[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Just to weigh on a bit here.

A) 64 bit is only an improvement if you have LOTS of mods - otherwise its of no relevance. (/debatable a detriment)

B) this particular mod author has stated the mod wont work in a certain version of the game. If this bothers you, use the version of the game that is supported or don't use this version of the mod.

C) this issue is bigger than just this mod - therefore go make a topic (or join one, i imagine one exists) on the topic of mods locking out 64 bit. Don't clutter this thread.

D) You have no entitlement to this (or any) mod. if the mod doesnt fit your expectations in terms of functionality or compatability and the mod author has said it isnt gonna change in favour of your opinion then i'm sorry you literally have no grounds to complain. Please feel free to create your own mod that fulfills your needs (within the terms of use and things and stuffs). Otherwise post a request for a mod that does.

E) The alternative to blocking out 64bit in this case was the mod author throwing in the towel and walking away. therefore by KEEPING BRINGING UP THE ISSUE, you are decreasing the chance of this mod existing for everyone else. so stop being selfish and take the discussion to a thread that is better suited to it, rather than jepadising the future of a mod many people greatly enjoy.

In other news, i updated a whole raft of mods (all the ones i use) and all my issues have gone, although i havent rechecked the stock chute issue, i did have an undiagnosed identical issue that i hadnt tracked down the causative part - but its been fixed by the various issues. i will be interested to see if the stock chute issue resolves through updates to mod manager.

Okay guys, this debate is over. I've had enough of that already a long time ago. So please everyone, move on to another topic or I'm going to lock the thread again.

And before someone says it: I mentioned that when I reopened the thread. That message still applies.

Edited by stupid_chris

Okay guys, this debate is over. I've had enough of that already a long time ago. So please everyone, move on to another topic or I'm going to lock the thread again.

And before someone says it: I mentioned that when I reopened the thread. That message still applies.

I think you could do yourself a favor and take some time off and ask another moderator to keep an eye at the threat to keep it ontopic.

You are really a valueable member of the community.

And to the others, it is his mod, he created it and he owns it, it is only his decision what happens with the mod. It is a gift that he offered it to the community for download and use. Some ppl might have forgotten that.

Apparently 1.2.5.3 doesn't work on stock Steam-bought OS X KSP 0.25.

According to an alert box, it's not compatible with Unity 4.5.3p2.

Unfortunately this is because the OS-X version KSP 0.25 is built on a different release of Unity than the Linux or Windows release and there is no way for stupid_chris to test on that version. Is RealChutes still working beyond just giving you the version warning?

Unfortunately this is because the OS-X version KSP 0.25 is built on a different release of Unity than the Linux or Windows release and there is no way for stupid_chris to test on that version. Is RealChutes still working beyond just giving you the version warning?

Honestly, I haven't tried. ;) I'll check and post my observations.

Is anyone experiencing chutes not being deployed first time when you press "space" to activate corresponding stage, even though corresponding sound effect seems to play? Not sure it's RC related, got quite a bunch of mods here, so I'm just guessing, because it only affects chutes so far =\

I am still having this problem, clean install and tested both in full screen and windowed. Can anyone help me out here?

Edited by mentality9

I am still having this problem, clean install and tested both in full screen and windowed. Can anyone help me out here?

The first step is to provide more information. Here's an explanation of the sort of testing you should do, and the information you should provide, to make diagnosing the cause of the bug as easy and effective as possible.

Isnt there an option in the RC gui, for chutes to automatically arm when activated in the staging menu? I 'think' the default is for them to arm automatically, could your perhaps have turned that off? or even in the settings file within the RC mod folder?

The first step is to provide more information. Here's an explanation of the sort of testing you should do, and the information you should provide, to make diagnosing the cause of the bug as easy and effective as possible.

A few people are experiencing this problem, myself included. You can go a few pages to see logs posted and more details provided. To save you the trouble:

1. Yes, all addons have been updated. I double and tripple checked this, especially Deadly Reentry.

2. As far as I can tell, yes, all addons are installed correctly and functional as expected.

3. In regards to stock KSP, the issue does not occur with stock KSP 0.25. The issue also does not occur if you uninstall just RealChutes.

4. This is on KSP 0.25 Win32

5. This doesn't look memory related.

6. Yes, this issue has been reported multiple times in 3 different places. :)

This is the log I'm seeing:

[LOG 01:47:41.287] [mk1pod (RealChute DE Test)]: Activated <--- I activate the parachute through staging

[LOG 01:47:41.287] [fuelTankSmall]: Activated

[LOG 01:47:41.288] [parachuteSingle]: Activated

[LOG 01:47:44.850] [RealChute]: parachuteSingle was activated in stage 0 <--- 3 seconds later, I press the staging key again

No other diagnostic information seems to show up in the log.

Additional information:

A. This issue happens with both RealChute chutes and stock chutes.

B. The parachute opens normally when deployed through the right-click menu, or from an action group. It seems only the execution through staging is the issue.

C. The issue happens both with "Automatic arm on deployment" on and off.

D. Originally, I suspected this is a Deadly Reentry issue, destroying my chutes. I brought this up in the Deadly Reentry thread, and the developers have resolved the issue with parachutes overheating on deployment. Since that fix, deploying the chute through right-click menu works just fine (see point B above).

