[0.23]asmi's ECLSS Mod (current version - 1.0.15) - Life Support Mod

asmi

Hello guys. Initially I wasn't going to tell it, but I feel like you guys deserve an explanation.

As you've probably noticed, I kinda slowed down a couple of months ago, and there is a reason for that - my mother has been diagnosed with cancer. So I'm now flying back and forth between Canada and Russia trying to keep up with my obligations to my client, and taking care of my mom, which of course leaves almost no time to work on the mod. That's why development progresses extremely slow, and I can't tell for sure when it will be released. She had a surgery and now is going through chemoterapy which shows promising results so far, but with cancer one can never be sure.

With that I have no choice but to ask you guys to be patient for the time being until my family situation improves. I'm sorry for the delays.

Asmi, I wish your mother all the best. And I wish you the strength to keep up with keeping your real life stuff going while supporting her. Silly computer games just have to take the back seat in life situations like that. Thanks for telling us that you take a hiatus.

Edited by Lexif

Bummer. That's really bad, I hope your mother makes it through.

Maybe you'd consider sharing the development with someone, or even passing on the plugin's development for a time? NathanKell is very good, but might be a bit busy. One can't really be expected to keep working on a KSP plugin in a situation like that, but lack of updates kind of bogs some dependent projects down. I wish your situation will improve quickly, but those things do tend to drag on. Especially if we're talking aggressive chemotherapy. She'll probably be recovering from the treatment for quite a while even after you're done with the cancer.

Sorry to here that, I have had family diagnosed with cancer and there is no easy way of dealing with it. My hopes and prayers go out to yours.

And don't worry about the plugin it works as is now.

I am so sorry to hear that asmi. KSP is not going anywhere so this addon can wait. I had a friend that had leukemia cancer for 2 years and passed away so I kind of know what its like.;.; Take all the time you need and I hope your mother makes this through.

My mother had a cancer scare. Luckily it turned out to be a false alarm but still the experience was real so I kind of know how you feel. It's really decent of you to even mention a reason after all you owe your mum a lot and you owe us nothing. Best wishes.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you're doing ok Asmi - experienced cancer in my family too and its not easy. No matter how awesome your mod is, it can wait. Spend time on what's important dude :)

Edited by Daishi
a__gun

I for one fully understand asmi. Iwe also experienced cancer in my family so i know how bad it can be. Thanks for telling us. The plugin can wait so just take care of your things. Hope youre doing ok with all of this.

I love the look of the parts in this mod and the implementation seems promising. But has anyone done long duration missions, Duna there and backs, with it and if so how? Back of the napkin calculations lead me to believe that I might need twelve each of the big O and Co2 tanks to get 3 crew to Duna. I just tested a 3 kerbal ship with 2 of each kind of big tank and 3 regenerators. That gave me about 3 days of normal air and 10 days regenerated. By extension, a typical there and back Duna mission might take 50 or more tanks. Something wrong somewhere.

I love the look of the parts in this mod and the implementation seems promising. But has anyone done long duration missions, Duna there and backs, with it and if so how? Back of the napkin calculations lead me to believe that I might need twelve each of the big O and Co2 tanks to get 3 crew to Duna. I just tested a 3 kerbal ship with 2 of each kind of big tank and 3 regenerators. That gave me about 3 days of normal air and 10 days regenerated. By extension, a typical there and back Duna mission might take 50 or more tanks. Something wrong somewhere.

This is partly why NASA in real life hasn't attempted this mission. You need to pack a lot of air with you to go that far. I am running the Realism Overhaul and Real Earth system mod, and I managed to get a kerbalnaught into orbit finally lastnight, he had no EVA suit no seperate O2 tanks, just what was in the pod. I felt like NASA when they got an asternaught into orbit for the first time.

Are you using the stock resource defs?? By default the containers are VERY unbalanced, somewhere in the thread there are configs that make all the storage much more dense.

Here is a link to where Paul talks about balancing the resources.

http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/2014/01/02/mod-eclss-rebalancer/

Edited by Rockstar04

Hello guys. Initially I wasn't going to tell it, but I feel like you guys deserve an explanation.

