[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

See this post for detailed instructions.

The most common trip-ups with RealChute:

#1: 64-bit Windows. Chris got fed up with x64 support requests (because for some people, including Chris, Windows x64 is an unstable piece of crap), and disabled his mod for Windows x64. Linux x64 works perfectly well. Use 32-bit, use Linux 64-bit, or eliminate the check from the source code and recompile*.

#2: The stock parachute configuration file (in RealChute/Module Manager) causes major issues: either delete the config, or never use stock parachutes.

#3: Wait until 200-250 m/s to deploy your parachutes if using Deadly Reentry. Supersonic speeds eat parachutes, and the speed of sound is ~330-350 m/s.

*It basically means reprogramming his mod yourself to eliminate the x64 check. Also, if you go this route, just be aware that Chris won't lift a finger to fix bugs for you: you recompile at your own risk with no expectation of support.

#rolleyes

Why can't the mods that dislike 64bit simply have a config option to re-enable rather than bricking parts and confusing a pile of people?

Do I love the mod enough to recompile myself without that irritating checker? Yes, thankfully.

Because, for the billionth time *people do not listen*. It has been tried before.

They do not listen when mod authors say "Do not report WinX64 bugs here"

They do not listen when mod authors say "Re-enable at own risk, warranty void"

If it's 'confusing a pile of people', it's because they *do not listen*, and do not read the OP before downloading.

Is it so much to ask that people RTFM before complaining?

This is not a case of 'disliking' x64, it's a case of getting fed up with dealing with irrelevant bugs outside the authors control and a constant stream of people who apparently cannot read.

Edited by steve_v

Because, for the billionth time *people do not listen*. It has been tried before.

Schnip

I get it, I really do. But I think the same people who don't RTFM, are instead of coming here to list a bug that may only exist on 64 bit, now come here wondering why their parts are bricked. All it does is shift the reason for people posting, instead of eliminating the fact that they do. The people who don't RTFM aren't going to go digging around the forums like I did to figure out why their stuff isn't working. They're gonna come right here and post looking for a direct answer.

I'll admit when I first encountered it I thought it was a bug. But having encountered it with ferram previously, I was a little more well informed. It doesn't help that the "I hate win64 and so does my mod" message is fairly far down the initial post. Typically I read change logs, see [.25] in the thread title, and assume it'll work, taking into the account that it's 64bit and any and all bugs are on me for using it, I'm fine with that. It would help if that message was a) higher up, and B) in the thread title.

I may disagree with hard disabling it, and feel it causes just as much confusion as unwanted "bug reports", but it's the author's decision. I just think it might be nice to see that message clear as day right above the download button and/or other visible spots.

Good example: Nertea's near future mods. Granted s/he doesn't hard disable (thank god), but that message of no support is right at the top in nice big red text. Sort of hard to miss when it's the first thing one's browser loads. :)

I'm gonna shut up now, since this has been rehashed probably a few thousand times.

Edited by Immashift

I'll admit when I first encountered it I thought it was a bug. But having encountered it with ferram previously, I was a little more well informed. It doesn't help that the "I hate win64 and so does my mod" message is fairly far down the initial post. Typically I read change logs, see [.25] in the thread title, and assume it'll work, taking into the account that it's 64bit and any and all bugs are on me for using it, I'm fine with that. It would help if that message was a) higher up, and B) in the thread title.

I may disagree with hard disabling it, and feel it causes just as much confusion as unwanted "bug reports", but it's the author's decision. I just think it might be nice to see that message clear as day right above the download button and/or other visible spots.

Hey there you might have noticed that I didn't reply in this thread in over two weeks. Actually I haven't been on here for more than five minutes from the actual website and not the mobile version, so please excuse me for attending to real life instead of sorting through issues and very specific user issues in this thread.

