I dare say something like it will be made in my latest save at some point.

The term "Workhorse" is somewhat subjective so I'll introduce different crafts for different purposes.

For LKO and light Munar missions, the Quest 5M or (VM) is the ticket. (If I had to choose one It would be this one.)

screenshot153-1.png

For Interplanetary missions, the Pluto I is used (A Pluto VM variant is available for Apollo style missions)

Pluto IR (Rover Variant)

screenshot158.png

Pluto VM

screenshot133.png

For Long-distance atmospheric Kerbin flights there is the Kesna V which only very recently (somewhat replaced) the X-7R with its detachable rover that also allows refueling at specially designed fuel tanks via docking ports.

Kesna V

screenshot233.png

X-7R

screenshot208.png

My modular science lander.

CExL4cU.png

Here on Gilly, works on any low gravity world but require an drop tank for Vall or Moho. The pod on the top is designed for returning the second crew member to Kerbin, however I docked it to the lander to get an two man lander.

The science module is docked to the lander and can be replaced. This let you return more science by using multiple modules or simply have one for atmospheric use and one for vacuum nice for doing Duna / Ike or Vall, Bop and Pol. I can dock an spare fuel tank on top or bottom, as the engines draw from center first

well, when I was doing the career mode, I used this badboy as my science work horse. based off the stock lander can, but 100% unmanned. All it could not do was: EVA reports and take soil samples. Crew reports and all science module work was possible with this thing.

A true, Multi-purpose, Multi-Environmental Science Laboratory :) Jebediah was soo proud!

Loadout: more batteries than it needed. 6 1x6 solar panels, 4 goo cans, 6 each thermometer, gravioli, atmospheric box, seismic sensor, 1 materials bay, and that new avionics module that used to be useless in .21 and back. only problem with it was the lack of a descent stage, so it had to land on the cruise stage and literally leap of faith it the last few meters to the ground in no atmosphere. in atmosphere, it has several novapunch pack chutes under the avionics package.

4u04.png

Edited by AlamoVampire

I have a general use lifter that I use for almost anything (anything over 150t needs a new one though). However the true workhorse in my KSP is my orbital tugs. They are basically a flying fuel tank with a nerva engine but they do everything from station assembly to being the interplanetary stage for rovers to rescuing stranded kerbals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.