[0.25] RasterPropMonitor - putting the A in your IVA (v0.18.3) [8 Oct]

Mihara

I'm new to RPM, and I toyed around with it but I'm having some issues.

1. I understood (possibly misunderstood?) that there's a way to configure an external camera view through a docking port, as in, it gives cameras to docking ports… is that the case? If so, how do I view it?

2. What is this monitor supposed to be showing me? Why are there 2 prograde symbols? http://i.imgur.com/ovRL4Uk.png

edit: nevermind about #1, I figured out the docking cam. Apparently setting the part to control from must be done inside of RPM, not externally. Still curious about #2 though.

Edited by Entropius

only use 1 module manager dll, never 2.

the errors are caused by the IVA props not set up correctly, or using older RPM varibles that are no longer used in v18.2; RPM is working fine. IVAs built with RPM v0.16 or earlier are not compatible with v0.18.

Is that IVA from B9 v4? best bet is wait for B9 v5 release.

Currently using only the 2.2.2 module manager and the stock cockpits, all the monitors still show NaN everywhere

Am I forgetting to do something? Or is there a mod conflict somewhere? Or is something missing?

The RPM v0.18.2 I got was from the github release page

Thank you for replying

Currently using only the 2.2.2 module manager and the stock cockpits, all the monitors still show NaN everywhere

Am I forgetting to do something? Or is there a mod conflict somewhere? Or is something missing?

The RPM v0.18.2 I got was from the github release page

Thank you for replying

you mean MM 2.2.1 right? I don't know of a 2.2.2 release. There is probably a mod conflict somewhere else. The NaN displays means some variable the RPM monitor reads are not set up or set up in a wrong sequence. The monitor simply displays what it's given.

I'm new to RPM, and I toyed around with it but I'm having some issues.

1. I understood (possibly misunderstood?) that there's a way to configure an external camera view through a docking port, as in, it gives cameras to docking ports… is that the case? If so, how do I view it?

2. What is this monitor supposed to be showing me? Why are there 2 prograde symbols? http://i.imgur.com/ovRL4Uk.png

edit: nevermind about #1, I figured out the docking cam. Apparently setting the part to control from must be done inside of RPM, not externally. Still curious about #2 though.

that's HUD page; with green heading bars and vertical scrolling bars etc. like an airplane HUD. top prograde marker is from the Compass bar. lower prograde marker is relative to the direction your pod is pointed toward. Your installation path is wrong, or the necessary PNG files are missing or are in the wrong location.

normally it would look like this http://i.imgur.com/e5DwORy.jpg

Edited by nli2work

that's HUD page; with green heading bars and vertical scrolling bars etc. like an airplane HUD. top prograde marker is from the Compass bar. lower prograde marker is relative to the direction your pod is pointed toward. Your installation path is wrong, or the necessary PNG files are missing or are in the wrong location.

normally it would look like this http://i.imgur.com/e5DwORy.jpg

It looks like I installed it correctly… I think. http://i.imgur.com/oAL1fJf.png

Also, upon closer inspection I noticed if I move the craft around, one of the prograde markers will move, and as it moves, it appears that some invisible shapes partially obscure the prograde-marker. If I move them around enough I can see the shapes match those HUD elements in your screenshot. So it's like they're being rendered… but they have the same color as the background.

It looks like I installed it correctly… I think. http://i.imgur.com/oAL1fJf.png

Also, upon closer inspection I noticed if I move the craft around, one of the prograde markers will move, and as it moves, it appears that some invisible shapes partially obscure the prograde-marker. If I move them around enough I can see the shapes match those HUD elements in your screenshot. So it's like they're being rendered… but they have the same color as the background.

huh, interesting. not sure why that is happening... is that a stock pod IVA modified by RPM or another Mod's IVA? RPM has no function to change the color of the PNG overlays. It appears RPM is functioning properly but something else rendering the texture incorrectly. I presume this is common on all the IVAs? I don't think there's much else you can try besides starting fresh, add RPM, see if it still does this. if not; add mods one by one until the screen breaks again.

huh, interesting. not sure why that is happening... is that a stock pod IVA modified by RPM or another Mod's IVA? RPM has no function to change the color of the PNG overlays. It appears RPM is functioning properly but something else rendering the texture incorrectly. I presume this is common on all the IVAs? I don't think there's much else you can try besides starting fresh, add RPM, see if it still does this. if not; add mods one by one until the screen breaks again.

