Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

I just started using RSS proper (you may know me as the 6.4:1 Kerbin guy) and decided I needed a heavy lifter for Earth. I turned to Mother Russia for the answer.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

22 RD-171M in total plus twelve of those boosters to get it off the pad (not sure what they're called). It puts 574 tons into LEO and the final orbit will look a lot better with a properly aerodynamic payload, less messing around with flight characteristics, and a decent ascent profile. Still needs some work but the first flight went exceedingly well.

E: You know what I love about RO/RSS/Procedural Parts? That entire thing was 54 parts.

Edited by regex

I just started using RSS proper (you may know me as the 6.4:1 Kerbin guy) and decided I needed a heavy lifter for Earth. I turned to Mother Russia for the answer.

http://imgur.com/a/49zS7

22 RD-171M in total plus twelve of those boosters to get it off the pad (not sure what they're called). It puts 574 tons into LEO and the final orbit will look a lot better with a properly aerodynamic payload, less messing around with flight characteristics, and a decent ascent profile. Still needs some work but the first flight went exceedingly well.

E: You know what I love about RO/RSS/Procedural Parts? That entire thing was 54 parts.

Take THAT SLS!!! Congrats, you've beat NASA!

Damn this is impressive! Probably in real life it would make a crater by ingiting all engines!

I think that you should replace your cylinder fuel tanks with conic fuel tanks to make the rocket look more aerodynamic, or at least make it for the third stage.

By the way, I also like RD-171, it's the best engine for launch vehicles.

Damn this is impressive! Probably in real life it would make a crater by ingiting all engines!

Heh! Imagine if there was an accident on the pad, all that RP-1/LOX...

I think that you should replace your cylinder fuel tanks with conic fuel tanks to make the rocket look more aerodynamic, or at least make it for the third stage.

By the way, I also like RD-171, it's the best engine for launch vehicles.

I agree about the RD-171, fantastic engine. I've made some refinements to the launcher; keep in mind that the original was a test case. The next iteration uses an additional second stage engine (4 now) and replaces the 12 UA1205 boosters with 8 Space Shuttle SRBs. This gives a much better TWR off the pad and for circularization, which makes it easier to control overall. It also carries a 15m payload fairing base for 575 tons to LEO. It may not be the biggest launcher in RSS history, but I'm pretty happy with it and will hopefully be able to realize my goal of using hypergolics to get some Kerbals to Jupiter.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It may not be the biggest launcher in RSS history, but I'm pretty happy with it and will hopefully be able to realize my goal of using hypergolics to get some Kerbals to Jupiter.

http://imgur.com/a/xXECc

In KSP you can do anything... well almost.

By the way I have the complete opposite of Regex's Launch Vehicle: the SX-1

Four stage, first three solid and the fourth MMH+N2O4, can get about 200kg into a 400km orbit.

n4FPvoy.png?1

By the way I have the complete opposite of Regex's Launch Vehicle: the SX-1

Four stage, first three solid and the fourth MMH+N2O4, can get about 200kg into a 400km orbit.

I've always wanted to do a Minotaur style launcher. How's it fly?

NSG98rg.png

Just installed RSS to a .24 game, and I love it. Delta IV heavy style rockets are nice, 15t to 300kmx300km orbit. 3 F-1A's and 6 AJ-73F SRB's. The payload is that procedural dummy payload from Stupid_Chris. (and why is my flag the stock one?)

YSlYMa9.png SRB ignition to give it a TWR better than 0.7

I've always wanted to do a Minotaur style launcher. How's it fly?

Quite well, although I had to use Hydrazine to keep it straight from stage 2 upwards. And at some point the RCS started thrusting in the opposite direction... orbited safely the 110kg payload, with 1500 m/s dV remaining, which is half of the last stage dV. If you want I can give a DL link, just tell me.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my Beta I craft. It carries around 28 tons to LEO. It uses 3 SSME´s in its first stage and one J-2 in its second stage.

JtQqFy6.png

I am also working on Beta II, which is a heavier version of Beta I. It has an wider first stage and 2 SRB´s (Pics will come soon).

Hey, I'm new to RSS, and I have a couple questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. What do you guys use to control your large launchers? It seems all of the heavy launch engines have no gimballing, and none of you guys seem to use wings or RCS.

2. Where are the download links to the crafts in this thread? It says that people should post the craft files for their crafts but I can't find them. Are they in the imgur links or something? I would really like to have a look at the heavy (>500t) launchers and see how the makers constructed them...

Hey, I'm new to RSS, and I have a couple questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. What do you guys use to control your large launchers? It seems all of the heavy launch engines have no gimballing, and none of you guys seem to use wings or RCS.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you are using Realism Overhaul and there is something wrong with your installation. Or perhaps you are playing career mode, and it's the earliest heavy engines that have no gimbal. Most heavy launch engines certainly do have gimbals (albeit limited in range and slow to respond). Winglets are certainly an option, and I personally usually use them. Mostly for roll control though, I wouldn't rely on them for all my maneuvering.

2. Where are the download links to the crafts in this thread? It says that people should post the craft files for their crafts but I can't find them. Are they in the imgur links or something? I would really like to have a look at the heavy (>500t) launchers and see how the makers constructed them...

I think that people are not posting links upfront because there are so many possible combinations of mods possible in RSS that it can be tricky to make someone else's craft work on your setup. People would certainly be willing to share their crafts together with instructions to make them work if you request them, so I think you should just call out, or better yet, PM, the authors of the crafts that you are interested in.

RCS for a first stage isn't a good idea. Save it for your last ascent stage/orbital maneuvering stage. I believe some people, like me, like to "hide" RCS ports under fairings. Something like: 4x 2-way RCS under 1/2 stage fairing, near the engine and another 4x 2-way RCS .... under payload fairing. Your rocket looks smooth, but you have fine controls. Just don't use RCS before separating fairings, for a more realistic touch.

Hey guys, does this look familiar?

gbzX3Vg.jpg?1

Nope, that ain't a Space Shuttle. Doesn't look like Buran either, huh? Well, Space Shuttle and Buran had a baby!

1253t with max payload (15t). 2x SSME on the rocket (Energia style), 2x SRB (SS style, but they burn for 180s, I plan to make them recoverable). Lift Vehicle itself is 41m x 6m, so it's smaller than SSET and Energia. It can be (and will be!), used as a 1st stage for a heavy lift vehicle.

Shuttle itself has 2x jet engines to help with landing. Cannot take off horizontally yet, but it's still a WIP, it even doesn't have a name yet!

And, best of all for lazy people - it's made to be compatible with MechJeb Ascent autopilot!

Let me know if anyone's interested in craft file, it requires some additional configs, like SSMEs for RftS pack and mixing new (5.0) B9 with the old one.

Edited by Rothank
Didn't want to double-post.

my Ares I replica: http://imgur.com/a/1pL28 it was my first rocket i built in realism overhaul that i got to orbit in. i also performed my first rendezvous between two of the Orion MPCV. currently i'm working on a Ares V launcher that's a little more accurate and will launch the EDS where i can prepare it to go to the moon and beyond!

my Ares I replica: http://imgur.com/a/1pL28 it was my first rocket i built in realism overhaul that i got to orbit in. i also performed my first rendezvous between two of the Orion MPCV. currently i'm working on a Ares V launcher that's a little more accurate and will launch the EDS where i can prepare it to go to the moon and beyond!

craft file please

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.