Alright this being said peeps, I just wanted to say I flipping finally got my laptop back. This also happens to coincide with two very intense weeks of exams/lab reports at college, so I won't be around much for just a lil longer now. I've put just a little work into RealChute, and I'm hoping to push a small bugfixing update before the end of the month. The staging issue seems to be fixed, and I'm looking into the stock chutes issue. We'll see how it fares. If there's any other issue you guys have noticed, I'd very much like a few logs an an explanation of the issue to help.

Alright this being said peeps, I just wanted to say I flipping finally got my laptop back. This also happens to coincide with two very intense weeks of exams/lab reports at college, so I won't be around much for just a lil longer now. I've put just a little work into RealChute, and I'm hoping to push a small bugfixing update before the end of the month. The staging issue seems to be fixed, and I'm looking into the stock chutes issue. We'll see how it fares. If there's any other issue you guys have noticed, I'd very much like a few logs an an explanation of the issue to help.

Ugh I know how exams and reports go :( end of the year is killer in college. Best of luck sir! Glad to hear your got your laptop back! (Though, what happened to it??)

Looking forward to the updates. Thanks for all your hard work stupid_chris!

Ugh I know how exams and reports go :( end of the year is killer in college. Best of luck sir! Glad to hear your got your laptop back! (Though, what happened to it??)

Looking forward to the updates. Thanks for all your hard work stupid_chris!

The fan broke and it had to be changed. Took a while.

Great to hear that you are almost back, best luck for the last exams.

:)

I get it, I really do. But I think the same people who don't RTFM, are instead of coming here to list a bug that may only exist on 64 bit, now come here wondering why their parts are bricked. All it does is shift the reason for people posting, instead of eliminating the fact that they do. The people who don't RTFM aren't going to go digging around the forums like I did to figure out why their stuff isn't working. They're gonna come right here and post looking for a direct answer

Which is exactly what makes the whole "hard-disable on 64bit" idea complete BS. Instead of seeing people complain about bugs, they're now complaining about "features". If somebody can't read, he can't read, and if a mod doesn't work he'll complain anyway. And to boot, you also have to deal with people who do know what is happening, and hate being boned like that (especially if they're not coders and have no means of re-enabling the plugin).

Edited by Guest

Which is exactly what makes the whole "hard-disable on 64bit" idea complete BS. Instead of seeing people complain about bugs, they're now complaining about "features". If somebody can't read, he can't read, and if a mod doesn't work he'll complain anyway. And to boot, you also have to deal with people who do know what is happening, and hate being boned like that (especially if they're not coders and have no means of re-enabling the plugin).

I think I stated more than enough now that this discussion is over, just please stop bringing this back.

Alright, I had some spare time between exams to put just a liuttle work into this.

From what it seems, the issues with stock chutes are resolved. I've also found a new, simpler fix for quicksaving/quickloading that fully works, the issues seem to be gone. Also fixed the non-ability to repack if there had been a loading sequence between the deployment and the repacking.

That said, I'll sleep it off for now.

Alright, I had some spare time between exams to put just a liuttle work into this.

From what it seems, the issues with stock chutes are resolved. I've also found a new, simpler fix for quicksaving/quickloading that fully works, the issues seem to be gone. Also fixed the non-ability to repack if there had been a loading sequence between the deployment and the repacking.

That said, I'll sleep it off for now.

Woot! progress, Thank you very much for everything. Now go in a sleep comma:wink:

stupid_chris You are cordially invited to this thread (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99961-Mun-Missing-in-SOE-Parts-missing-dragging-in-Mun-SOE) as it appears your mod v1.2.5.2 went all deathstar on the mun, the ship, and the save in general. :-)

On a side Note...Looks like Gunther had one to many espresso's.

Edited by SyberSmoke

Do yourself a favor and watch Adventure Time if you haven't already.

ive seen little bits of it from time to time but unfortunately i cant check it out now as im a Dish Network customer and due to a contract dispute with Turner the Cartoon Network has been pulled until they can agree to a sum of money sufficient to satisfy Turner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.