I forget what command module I was in at the time, but it doesn't really matter since it appears to affect them all: stock, B9, Taurus HCV, etc. Maybe if I have time to waste later on I'll try narrowing down my list of mods to identify a culprit, but I'm really not looking forward to such a project.

I also noticed the KerbPro camera from the Hull Cam mod gets it's camera view in RPM rotated by 90 degrees from what it should be.

I forget what command module I was in at the time, but it doesn't really matter since it appears to affect them all: stock, B9, Taurus HCV, etc. Maybe if I have time to waste later on I'll try narrowing down my list of mods to identify a culprit, but I'm really not looking forward to such a project.

I also noticed the KerbPro camera from the Hull Cam mod gets it's camera view in RPM rotated by 90 degrees from what it should be.

the external camera is matched to a transform in Kerbpro. +Z-forward; +Y-Up; +X-Right; You can try correcting it by editing the file at

JSI\RasterPropMonitor\ThirdPartySupport\hullcam-models-as-external-cameras.cfg But easier just to mount the camera at 90 degree rotation.

the module added to Kerbpro is the last block; adjust the rotateCamera X,Y,Z line by 90 degree increments until you have the correct view in RPM.

@PART[kerbpro]
{
MODULE
{
name = JSIExternalCameraSelector
cameraContainer = lens
rotateCamera = -90,0,90
translateCamera = 0.22,0.2,0.43
cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam
}
}

Edited by nli2work

But easier just to mount the camera at 90 degree rotation.

I'm probably going to have to try to fix the camera via cfg-editing actually, simply rotating the part in the build-editor is problematic because then if I try to look through the camera itself (rather than use RPM), then that view will be wrong by 90-degrees. It would be ideal to get both methods of using the camera correct at the same time.

Thanks.

Is there a way to put the vessel's description on a page? Only reference to the vessel description I've found is:

PAGEHANDLER
{
name = RasterPropMonitorComputer
method = VesselDescriptionWordwrapped
isPartModule = yes
}

Which just makes a page with the description.

Yay, I found the correct value for the KerbPro camera. The line:

rotateCamera = -90,0,90

should instead be:

rotateCamera = -90,0,180

Assumably this change should be added to RPM in its next update (or is there a reason for the former value?).

This mod is superb. The only thing i would change is to have it's own Camera model. A splendid one to consolidate was the mod already is.

Thank you by your share!

:)

I was just finishing one up! :) The axis are color coded; should make it much easier to mount properly.

http://www./download/45m65y1ocejn0n2/extRPMCam.zip

I hope Mihara gets back to this soon. I got alot of questions I have to ask.

I think I found another camera bug, but this time it regards the AeroCam and AeroCam180.

It seems that RPM's external camera screen can use those 2 cameras….until you use HullCam VDS's camera view (like using an action group that invokes "Next Camera"). Once HullCam VDS's camera view gets used, RPM can no longer see anything but a gray screen. It should be noted this gray screen is affected by external lighting, as moving the ship changes the shade of gray. RPM's zoom also slightly changes the gray. It's almost like RPM gets forced to look at an extremely close gray wall. Once this problem occurs, revert to launch/assembly will NOT restore RPM's ability to view AeroCams. Only restarting KSP seems to fix it.

