Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

Well, I thought I'd like to show off my RSS working Soyuz replica, with a replica launcher too :P

Uses Novapunch, stretchy tanks, TAC life support, DRE, RSS, FAR, and a few parts from other mods

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Wasn't too sure about the top part of it, the part above the crew module of the soyuz, any comments?

ApzijOe.png

Unfortunatley, i also have deadly reentry (to make it more realistic), and i have been having a problem with reentry. The heatsheilds just burn up. Anyone have any good heatsheilds, or ways of reentering?

DjqbPWs.png

And yes, Jeb can exit and enter the cockpit even with the clipping :)

Any comments?

Well, I believe Soyuz is the name of the payload, but i think it is one with the lifter, as in they share a name. Haven't found a name for the lifter anywhere. But i did make this one carry a Soyuz spacecraft :http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/72041-ShowCase-of-anything-Real-Solar-System-Related?p=1025870&viewfull=1#post1025870

Edit: although, the unmanned progress does seem to use the same launcher, so it must have a name. I should make progress next!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Yay! Another one! But, Soyuz is the spacecraft or the lifter?

In fact, it's both the name of the spacecraft and the R-7 derived lifter. The spacecraft is only ever launched with the soyuz rocket, but the lifter itself is also used for other payloads.

The fact that four launch clamps can support that is amazing :D
Yeah 1768 tons on four clamps. Impressive.

You know, when it's on the right side I need eight clamps (for SRBs too)...I didn't expect four to support them! I was like: it's gonna collapse any second now... any second now... see collapsed! Ah no that was debris. (cit.) Instead, it stayed in place until I launched it. Not much to say :D

So, I'm almost finished updating my Space Launch System Block I. The biggest change (it's a completely new design) is the scale. The previous design was a proportional/scaled down model fit to a 4 meter command pod. This version is 5 meter like the real Orion MPCV, i.e. it's full scale! I've also swapped the RS-25 engines to the ones from dtobi's Space Shuttle Engines pack (with RealEngines config, courtesy of SFJackBauer), since they're pretty much an exact replica of the real RS-25s. As always, I strive to make them as accurate as possible. The core stage is the same size, the boosters are as well, and the upper stage is as close as I can (blueprints that show every dimensions are hard to find, but basic widths and lengths are available on Wikipedia and NASA sites).

It's a bit easier to fly, and the way I got the 5 meter command pod is I duplicated the folder for the Mk1-2 pod and changed the rescale factor. I'll show a tutorial on how to get that pod for yourself! I also edited the config for SDHI (Sumghai's Orion look-alike set) to match the new 5 meter scale. That will also have to be edited, but it actually makes sense since this is RSS and it's an Orion look-alike pack, so rescaling them is a good idea. (Maybe I can talk to NathanKell about integrating that into the pack, who knows? :wink:)

Anyways, here's the pictures. Download will come up soon, this post will be edited. The RS-25 engines are so efficient that the core stage alone can be brought into orbit! I even drained some fuel to increase the TWR after boosters separation, and it still holds a lot of LH2 and LOX.

I think there is a different set of settings for the RSS mod and DRE. I can't remember what they are but I know Nathen Kell is the one to ask though.

Well i don't actually want to change the settings, they're fine for everything else, and i like it realistic. It's just that none of the heat-shields, except for a 2.5 meter one, can survive reentry.

Well i don't actually want to change the settings, they're fine for everything else, and i like it realistic. It's just that none of the heat-shields, except for a 2.5 meter one, can survive reentry.

Are you using Realism Overhaul?

If you aren't, and you haven't changed the settings at all, that's probably the issue.

As far as I know, DRE's heat-shield parts are intentionally weak by default because otherwise a stock KSP 2.4 km/s reentry would be absurdly easy, so they won't survive a realistic reentry. Realism Overhaul buffs the heat shields so they're compatible with RSS.

NathanKell says:

3. Playing on Real-scale Kerbin (RSS), want realistic heating: don't change anything. Use RSS class heat shields.

You can get heatshields configured for RSS, and much more, in the Realism Overhaul release thread.

If you mean that you can get other vehicles to reenter safely in RSS, something might be wrong with your craft, reentry profile, or DRE install. In any case, I'd ask NathanKell about it.

Copy/Pasted from RSS Launchers MegaThread... :) Nice work to everything here! :)

So, I'm almost finished updating my Space Launch System Block I. The biggest change (it's a completely new design) is the scale. The previous design was a proportional/scaled down model fit to a 4 meter command pod. This version is 5 meter like the real Orion MPCV, i.e. it's full scale! I've also swapped the RS-25 engines to the ones from dtobi's Space Shuttle Engines pack (with RealEngines config, courtesy of SFJackBauer), since they're pretty much an exact replica of the real RS-25s. As always, I strive to make them as accurate as possible. The core stage is the same size, the boosters are as well, and the upper stage is as close as I can (blueprints that show every dimensions are hard to find, but basic widths and lengths are available on Wikipedia and NASA sites).

It's a bit easier to fly, and the way I got the 5 meter command pod is I duplicated the folder for the Mk1-2 pod and changed the rescale factor. I'll show a tutorial on how to get that pod for yourself! I also edited the config for SDHI (Sumghai's Orion look-alike set) to match the new 5 meter scale. That will also have to be edited, but it actually makes sense since this is RSS and it's an Orion look-alike pack, so rescaling them is a good idea. (Maybe I can talk to NathanKell about integrating that into the pack, who knows? :wink:)

Anyways, here's the pictures. Download will come up soon, this post will be edited. The RS-25 engines are so efficient that the core stage alone can be brought into orbit! I even drained some fuel to increase the TWR after boosters separation, and it still holds a lot of LH2 and LOX.

Rfr5xtt.png

Traveler I:

Launched on a Titan IV-B. Fueled mass was 4.1t, dry mass was 1.62t. Direct to Jupiter, where I made a powered gravity assist, after dropping my periapsis low enough to put Traveler I on a solar escape trajectory. Mission ended with the use of all fuel, as well as attitude control propellant, and pointing the high-gain antenna towards earth.

And because what space program wouldn't be complete without a heavy lift aircraft.

Here is my C-1... granted it is very close to the C-17 Globemaster.

Hi7LlxP.jpg

rvr3NA3.jpg

e99Ab6J.jpg

DPGq8UH.jpg

Yes it has a LOT of engines....

But it can lift over 120 tons!

af1kTXj.jpg

SvDf3oi.jpg

Edited by Hodo

http://imgur.com/a/QC0If

I. Want. It. Now.

In fact, it's both the name of the spacecraft and the R-7 derived lifter. The spacecraft is only ever launched with the soyuz rocket, but the lifter itself is also used for other payloads.

Yeah, I knew about it. I said that because I saw that the spacecraft had only one crewmember, while the Soyuz has at least two (in older versions), and three in newer versions. However thanks for your time, I appreciate that. :)

And then you come, and make me go cry in my room because I thought that I was an awesome builder. An hearty well done :)! How much parts are there?

About 520. Lags to hell.

But I've launched 500 part rockets before that don't lag nearly as much. I'm thinking it might be FAR being more expensive for larger crafts (larger reference area).

*Edit

Well this is a bit of a bummer. I made orbit, all 320 tons, and then the NERVAs exploded.... From reentry...

... Wat?

NERVAoverheat.png

Edited by maccollo

Mr. Rocket fear my new heavy lifter! No wait... there is something wrong in this picture... Wernher what have you smoked?! :P

http://i.imgur.com/6UkQsTN.png

"This end should point towards the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today."

I'm sorry, I had to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.