[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Hello, with this installed I have to start up KSP multiple times before it finally loads without hanging. I get a

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

error when it hangs. This seems to occur on random parts, be it modded or vanilla ones. If I remove this mod, it loads fine.

Edited by Varek_Raith
I can't spell!

my game crashes on startup or there no parts available in the VAB

last lines form output_log

allocation 0x00000000 already registered @ :l297 size 5; now calling from :l297 size 5?

(Filename: Line: 1189)

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=3591 w=1 h=1 mips=3 d3dfmt=21 [invalid call]

TextureCompressor: Texture: WarpPlugin/warpr11

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

TextureCompressor: originalWidth: 1

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

TextureCompressor: originalHeight: 1

TextureCompressor: originalFormat: DXT5

TextureCompressor: originalMipmaps: False

Crash!!!

SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;D:\steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program;D:\steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32;SRV*C:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530, UserName: 'Seb'

OS-Version: 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1) 0x300-0x1

allocation 0x00000000 already registered @ :l297 size 5; now calling from :l297 size 5?

(Filename: Line: 1189)

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=3593 w=1 h=1 mips=3 d3dfmt=21 [invalid call]

i have the following mods:

B9

ScanSat

Kethane

Interstellar

DeadlyReentry

AlarmClock

Procedual Fairring

Procedual Dynamics

MechJeb2

ShuttleEngines

That mod list OP has there is impressive. Immediately downloaded the aggressive version.

Does this only work with mods you don't have config files for? If not, could you make a KOSMOS cfg? I use it a lot. Thanks :D

Hello, with this installed I have to start up KSP multiple times before it finally loads without hanging. I get a

error when it hangs. This seems to occur on random parts, be it modded or vanilla ones. If I remove this mod, it loads fine.

If you could provide the full log and version of texture manager that would be great.

Edited by rbray89

my game crashes on startup or there no parts available in the VAB

last lines form output_log

i have the following mods:

B9

ScanSat

Kethane

Interstellar

DeadlyReentry

AlarmClock

Procedual Fairring

Procedual Dynamics

MechJeb2

ShuttleEngines

What version of the mod are you using?

I have been noticing in this latest release a few minor but notable bugs. First off, random crashes that don't provide proper crash logs, an entire file is missing not sure why. The bug in the SPH where it says "Error" in LARGE button graphics on the floor. Also, this only happened once so far but the Science Laboratory looses all its information. All the text disappears and buttons for planets to see what you have logged etc.

Loading times for myself even with massive part mods have decreased slightly and my memory usages is hanging around 1400-1500MB which for the size of my GameData folder is relatively well balanced. Nothing too major to speak of at this time but I will keep looking for anything out of the ordinary.

I've had significant problems with crashing or stalling during loading with 2-13 Aggressive too. I downgraded back to 2-12 Aggresive and the problems resolved. I'm in a very tight memory situation, so the less effective compression with 2-13 is definitely an issue.

Greetings,

Even with the latest update I was still getting game hangs/crashes on load at least 9 out of 10 attempts.

Was...

I run a heavily modded game and had a config file for every parts pack and mod in my GameData directory. Nearly all of those config files were empty - ie just empty NORMAL_LIST, LEAVE_READABLE, OVERRIDES AND OVERRIDES_FOLDERS sections. Some had entries as needed in the NORMAL_LIST but that's about it.

From my previous posts you an see that I've complained a lot about the game always locking/crashing/hanging on the same folders. Those folders were SQUAD, WARPPLUGIN and a few other minor packs. Removing those pack generally improved the success rate and made the game playable but that wasn't really acceptable as I use a lot of parts from those packs.

Also, I've had 100% success with using the old v1.1 but it doesn't compress as well and the game would crash because it ran out of memory. So what do to?

I removed all the config files except the texturecompressor.cfg to see what happened. The game loaded EVERY SINGLE TIME. Then I started putting them back one at a time and seeing if the game would load. At 40 config files it took all night but I can say that YES the GAME LOADED EVERY SINGLE TIME. (And the memory utilization got better every time.)

It only went pear shaped when I put the SQUAD.cfg back into the mix. With it in the chances of a crash/hang on load was VASTLY increased. Take it back out and the game would load 95% of the time. Considering that I've removed about 50% of the parts in SQUAD I'm not terribly concerned.

I saw this behavior with another parts pack even though the CFG file was empty. That parts pack was the Tri-Hexagonal Structural Parts Pack.

