Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

You see, launching stuff into space takes even more boosters in RSS mod. The classical "add more boosters" technique couldn't help Jebediah any longer, so he invented a re-entry vehicle requiring less boosters.

Woah! That looks like MOOSE, but more kerbal! Because touching hot plasma is fun!

Here are launch vehicles I use. I wanted to send payload to space, not invent new rockets, so mainly I copied existing launchers. :)

http://imgur.com/a/jWyhx

You see, launching stuff into space takes even more boosters in RSS mod. The classical "add more boosters" technique couldn't help Jebediah any longer, so he invented a re-entry vehicle requiring less boosters.

http://imgur.com/a/vNoDR

OMG! How did you make that R-7 so good?!?! Could you upload a craft file and list the required mods for all the launch vehicles you posted? Because i want to use those NOW! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Nicholander

OMG! How did you make that R-7 so good?!?! Could you upload a craft file and list the required mods for all the launch vehicles you posted? Because i want to use those NOW! Thanks in advance!

I'm glad you like the launchers :)

Thanks to the great modular fuel tanks mod, I could easily copy almost all features of fuel tanks of Soyuz launcher. But I thnik that boosters still need some tweaking because they don't fit the core stage perfectly.

You can download the .craft files here:

download - put the contents in your subassemblies folder, attach them under your payload.

Required mods are:

Realism overhaul, Real Fuels, SFJBRealEngines, AIES Aerospace(engines), BobCatind's soviet engines, Kosmos pack(engines and fairings), KWRocketry(engines), Procedural fairings

I present to you... the Artemis rocket family:

XrDwSCy.png

From the left:

Artemis 1 - 2 stages, full kerolox, 15t to LEO

Artemis 1H - 2 stages, 1st stage kerolox, 2nd stage hydrolox, 20t to LEO

1st stage is the same for 1 and 1H.

Artemis 4H - 2 stages, 1st stage kerolox, 2nd stage hydrolox, 80t to LEO, can be used with cryogenic 3rd stage to bring 30t to the Moon

Edited by Rothank
Image not working

Command pod is from FASA. Solar panels are from AIES.

Yup, sorry I didn't see the "command pod" question. The pod, mobile lamp, RCS blocks are from FASA. The antenae is from AIES or Remote tech. Solar panels are from AIES. Tank is from Procedural Parts. Engine is from KW Rocketry and space shuttle engines.

Engine stats and fuels use real engines and real fuels. I also use realistic engine ignitors.

Edited by TeeGee

Yup, sorry I didn't see the "command pod" question. The pod, mobile lamp, RCS blocks are from FASA. The antenae is from AIES or Remote tech. Solar panels are from AIES. Tank is from Procedural Parts. Engine is from KW Rocketry.

Thank you. Continue the good work on that SSTO! (I guess?)

• 2 weeks later...

Because I haven't bothered with .24 yet and nothing in my RO install is broken. I present my F-12 Flapjack fighter. It actually performs WAY better then I thought and it is my first true delta-wing design without canards.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It uses AJE P&W F100-200 engines (the -200 is the real life current version of the P&W F100s).

It tops out at mach 2.6 (Structural limitation, nose will fly off)

Can pull 15Gs!

Has over a 500mile combat radius.

And is capable of loading 32k pounds of ordinance!

Armed with 2 30mm cannons.

Your probes are really nice! How did you launch the probe to Saturn? Were you using gravity assists?

I have finally finished my Mars airplane. It's an attempt to replicate this:

So here's what I have done:

This is the second version. I started building it in KSP 0.23.5 and it was very struggling to make it because KSP crashed and froze very often. First it was almost a direct copy of ARES airplane. It flew very well on Earth but it turned out that it was only capable of making craters on the surface of Mars. I built the plane again in 0.24 giving it larger wings and larger control surfaces. Hopefully I didn't meet awful bugs of version 0.23.5 that made the development extremely hard and I could easily test and launch the plane in very short time.

I hope that NASA haven't completely forgotten about ARES airplane and they will launch it some day!

How did you launch the probe to Saturn? Were you using gravity assists?

