[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Meanwhile, as I'm having the same issue, I just assign the chutes to an action group to keep from staging one too many things. I haven't found the 'empty stage' trick to work very well. The empty stages sometimes self-delete.

There's no empty stage 'trick'. I only asked about empty stages to raise the possibility that people were having trouble activating chutes through staging because of empty (or phantom) stages that sometimes get left in the staging list when decoupling things. It wasn't intended as a workaround or anything. Just thought it might be a possible cause.

I run KSP on MAC and noticed a incompatibility report with RealChute and Unity 4.5.3p2. Is this something to be concerned about?

I thought Chris disabled Real Chute if there was a Unity discrepancy because he had no mac to test on. (Mac KSP uses a different version of Unity than PC's do)

If it actually works for you then the incompatibility message is a warning and don't worry about it. If it doesn't work then don't expect to be able to get support from Chris about it .

I thought Chris disabled Real Chute if there was a Unity discrepancy because he had no mac to test on. (Mac KSP uses a different version of Unity than PC's do)

If it actually works for you then the incompatibility message is a warning and don't worry about it. If it doesn't work then don't expect to be able to get support from Chris about it .

Yes, Real Chute still works normally. I did notice a issue but I do not think its mod related as it affects stock parachutes too. When I go to activate a parachute through staging, they do not automaticlly deploy when they should do. Hitting space bar a second time makes them deploy. Its not breaking just annoying I have to activate stage twice.

Yes, Real Chute still works normally. I did notice a issue but I do not think its mod related as it affects stock parachutes too. When I go to activate a parachute through staging, they do not automaticlly deploy when they should do. Hitting space bar a second time makes them deploy. Its not breaking just annoying I have to activate stage twice.

Right, the staging thing has been talked about for several pages now. You might want to think about assigning them to an action group.

I've searched the thread for the issue that keeps irritating me in this otherwise awesome mod, but only found one or two posts on it, but they did not help me much.

I'm talking about the autocut "feature". Is there any chance to let us disable it completely? I wanted to be able to land my vertical rocket on uneven terrain - turns out I cannot, because as soon as I touch the ground, the chutes cut and the craft falls to the side (and gets destroyed). Similar problem with splash landings: the rocket sinks to some depth, chutes cut, then it floats upwards and tilts to the side (this results in "vehicle splashed down hard and was destroyed").

I have tried setting the autocut speed to 0.01m/s but it never helps with the splash landing, rarely with ground landings. I'm 100% positive that if there was a way to have the chutes stay deployed no matter what, my craft would finally be able to land safely.

I've searched the thread for the issue that keeps irritating me in this otherwise awesome mod, but only found one or two posts on it, but they did not help me much.

I'm talking about the autocut "feature". Is there any chance to let us disable it completely? I wanted to be able to land my vertical rocket on uneven terrain - turns out I cannot, because as soon as I touch the ground, the chutes cut and the craft falls to the side (and gets destroyed). Similar problem with splash landings: the rocket sinks to some depth, chutes cut, then it floats upwards and tilts to the side (this results in "vehicle splashed down hard and was destroyed").

I have tried setting the autocut speed to 0.01m/s but it never helps with the splash landing, rarely with ground landings. I'm 100% positive that if there was a way to have the chutes stay deployed no matter what, my craft would finally be able to land safely.

This can be turned off. Don't ask me how.

Bug help: Bear with me here, I'm on my mobile away from home so can't check anything. I got the "no Kerbin & only half a ship" bug yesterday trying to return to an active flight. Another modded pointed me towards RealChutes as the culprit. I *think* I have the current version but I could be wrong, it should be pretty obvious from the log file. If I'm missing anything for a "proper" bug report plZ let me know and I'll fill in. Win8.1x64, KSPx32

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpbt86d35obo611/output_log.txt?dl=0

Bug help: Bear with me here, I'm on my mobile away from home so can't check anything. I got the "no Kerbin & only half a ship" bug yesterday trying to return to an active flight. Another modded pointed me towards RealChutes as the culprit. I *think* I have the current version but I could be wrong, it should be pretty obvious from the log file. If I'm missing anything for a "proper" bug report plZ let me know and I'll fill in. Win8.1x64, KSPx32

I believe the latest version of Real Chutes hasn't been updated to 0.25 yet. So this is a known issue. The fix seems to be, to ONLY used RealChute parachutes, and not use any of the stock chutes. That seems to do the trick. There was another fix on erasing a cfg file somewhere, which I tried, but I thought it created another bug (excessive heat), but I was just popping my chutes too early (new DRE requires you to pop them when you're a lot slower than before - ~400 m/s for me).

Edit: To clarify, this happens with Deadly Re-entry.

Edited by Soda Popinski

With the new DRE and current Realchutes problems since .25 release, what this mod needs is a 'ribbon chute' setting in the combo (or ribbon chute setting for the drogue chute) to believably handle deployment of stabilization/velocity control chutes at higher speeds.

Hmm.... I recall seeing an "autocut delay" setting or some such. Perhaps that's what you're looking for? Maybe set it to a few seconds?

Possibly I'm blind, but I can't find such setting. There is a deployment timer, but it doesn't sound like the one I'm looking for. The only other time settings are pre deployment speed and deployment speed, but I don't believe they have anything to do with autocut. Ones that look like related are autocut speed and autocut altitude, but neither let me disable or delay autocut.