So, all of this sounds insane. I did go through a bottle of wine during my testing soooooo.... well..... anyway.... :-)

Long story short - Try removing all of the CFG files except the texturecompressor.cfg and seeing if it loads. Then start putting them back in one at a time until it craps out. I bet you'll find the one(s) that are causing the issue.

Best regards,

The Dude

Greetings,

Even with the latest update I was still getting game hangs/crashes on load at least 9 out of 10 attempts.

Was...

I run a heavily modded game and had a config file for every parts pack and mod in my GameData directory. Nearly all of those config files were empty - ie just empty NORMAL_LIST, LEAVE_READABLE, OVERRIDES AND OVERRIDES_FOLDERS sections. Some had entries as needed in the NORMAL_LIST but that's about it.

From my previous posts you an see that I've complained a lot about the game always locking/crashing/hanging on the same folders. Those folders were SQUAD, WARPPLUGIN and a few other minor packs. Removing those pack generally improved the success rate and made the game playable but that wasn't really acceptable as I use a lot of parts from those packs.

Also, I've had 100% success with using the old v1.1 but it doesn't compress as well and the game would crash because it ran out of memory. So what do to?

I removed all the config files except the texturecompressor.cfg to see what happened. The game loaded EVERY SINGLE TIME. Then I started putting them back one at a time and seeing if the game would load. At 40 config files it took all night but I can say that YES the GAME LOADED EVERY SINGLE TIME. (And the memory utilization got better every time.)

It only went pear shaped when I put the SQUAD.cfg back into the mix. With it in the chances of a crash/hang on load was VASTLY increased. Take it back out and the game would load 95% of the time. Considering that I've removed about 50% of the parts in SQUAD I'm not terribly concerned.

I saw this behavior with another parts pack even though the CFG file was empty. That parts pack was the Tri-Hexagonal Structural Parts Pack.

So, all of this sounds insane. I did go through a bottle of wine during my testing soooooo.... well..... anyway.... :-)

Long story short - Try removing all of the CFG files except the texturecompressor.cfg and seeing if it loads. Then start putting them back in one at a time until it craps out. I bet you'll find the one(s) that are causing the issue.

Best regards,

The Dude

Thanks, I've been working on pinning down just what is going on that KSP doesn't like. I should have more results later.

You sir, are a god!

[LOG 21:31:08.504] TextureCompressor: Memory Saved : 1002MB

KSP used to crash on me somewhere between 3.5GB and 4GB usage. Now I'm running all of my normal mods, plus the clouds and city lights mod that I wanted to run so badly, with 2,104,560 KB (2.007 GB).

Well, this is annoying. Since this morning, I can no longer replicate the problem. Figures.

I do know that it consistently hanged on;

WarpPlugin\Spaces\sci\model

and on one of RemoteTech2's gigadish models.

This was on 2.13 basic and aggressive tests.

Will continue to test until I get an actual logfile with the error.

Edited by Varek_Raith

How do you find out that info, where do you look please?

Someone lately answer this for me, so I pass the favor :

Go to C:\Game\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program,

look for KSP.log, open it (text editor) and search for "mem". Enjoy.

Well, this is annoying. Since this morning, I can no longer replicate the problem. Figures.

These were the 2 most common hang ups for me as well.

Someone lately answer this for me, so I pass the favor :

Go to C:\Game\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program,

look for KSP.log, open it (text editor) and search for "mem". Enjoy.

Awesome thank you.

515MB saved for me :)

I'm not sure why, but it seems to have issues with warpplugin. I have to investigate more. JSI Rasterprop also seems like it might be having issues too.

Saves me about 1700mb (saves me from crashing, it runs at about 2.5 Gb and 3.5 without it :D )

Edit: just updated my texture compresser and it now hangs on the squad parts (Can't actually load ksp now), it takes like 10x more time to load as well, i think i'm gonna go back to the last update, It worked fine, I was using version 1-1 (i think, it may have been later)

Edit2: I use this mod:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65754-HotRockets%21-Particle-FX-Replacement could this cause the hangs?

Edited by Boamere

Rbray, could you explain a little more in detail what the latest update is about? The regex stuff I do not understand.

Regex is Regular Expressions. They allow you to use .Net regular expression syntax to do pattern matching. Ie. .*/Flags/.* matches all textures that reside somewhere in a Flags directory. You can look in the WarpPlugin config for other examples.