As you've probably noticed, I kinda slowed down a couple of months ago, and there is a reason for that - my mother has been diagnosed with cancer. So I'm now flying back and forth between Canada and Russia trying to keep up with my obligations to my client, and taking care of my mom, which of course leaves almost no time to work on the mod. That's why development progresses extremely slow, and I can't tell for sure when it will be released. She had a surgery and now is going through chemoterapy which shows promising results so far, but with cancer one can never be sure.

With that I have no choice but to ask you guys to be patient for the time being until my family situation improves. I'm sorry for the delays.

Sorry to hear that. No words are going to make things better, so I'll not try. However, you have obviously make the right choice - whatever the outcome, you will never be pleased to have spent this time working on a mod. I will also keep you both in my prayers.

Are you using the stock resource defs?? By default the containers are VERY unbalanced, somewhere in the thread there are configs that make all the storage much more dense.

Here is a link to where Paul talks about balancing the resources.

http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/2014/01/02/mod-eclss-rebalancer/

Interesting. I'll have to check that mod out. Thanks!

Ahhh man, cancer sucks! :(

I hope she gets well!

I think its far more important to stick by your mom when she needs you, instead of programming for a game.

Never give up!

Has anyone tried this in ARM yet?

I only did a short flight with a capsule, but it seemed to work so far. O2-consumption works both in the space center view and in the tracking station.

after ARM update, i'm having EVA'ing on runway/launch pad (or anywhere else) causes instant "bail out" death. I have switched to TAC until update schedule for ECLSS is back on track. I will write a TAC based set of cfg/s to get stff like FASA and Soviet pack converted to TAC for anyone interested. Seeing that TAC now tracks resources of all craft and is more often updated i suggest we all switch over to in untill we can welcome ASMI back to the community after his personal/family issues are happily sorted out. Best of lucjk ASMI i hope that everything works out for the best and wish you the best of luck. (personally i love ECLSS more than TAC, so dont think this is ECLSS hating)

Edit: I can confirm that my KSP email list friends all have ECLSS related errors, its 100% not ARM friendly

Edited by Guest
spelling error

after ARM update, i'm having EVA'ing on runway/launch pad (or anywhere else) causes instant "bail out" death. I have switched to TAC until update schedule for ECLSS is back on track. I will write a TAC based set of cfg/s to get stff like FASA and Soviet pack converted to TAC for anyone interested. Seeing that TAC now tracks resources of all craft and is more often updated i suggest we all switch over to in untill we can welcome ASMI back to the community after his personal/family issues are happily sorted out. Best of lucjk ASMI i hope that everything works out for the best and wish you the best of luck. (personally i love ECLSS more than TAC, so dont think this is ECLSS hating)

Edit: I can confirm that my KSP email list friends all have ECLSS related errors, its 100% not ARM friendly

I don't like the parts of TAC LS, and also for me ECLSS with RebalanceCFG is running smooth, at least no weird things happened yet

I can't confirm this. The bug with the Kerbals exploding if they are left on EVA and reloaded was in 0.23 as well. (If it's that what you mean.)

I think I might give TAC a try now, though.

I can't confirm this. The bug with the Kerbals exploding if they are left on EVA and reloaded was in 0.23 as well. (If it's that what you mean.)

I think I might give TAC a try now, though.

i get an odd insta "bailed out" death as soon as i EVa is what i mean. Took ECLSS out and used TAC..it was fine, switched back to ECLSS and it happened again. So i am assuming its ECLSS related

Any debug logs or exceptions associated with the 'bailed out' death?

I have already wiped my ECLSS installed KSP folder and reinstalled to make sure everything was 0.23.5 safe. I could reinstall it to display the error log if you like, as long as one gets created by this oddity. After being on this newer version of TAC i doubt i'll be moving back to ECLSS, they seem to have added better power use tracking (sadly still not @ KSC or tracking station screens though), and it has food/water & waste/waste water to go with O2/CO2. Combined with the faster updates/more active thread it has i think its the way to go with the future holding lots of stock KSP updates. ECLSS is a decent LS mod, dont get me wrong i really enjoyed using it. I'm sure it will be a good mod when its has time to go through more testing and gets food/water resources.

Edited by Guest