The KerbPro and Science Cam are apparently unaffected by this bug.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

EDIT: Okay so restarting KSP isn't necessary, there's a workaround. The problem only occurs if you leave your external view on a HCV camera when you go into IVA. But if you first change your external view from HCV to just a plain old external view (chase/free/orbital) view, then RPM can use the aerocams again.

Edited by Entropius

Is there a way to put the vessel's description on a page? Only reference to the vessel description I've found is:

PAGEHANDLER
{
isPartModule = yes
}

Which just makes a page with the description.

need add that to a page definition in the RPM config; not sure if it's possible to format it.

PAGE
{
name = vesselDescription
button = gBtn02 //some button for it
PAGEHANDLER
{
isPartModule = yes
}
textureURL = JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Library/Textures/bg01
}

Hey guys, I just found a way to set default monitor configurations, part-based, which affect new parts created on the VAB (on saved crafts, you'll have to replace the pod with a new one):

Step 1: Create a monstrosity with every pod in the game piled up, name it "RPM Tester". Put it on your Launch Pad fully manned.

Step 2: Set every monitor in the way you'd like it to be on pre-launch conditions. Save the game (leave to KSC leaving the ship on the pad).

Step 3: Open persistent.sav on a text editor, look for your "RPM Tester" ship. Create a CFG file with a ModuleManager line for each part, setting a "data" config on the "RasterPropManagerComputer" module to a value you'll paste from persistent.txt.

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit.

You'll have to restart the game for changes to take effect. Every craft you create from then on will have its monitor set to defaults upon launch.

For added fun and profit, here's my config. It uses the MFD setup for RPM, and Probe Control Room:

Before launch, I'll set the Reference Part to a suitable docking port (no way to save that setting) so Dock Cam will work, set the target and wait for rendezvous launch window (if applicable).

After launch, I'll set the Launch Assist windows to Orbit. Camera should default to a launch camera pointing to ground, then to a main/dock camera.

For lander cans, default is a landing site selection mode. After inicial descent burn, I'll change the Orbit window to Alt Graph and the Map to Landing Cam.

Left Seat on the Mk 1-2 Pod is the docking seat. After rendezvous, the Orbit window is changed to Dock Cam.

VessewView is a bit buggy, sometimes you'll have to switch to MechJeb and back for it to reload and display properly.

//-----------------------------------------------------------------
//Default RPM configs
@PART[mk1pod]:Final
{
%MODULE[RasterPropMonitorComputer]
{
%data = activePage35$7|activePage36$29|activePage34$35
}
}
@PART[Mark1-2Pod]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage136$3|activePage133$7|activePage134$35|activePage135$29|activePage132$3|activePage127$6|activePage129$30|activePage130$12|activePage128$34|activePage131$6|activePage126$36
}
}
@PART[cupola]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage39$3|activePage41$34|activePage40$6
}
}
@PART[landerCabinSmall]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage34$4|activePage35$6|activePage37$34|activePage36$8
}
}
@PART[mk2LanderCabin]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage33$4|activePage34$6|activePage35$34
}
}
@PART[Mark1Cockpit]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage26$23|activePage24$34|activePage25$12
}
}
@PART[Mark2Cockpit]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage30$9|activePage29$22|activePage28$23
}
}
@PART[mark3Cockpit]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage25$4|activePage24$7|activePage26$13|activePage23$19
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProbeControlRoomPart]]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage10$3|activePage7$6|activePage8$17|activePage9$10|activePage5$20
}
}

Cheers :cool:

Hey guys, I just found a way to set default monitor configurations, part-based, which affect new parts created on the VAB (on saved crafts, you'll have to replace the pod with a new one):

Step 1: Create a monstrosity with every pod in the game piled up, name it "RPM Tester". Put it on your Launch Pad fully manned.

Step 2: Set every monitor in the way you'd like it to be on pre-launch conditions. Save the game (leave to KSC leaving the ship on the pad).