Any help on this issue would be incredibly appreciated!

Would someone help me start troubleshooting an interesting problem I've found? I'm not sure if it's this mod, SDHI, or both that have this issue, but SDHI and RealChutes' parts appear to have this really weird red shading. And RealChutes' parts don't have their normal textures. I'm not sure what info I should provide, nor whether I should report this to both mod authors.

Edited by Fox62

Zeenobit, do you have an empty stage under the chute's stage when this happens? Maybe post a screenshot taken just before you try to stage the chute.

I will answer for him as I have the same problem: No empty stage under the chute. And it doesn't matter if the chute is alone in one stage or grouped with other stuff like engines. The result is always: No deployment.

I will answer for him as I have the same problem: No empty stage under the chute. And it doesn't matter if the chute is alone in one stage or grouped with other stuff like engines. The result is always: No deployment.

I have the same issue, and I can also confirm.

I searched through the thread and did not find a mention of this problem. I have found that a part that I have unlocked stays as experimental and annoys me when loading new ships and most of them have the part. It's the radial chute.

NEVERMIND

I went into the persistent file and for some reason I found that the rc.radial was under a ExpPart module. I don't really understand this, so *whew* I didn't break it but I guess that works :D

Edited by nanowinner

Zeenobit, do you have an empty stage under the chute's stage when this happens? Maybe post a screenshot taken just before you try to stage the chute.

A screenshot? I present you with a fancy album, sir! Have ALL THE screenshots!

I performed two tests, and here are the results:

This is a test with a very simple, standard rocket, all using stock beginner parts.

http://imgur.com/a/ozt6o/

Each screenshot corresponds to the state after the space bar was pressed (minus the launchpad and landing shots, for some reason imgur didn't let me edit titles to make it more clear).

Note that there is no 'phantom stage' anywhere.

The chute should've opened on the 3rd image (2nd space bar). But instead it opens on the 4th (3rd space bar, even though there were only 2 stages).

The second test is with a very slightly more complex rocket, all using stock beginner parts, simple design for an atmospheric lander.

Same format as the above:

http://imgur.com/a/082d0

(imgur let me edit the title/description of this second upload, so no explanation needed here).

The reason I did this test is because this problem becomes particularly annoying when the chute isn't the last stage, as you can see. Thankfully, I had the throttle down to 0% at the end, but if I didn't, things would go very wrong.

ALSO, make note of the 'phantom stage' 2 in the second test, after 2nd spacebar.

So in one test, I do get the phantom stage you mention, and in the other, I don't. Not sure what conclusion can be drawn from that.

But in both cases, as you can see, I need to stage twice for the parachute to go on.

For both tests, no other interaction was done with the rocket besides turning on SAS, controlling the throttle, steering the rocket to west, and pressing the spacebar to stage.

Edited by Zeenobit

So I have been having the exact same problem as @Zeenobit. With or without any other mods I always have to stage twice to get the chutes to fire. So I figured "hey I am a computer programmer, I can fix this myself". I fork RealChutes, build it without doing anything just to make sure I know how to build kerbal mods and BAM... the bug is gone. What stupid_chris has checked in and what is built into the latest version are slightly different.The repo is marked as 1.2.5.2 and what is distributed is 1.2.5.3. So something in that change seems to have broken staging for some of us. If you want to get staging to work I suggest just checking out the latest copy of the source and building it yourself.

So I have been having the exact same problem as @Zeenobit. With or without any other mods I always have to stage twice to get the chutes to fire. So I figured "hey I am a computer programmer, I can fix this myself". I fork RealChutes, build it without doing anything just to make sure I know how to build kerbal mods and BAM... the bug is gone. What stupid_chris has checked in and what is built into the latest version are slightly different.The repo is marked as 1.2.5.2 and what is distributed is 1.2.5.3. So something in that change seems to have broken staging for some of us. If you want to get staging to work I suggest just checking out the latest copy of the source and building it yourself.

Did you do a comparison of the commits to see what changed? If you click on the (should be) last commit it will tell you what it was.

The last commit was the one that pushed 1.2.5.2. As current is 1.2.5.3 that tells us that the production code is not the code in source control.

For reference the last commit is the one that actually sets the versions on AssemblyInfo.cs and on the RealChute.version file along with some cleanup code.

The last commit was the one that pushed 1.2.5.2. As current is 1.2.5.3 that tells us that the production code is not the code in source control.

For reference the last commit is the one that actually sets the versions on AssemblyInfo.cs and on the RealChute.version file along with some cleanup code.

Oops my bad, I get what you're saying now.

Oops my bad, I get what you're saying now.

I actually confused myself when I first saw it and thought there was unreleased code. Wrong way around unfortunately.

My tools tell me that the OnActive method from RealChuteModule.cs is missing in its entirety and that seems to be what calls ActiveRC().

There is code in FixedUpdate that looks for the keyDown event and also should call ActiveRC() but it seems to not be firing. My guess is that it got cleaned up as part of a quick code cleanup (at first glance it looks unneeded) but was actually being used.

Update:

I sent stupid_chris a pull request with what I hope is a fix to FixedUpdate() that works on my machine.

Edited by bobprime

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.