This can be turned off. Don't ask me how.

Fine. Could you at least point me to some further reading on this mod? I wish there was a wiki or some other explanation for it.

I think the autocut setting is in the chute editor for individual chutes. Did you want to be able to disable autocut per chute or a global setting?

Per chute, but if the only way to do that is a global setting - I'll live with it.

Possibly I'm blind, but I can't find such setting. There is a deployment timer, but it doesn't sound like the one I'm looking for. The only other time settings are pre deployment speed and deployment speed, but I don't believe they have anything to do with autocut. Ones that look like related are autocut speed and autocut altitude, but neither let me disable or delay autocut.

Fine. Could you at least point me to some further reading on this mod? I wish there was a wiki or some other explanation for it.

Per chute, but if the only way to do that is a global setting - I'll live with it.

Yes it's a global setting, no it can't be turned off.

Yes it's a global setting, no it can't be turned off.

Well, shame - that was one of the reasons I've installed the mod. Could I kindly request this feature in a future release, or is it something you're not willing to fiddle with?

For now I've solved it with manually editing the craft file and setting the autocut speed to 0 (something the editor won't let me do, and will complain about if I load the craft and try to edit the chute settings).

Well, shame - that was one of the reasons I've installed the mod. Could I kindly request this feature in a future release, or is it something you're not willing to fiddle with?

For now I've solved it with manually editing the craft file and setting the autocut speed to 0 (something the editor won't let me do, and will complain about if I load the craft and try to edit the chute settings).

As of right now, I'm not fiddling with anything at all.

I believe the latest version of Real Chutes hasn't been updated to 0.25 yet. So this is a known issue. The fix seems to be, to ONLY used RealChute parachutes, and not use any of the stock chutes. That seems to do the trick. There was another fix on erasing a cfg file somewhere, which I tried, but I thought it created another bug (excessive heat), but I was just popping my chutes too early (new DRE requires you to pop them when you're a lot slower than before - ~400 m/s for me).

Edit: To clarify, this happens with Deadly Re-entry.

Yes, according to the OP it's updated to .25. I am using the most current, x.x.x.2. The offending vessel has nothing but a realchute stack chute. What fix on what CGF?

Loading from the tracking station doesn't work so I tried rendezvousing... as soon as the ship got within 2.5k the game bogged down, lots of errors in the log. When I got close enough there was no ship there, only a flame that looked like it may have been a DRE flame. Here's log two:

Can someone who's smarter than me PLEASE look at this thing and at least point me somewhere (A CGF "somewhere" isn't much help)?? Right now my game is effectively dead as apparently I can't leave anything in orbit with a chute and come back to it later.

Can someone who's smarter than me PLEASE look at this thing and at least point me somewhere (A CGF "somewhere" isn't much help)?? Right now my game is effectively dead as apparently I can't leave anything in orbit with a chute and come back to it later.

Is the vessel in question an HGR Soy-Juice vessel? The log mentions it just before problems happen and they have a MM config that tries to enable RealChutes. Also latest on KerbalStuff is 1.2.5.3 not 1.2.5.2. There are differences some between the two versions. Also note that with 1.2.5.3 you need to use an action group or right click menu to arm/deploy chutes not the staging interface.

It is, however there's no parachute integral to it, and the only parachute on the vessel is the single RealChutes stack chute. According to the OP, 1.2.5.2 was current, I'll give it a try with .3.

ETA: ok sigh of relief here, thank you. Updated to .3 and also updated DRE while I was at it and that seems to have fixed it for the moment, I was able to switch to the ship again. Now he's gotta last the next 15 hours or so till I get home from work and can properly deorbit.

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

Okay so here's my bug report.

KSP: 0.25 32bit

Problem: Parachute will not arm when staging the first time. Staging it a second time will cause it to arm.

Mods Installed:

RealChute 1.2.5.3

Reproduction:

Make a craft with a RealChute parachute and deploy it while falling in Kerbin atmosphere.

YouTube Video: Video

Output File: Link

Problem: Parachute will not arm when staging the first time. Staging it a second time will cause it to arm.

Known bug. Either activate chutes with an action group or build the github version 1.2.5.2. Warning... 1.2.5.2 is reported to make DRE very unhappy and may be missing other bugfixes.

Okay, different bug. Seems that every 'chute that uses realchute plugin loses all parachute capability. No staging, no action group option, nothing 'chute related in right click menu. Any ideas?

What exactly happens?

Are you using Deadly Reentry? If so, check the mission log (Press F3).

Okay, different bug. Seems that every 'chute that uses realchute plugin loses all parachute capability. No staging, no action group option, nothing 'chute related in right click menu. Any ideas?

Did you perhaps get a warning that you are running KSP in x64 mode? And a Nyan cat at the loading screen. That is the exact behavior of RealChute disabling itself on x64. The models remain but they have no functionality. This behavior is correct.

Not using DR, and yes, I get the nyan cat. I did not realise Realchute disabled on x64. It worked fine in .24 x64...

Yeah people discovered that x64 especially on 0.25 does bad bad stuff to mods so many of the mods you love will disable themselves. Sorry about that. x86 works pretty well though, I have a decent mod load and it still fits in memory.

Edited by bobprime

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.