[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Old versions of DRE gave you 3-4 seconds of chutes actually burning on overspeed (with FX effects!) and part exploding. Now it's just a momentarily "tear off", which saves your parts but instakill predeployed chutes. Sad thing is that DRE author think that it's BETTER than old way of treating overspeed.

Basically you have no other choice than to configure chutes to predeploy at 1500 and deploy at 500. DRE kills them otherwise.

Old versions of DRE gave you 3-4 seconds of chutes actually burning on overspeed (with FX effects!) and part exploding. Now it's just a momentarily "tear off", which saves your parts but instakill predeployed chutes. Sad thing is that DRE author think that it's BETTER than old way of treating overspeed.

Basically you have no other choice than to configure chutes to predeploy at 1500 and deploy at 500. DRE kills them otherwise.

Thank you for the response. So it is hardcoded. I'd be fine with a few seconds in this case, all I want them to do is help pull some boosters away. Drat.

When actually *landing* RealChutes work perfect for me and I have no bugs to report.:D

odd that you say that tho, I usually predeploy around 5000m and have never had a problem.

Thank you for the response. So it is hardcoded. I'd be fine with a few seconds in this case, all I want them to do is help pull some boosters away. Drat.

When actually *landing* RealChutes work perfect for me and I have no bugs to report.:D

odd that you say that tho, I usually predeploy around 5000m and have never had a problem.

Even 7000 is ok. 1500 is ultra-conservative.

FYI, in the latest beta and next release of DRE, all stock and the 4 RealChute parts have had their defaults patched to what should be safe altitudes for Kerbin.

And, (this conversation really should be happening in DRE thread but you're not giving me a choice) no, it is NOT hardcoded. It is configurable in the DRE settings using parachuteMultiplier (higher numbers are safer). Latest beta has difficulty settings with Easy mode giving chutes twice the survivability. Please direct all future DRE related queries in the appropriate thread :D

Alriught guys, a small fixes update is up to patch for my prolonged leave, v1.2.6 is up.

Changelog:

November 16th 2014
v1.2.6
-Fixed the bugs related to stock chutes
-Fixed the bug related to parachutes not deploying on first staging action
-Fixed the bug where you could no longer repack if a loading sequence took place ater deployment
-Fixed the numerous bugs with quicksaving/quickloading when parachutes are deployed
-Made part GUI display logic more fluid
-Small optimizations to the editor GUI

It seems pretty stable on my end, which means I'll be able to focus on my ending semester for the rest of the year. That being said, I just wanted to leave a footnote to you all saying that I've officially been accepted for a bachelor's dregree at the University of Montreal in Physics & Computer Science. Starting this new chapter of my life in January, so we'll see how that goes :)

Cheers!

Hi there!

I'm assuming its normal that the cost of the parachutes go up the smaller you scale them, I'm just wondering why this is? From a technical point, is it to balance the benefits of having less mass?

thanks for a great mod wouldn't play without it.

Hi there!

I'm assuming its normal that the cost of the parachutes go up the smaller you scale them, I'm just wondering why this is? From a technical point, is it to balance the benefits of having less mass?

thanks for a great mod wouldn't play without it.

Because miniaturization is far more costly than scaling up.

Only a reminder: Still with that message for unity version on OS X.

But works great :D

Message which is intended.

Because miniaturization is far more costly than scaling up.

Clarification requested: Are we talking about cases or canopies here? Because a small canopy means you're designing for a lower massed payload, which gets easier. Not harder.

Scaling up for a payload massing a lot (example, something like a ton or so like Curiosity) is where you start getting expensive. (all other factors being equal)

Edited by Starwaster

Clarification requested: Are we talking about cases or canopies here? Because a small canopy means you're designing for a lower massed payload, which gets easier. Not harder.

Scaling up for a payload massing a lot (example, something like a ton or so like Curiosity) is where you start getting expensive.

We're talking for cases. Fitting a canopy as well as a all the material for it to deploy correctly in a smaller case does get harder.

I just wanted to leave a footnote to you all saying that I've officially been accepted for a bachelor's dregree at the University of Montreal in Physics & Computer Science. Starting this new chapter of my life in January, so we'll see how that goes :)

Well played, old boy, well played.

Best wishes for your future studies!

... I've officially been accepted for a bachelor's degree at the University of Montreal in Physics & Computer Science. Starting this new chapter of my life in January, so we'll see how that goes :)

Excellent news, Chris! Congratulations!

Still getting an incompatibility warning...is this a known issue for .25?

There are three possibilities:

#1: You are using an out-of-date version of RealChute. Download the most recent one.

#2: You are using Mac OS X. It's just a warning: Chris can't test on OS X, so you're a bit out-of-luck if it's an OS X-specific issue.

#3: You are using Windows 64-bit, which is so unstable that Chris will not support it, and RealChute will disable itself. Do not test Chris's patience on this point; if you are dead-set on x64, quietly eliminate the check from the source code, recompile, and don't ask Chris for support unless you've replicated it in 32-bit (and do send the logs from 32-bit, not 64-bit).

Oh, and congratulations Chris. Best of luck with your degree!

There are three possibilities:

#1: You are using an out-of-date version of RealChute. Download the most recent one.

#2: You are using Mac OS X. It's just a warning: Chris can't test on OS X, so you're a bit out-of-luck if it's an OS X-specific issue.

#3: You are using Windows 64-bit, which is so unstable that Chris will not support it, and RealChute will disable itself. Do not test Chris's patience on this point; if you are dead-set on x64, quietly eliminate the check from the source code, recompile, and don't ask Chris for support unless you've replicated it in 32-bit (and do send the logs from 32-bit, not 64-bit).

Oh, and congratulations Chris. Best of luck with your degree!

It's OS X, which I failed to mention. Should I expect any ill effects besides the unity incompatibility warning? Thanks for the help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.