Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

• 2 weeks later...
Space Launch System Block II with Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle

Here is the craft file for my rendition of the Crewed Space Launch System Block II. This has been tested to work with Modular Fuel System v3.2 with KATO engines.cfg. A cargo version of the craft is almost ready, I just need to fix a few things on it. I also plan to do more rockets based on real life designs.

Note that the SRBs might move away from the radial decouplers when loading the craft in the VAB. This is a bug with Stretchy SRBs.

Mods Required:

Stretchy SRBs (Stretchy Tanks v5)

AEIS

SDHI

Procedural Fairings

KSPX

Mechjeb

Novapunch

Action Groups:

1 - Deploy Solar Panels

2 - Deploy Parachutes

0 - Decouple Launch Tower and Capsule Faring (for use after Abort)

Basic Vessel Stats:

Vessel Takeoff Mass: 624.32 Tons

Stage 1 Thrust: 8561 kN

Total Vacuum Delta V 12417 m/s

Craft File Link

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/450653562129919078/2CA9B70F6A75EED84CA95A0918C52094BDEDD114/

i knew someone would beat me to it . Pesky kids heheheheheh

I managed to make a stock(alike) space plane for RSS.

Well kinda. The plane part doesn't actually breach the Kármán line, also it can only launch 2 tons, but it's something =P

Here's my attempt at a realistic approach at a reusable vehicle between the Kerbin-Duna run. I decided not to send any kerman until they overcome the weightlessness problem (yep, that's where I draw the line for safety). I've made it so its a two kerbal craft, hence the "escape pods". When it becomes outdated, this vehicle can detach the engine section for use as a station over Duna. Recycling for the future!

CLnP5b0.png

aX5pIjp.png

4UX68hB.png

MGAWSzK.png

• 3 weeks later...

So I built my first Mach 4+ aircraft....

FR-100

be9YLZA.jpg

0BeJlKC.jpg

Topped out at Mach 4.225 at an altitude of 24.5km

dEo7yRq.jpg

Then there was a minor fueling error, that caused the aircraft to pitch up violently and uncontrollably. Forcing the crew to eject and glide away from the stricken craft safely.

KXEYGn3.jpg

Jeb and Bill safely back on the ground somewhere in central Africa.

Next step for the Republic of Africa's space program is to do a Linear Aerospike test on the back of the FR-100 and see if it can push it passed the 32km altitude it achieved in its maiden test flight.

One step closer to a working SSTO space plane again.

I like the crew cabin. It's like a plane in a plane. Can it glide and land like a plane on its own?

It has very poor glide characteristics. But it was able to turn 180deg and glide for about 20km before I had to deploy the chutes. Granted they ejected at Mach 3.7 so even a rock would glide quite well at those speeds.

Genius Evil, that is really cool. Can you give me a list of the mods you are using?

Glad you like it:)

The Realism Overhaul package (RSS, RO, FAR, Realfuels, etc)

Procedural Parts

KW Rocketry, Novapunch, and AIES Aerospace (with Reaching for the Stars configs)

FASA Gemini, with Red8vr's realism patches

ECLSS Life Support

Procedural Fairings

Blackheart612's Procedural Parts & Procedural Fairings textures (really great textures)

and Ferram4's Saturn and Nova Textures (also awesome).

Also there are some Kerbal Attachment system parts on the TKS.

This rocket may be a little overpowered...

Let me present you, the N1-SIV Centaur. 5794.924t on the pad. It packs a real punch at liftoff, about 63810 kN of pure NK-33s.

Created using a Atlas V Double-Centaur upper stage, a Saturn V SIVB third stage, a N1 Blok B second stage and a really uprated N1 Blok A. It lifts a Cryogenic Soyrion.:cool:

LlBzYpr.png

Here are launch vehicles I use. I wanted to send payload to space, not invent new rockets, so mainly I copied existing launchers. :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You see, launching stuff into space takes even more boosters in RSS mod. The classical "add more boosters" technique couldn't help Jebediah any longer, so he invented a re-entry vehicle requiring less boosters.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.