Step 3: Open persistent.sav on a text editor, look for your "RPM Tester" ship. Create a CFG file with a ModuleManager line for each part, setting a "data" config on the "RasterPropManagerComputer" module to a value you'll paste from persistent.txt.

You'll have to restart the game for changes to take effect. Every craft you create from then on will have its monitor set to defaults upon launch.

For added fun and profit, here's my config. It uses the MFD setup for RPM, and Probe Control Room:

Before launch, I'll set the Reference Part to a suitable docking port (no way to save that setting) so Dock Cam will work, set the target and wait for rendezvous launch window (if applicable).

After launch, I'll set the Launch Assist windows to Orbit. Camera should default to a launch camera pointing to ground, then to a main/dock camera.

For lander cans, default is a landing site selection mode. After inicial descent burn, I'll change the Orbit window to Alt Graph and the Map to Landing Cam.

Left Seat on the Mk 1-2 Pod is the docking seat. After rendezvous, the Orbit window is changed to Dock Cam.

VessewView is a bit buggy, sometimes you'll have to switch to MechJeb and back for it to reload and display properly.

//-----------------------------------------------------------------
//Default RPM configs
@PART[mk1pod]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage35$7|activePage36$29|activePage34$35
}
}
@PART[Mark1-2Pod]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage136$3|activePage133$7|activePage134$35|activePage135$29|activePage132$3|activePage127$6|activePage129$30|activePage130$12|activePage128$34|activePage131$6|activePage126$36
}
}
@PART[cupola]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage39$3|activePage41$34|activePage40$6
}
}
@PART[landerCabinSmall]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage34$4|activePage35$6|activePage37$34|activePage36$8
}
}
@PART[mk2LanderCabin]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage33$4|activePage34$6|activePage35$34
}
}
@PART[Mark1Cockpit]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage26$23|activePage24$34|activePage25$12
}
}
@PART[Mark2Cockpit]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage30$9|activePage29$22|activePage28$23
}
}
@PART[mark3Cockpit]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage25$4|activePage24$7|activePage26$13|activePage23$19
}
}
@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProbeControlRoomPart]]:Final
{
{
%data = activePage10$3|activePage7$6|activePage8$17|activePage9$10|activePage5$20
}
}

I shall all be testing this, thanks very much!

Excellent! it's a great way to create prelaunch setups for distributed pods too.

@Entropius @nli2work I've had the exact same issue for the longest time. My bet is on one of A) active texture manager B) texture replacer or C) openGL rendering. I can't remember the last time I've had a usable (in this case readable) ADI. Black on black is difficult. Occurs on every cockpit with an ADI; be it an overlay or head's-up display (head's-up is easier due to green background and typical daytime skies; still everything actually rendered is black)

@Entropius @nli2work I've had the exact same issue for the longest time. My bet is on one of A) active texture manager B) texture replacer or C) openGL rendering. I can't remember the last time I've had a usable (in this case readable) ADI. Black on black is difficult. Occurs on every cockpit with an ADI; be it an overlay or head's-up display (head's-up is easier due to green background and typical daytime skies; still everything actually rendered is black)

I have both ATM and Texture Replacer active on my test install; so that leaves openGL.

I don't want an empty page with the description, I want the description in another page.

Not sure if you can get the entire description inside another page. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to put the pagehandler block inside another page's block in the RPM config. no idea if that would work.

You can get the Action Group descriptions inside another page, I believe, using the AGMEMO variables

have first full test flight with internal props...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bi3OE1vQ4w

have couple things I couldn't sort out still... The alarms using compound variables, never seem to trigger for some reason, tried scale = 0,1; scale = 0,Variable; different threshhold settings, 0,1; 0.5,1.1; none of them would do it. 2nd thing is pluginAction calling RPM buttons for Engine activation/deactivation and Stage Lock. If I have TransparentPod module active, I get message in Debug about plugin action not processed, reverting to dummy action. If I don't have TransparentPod active, no debug message. But both situations the RPM button action reverts to dummy.