I wanted to, but KSP TOT stubbornly refused to give me any that made sense, so in the end I just used my moon rocket (80 t to LEO) and made a direct trans-Saturnian injection burn.

So here's what I have done:

Woah, this is awesome, you even managed to faithfully recreate the unfolding concept, very impressive.

I built the plane again in 0.24 giving it larger wings and larger control surfaces. Hopefully I didn't meet awful bugs of version 0.23.5 that made the development extremely hard and I could easily test and launch the plane in very short time.

So you're saying that 0.24 with RSS/RO is already running better than the 23.5 version? Are you using the x86 or the x64 executable? I'm still using my 0.23.5 installation, because I have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach when it comes to my RSS/RO installations. However, if it really is more stable, then I guess it's time to make the switch.

Because I haven't bothered with .24 yet and nothing in my RO install is broken. I present my F-12 Flapjack fighter. It actually performs WAY better then I thought and it is my first true delta-wing design without canards.

~snip~

It uses AJE P&W F100-200 engines (the -200 is the real life current version of the P&W F100s).

It tops out at mach 2.6 (Structural limitation, nose will fly off)

Can pull 15Gs!

Has over a 500mile combat radius.

And is capable of loading 32k pounds of ordinance!

Armed with 2 30mm cannons.

That thing would make any world power crap their pants if one of their rivals unveiled it.

So you're saying that 0.24 with RSS/RO is already running better than the 23.5 version? Are you using the x86 or the x64 executable? I'm still using my 0.23.5 installation, because I have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach when it comes to my RSS/RO installations. However, if it really is more stable, then I guess it's time to make the switch.

I think that the crashes I met in 0.23.5 were not caused by RSS or RO. Mainly crashes occured when I attached objects(transfer stage, launch vehicle) to the plane and it took me long time to figure out what parts caused it. Also the game used to crash after big number of reverts and launches. Now I don't have these bugs and moreover I have much better performance(KSP physics time ratio used to slow down to 0.3 near launch sites in older version, now it's fine). Oh, and don't forget the new awesome planets! I think it's worth moving to the new version.

Forgot to say, I'm using x86 executable. The only time I tried 64 bit version the game lagged hard even in space and finally crashed. I wanted to finish the mission, so I haven't tried it again yet.

I think that the crashes I met in 0.23.5 were not caused by RSS or RO. Mainly crashes occured when I attached objects(transfer stage, launch vehicle) to the plane and it took me long time to figure out what parts caused it. Also the game used to crash after big number of reverts and launches. Now I don't have these bugs and moreover I have much better performance(KSP physics time ratio used to slow down to 0.3 near launch sites in older version, now it's fine). Oh, and don't forget the new awesome planets! I think it's worth moving to the new version.

Forgot to say, I'm using x86 executable. The only time I tried 64 bit version the game lagged hard even in space and finally crashed. I wanted to finish the mission, so I haven't tried it again yet.

I've also noticed a MASSIVE performance increase in ROS/RSS since using x86 KSP. It's awesome!

Another new 3 kerbal capsule using Apollo CM.

KC3zIKf.png

gIVhSQR.png

HOqN3uY.png

fD6UzOB.png

SnhWqcs.png

EYU2PKl.png

CoM is NOT off center because I didn't need a lifting body to safely reenter the atmosphere from LEO. If this was from the moon I definetly would have done that.

I had to add many more rcs thrusters on this craft due to the lack of control I wanted with the stock CM. I originally had no pitch, translation or roll control with the pod itself so I attached a few gemini thrusters on the side for that added control.

This is the pod I plan on using for my missions to the space station I plan on building soon in LEO.

UPDATED:

Moved on from Prototyping to actual 1st of new class of spacecraft, the Starling -1:

LV0gNsC.png

OvA02Dw.png

UYhacXo.png

p8wYvDp.png

PSQblEe.png

All RCS are perfectly balanced for translation AND rotation. Ideal for orbital docking and reentry control. 21 days of life support.

Rocket:

mEoKX9W.png

rzwAhZ2.png

EzhuiQP.png

Edited by TeeGee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.