Minotaur I/ORS-3 Launch 11/19.

Motokid600

I get that, but you're still looking at adding a lot of (useful) debris to an already debris-cluttered orbit.

They won't be in orbit forever. I don't know what altitude they'll be released at but it'll be in LEO, and with no propulsion they will eventually re-enter the atmosphere.

=Smidge=

I get that, but you're still looking at adding a lot of (useful) debris to an already debris-cluttered orbit.

Cubesat-sized objects have pretty short lifetimes at 500km. These will deorbit within a few years. The problem gets worse for things at higher altitudes where small debris can last for decades.

Yay I actually got to see it this time! Tiny orange dot, really bookin' too.

It seems like every damn time something cool happens it's overcast... and there are clouds to the east which the rocket vanished behind, so I got lucky for a change!

Did that rocket just teleport to space?

Must be using HyperEdit!

=Smidge=

Cubesat-sized objects have pretty short lifetimes at 500km. These will deorbit within a few years. The problem gets worse for things at higher altitudes where small debris can last for decades.

I had completely forgot about that. I know ours at least has an orbital lifespan of about 2 years (about four times as long as the expected lifespan of the satellite itself).

Primary payload deployed, though personally I'm waiting to hear about the cubesats, since that's the part I worked on (even though I had only a tiny part).

Good luck to all of those, and may Murphy look the other way for your entire mission. I'm more than a little jealous that you got to have a hand in spaceflight in friggin' high school.

I got to see a good part of it all the way from Buffalo -- last 20 or 30 seconds of stage 2 through maybe the first 40 seconds of stage 3, then it went behind the clouds. That's the first launch I've seen with my own eyes that wasn't powered by Estes.

Good luck to all of those, and may Murphy look the other way for your entire mission. I'm more than a little jealous that you got to have a hand in spaceflight in friggin' high school.

I got to see a good part of it all the way from Buffalo -- last 20 or 30 seconds of stage 2 through maybe the first 40 seconds of stage 3, then it went behind the clouds. That's the first launch I've seen with my own eyes that wasn't powered by Estes.