[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Is there a way to set max_size_normals to a different size per folder? For instance with it set to 256 all of the textures look fine except the bobcat ones which look terrible. I'd like to have bobcat set to 512 and every other folder set to 256. Is this possible?

Is there a way to set max_size_normals to a different size per folder? For instance with it set to 256 all of the textures look fine except the bobcat ones which look terrible. I'd like to have bobcat set to 512 and every other folder set to 256. Is this possible?

Hmmm... I don't have a per-folder normals option. I should. I'll add that now.

Update is available. The main config file has a section at the bottom that demonstrates how you might do this.

B9, KW, Kethane, Interstellar, KAS and dozens of other small mods.. and no memory limit break :D

this is one beast of a mod! here, rbray89, have a little steamy hot manlove from me for this heavenly pearl of software :D :D

Interstellar LLL KW Kethane AIES B9 Firespitter NovaPunch KOSMOS FAR MechJeb and dozens more takes 2-3 hours before I finally crash takes 4 minutes to load runs a smooth 45fps in VAB (although my poor abused (heavily overclocked)AMD 9590 is probably why) ram usage at load is 2.2gb

I have however noticed a strange shadowing issue on many of my mod parts

Interstellar LLL KW Kethane AIES B9 Firespitter NovaPunch KOSMOS FAR MechJeb and dozens more takes 2-3 hours before I finally crash takes 4 minutes to load runs a smooth 45fps in VAB (although my poor abused (heavily overclocked)AMD 9590 is probably why) ram usage at load is 2.2gb

I have however noticed a strange shadowing issue on many of my mod parts

The shadowing issue is likely because the mod/texture pack didn't properly name/mark their normal maps. You can fix this by creating/editing a config to mark them as normalmapped.

The shadowing issue is likely because the mod/texture pack didn't properly name/mark their normal maps. You can fix this by creating/editing a config to mark them as normalmapped.

sorry to be quite a noob on this one but how do you do that?

Rbray89, I use Squad and B9 with compressed texture. What should I write in config files?

I think the Squad texture reduction pack is in tga format? Hmmm... well, you can do one of two things. Check the logs for "normal map" complaints and then add those textures to the normal map list, or revert the squad textures back to their original forms.

Slight problem.

GbAl7XZ.gif

B9, Deadly Reentry, TAC Life Support, AIES, and Stretchy Tanks parts don't have these issues, but everything else does, including stock.

I deleted the Squad folder and had Steam verify game files to make sure it wasn't being caused by me installing the Squad Texture Reduction Pack previously.

Mods I have installed other than this one are

AIES
B9
Visual Enhancements
Deadly Reentry
Editor Extensions
Kerbal Engineer Redux
FASA
FAR
KAS
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
Space Shuttle Engines
KWRocketry
LazTek SpaceX
Infernal Robotics
MechJeb
Docking Port Alignment
Near Future Propulsion Pack
NovaPunch
Precise Node
Procedural Wings
Protractor
Real Chute
Real Fuels
Real Solar System
RemoteTech 2
Select Root
Station Science
Texture Replacer
TAC Life Support
TAC Fuel Balancer
Kerbal Alarm Clock
KSP Interstellar

If anyone else has experienced this problem and has any mods that I have, feel free to post.

Edit: I did... something that fixed stock, Interstellar, LazTek SpaceX, and FASA but broke AIES, although the only parts with proper shadows are B9, stock, SpaceX, and Interstellar.

Edited by Mct

hmm i always seem have problems with this when i am using anything besides the stable version because last time i used something other than the stable version, for some reason it removed most of the stock parts from the game and screwed up the textures.

Slight problem.

http://i.imgur.com/GbAl7XZ.gif

B9, Deadly Reentry, TAC Life Support, AIES, and Stretchy Tanks parts don't have these issues, but everything else does, including stock.

I deleted the Squad folder and had Steam verify game files to make sure it wasn't being caused by me installing the Squad Texture Reduction Pack previously.

Mods I have installed other than this one are

AIES
B9
Visual Enhancements
Deadly Reentry
Editor Extensions
Kerbal Engineer Redux
FASA
FAR
KAS
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
Space Shuttle Engines
KWRocketry
LazTek SpaceX
Infernal Robotics
MechJeb
Docking Port Alignment
Near Future Propulsion Pack
NovaPunch
Precise Node
Procedural Wings
Protractor
Real Chute
Real Fuels
Real Solar System
RemoteTech 2
Select Root
Station Science
Texture Replacer
TAC Life Support
TAC Fuel Balancer
Kerbal Alarm Clock
KSP Interstellar

If anyone else has experienced this problem and has any mods that I have, feel free to post.

Edit: I did... something that fixed stock, Interstellar, LazTek SpaceX, and FASA but broke AIES, although the only parts with proper shadows are B9, stock, SpaceX, and Interstellar.

I don't even know how... those are stock parts? Does that happen in the vab? Are you using aggressive or basic? Did you modify the configs at all?

Since the update from 2.10 aggressive to 2.11 aggressive the game is back to loading fast and not compressing as well as before. I'm using the exact same config files with no changes. Do I now need to set settings for each folder individually for them to compress? If I just use the stock cfg's that come with it the compression is 20% worse than it was with 2.10.

Since the update from 2.10 aggressive to 2.11 aggressive the game is back to loading fast and not compressing as well as before. I'm using the exact same config files with no changes. Do I now need to set settings for each folder individually for them to compress? If I just use the stock cfg's that come with it the compression is 20% worse than it was with 2.10.

First you say its not compressing, then its compressing but worse. Man you need to get your facts straight so that Rbray or someone can help you.

Rbray, I suggest posting a help template for users on the original post stating you need to provide a list of all your mods, current version and if they have modified the configs. Just my suggestion, more than likely people will never use it :P

First you say its not compressing, then its compressing but worse. Man you need to get your facts straight so that Rbray or someone can help you.

Rbray, I suggest posting a help template for users on the original post stating you need to provide a list of all your mods, current version and if they have modified the configs. Just my suggestion, more than likely people will never use it :P

I don't see what's confusing about what I said. My initial post about 2.10 not compressing as well as 2.08 was because of an error in the textureCompressor.cfg file where scale = 1 instead of scale = 2 in the default cfg. With that fixed 2.10 worked just as well as 2.08. Version 2.11 is definitely not compressing as well as 2.10 and I checked the cfg files this time and all the values are what they should be. So my "facts" are straight thank you.

I don't see what's confusing about what I said. My initial post about 2.10 not compressing as well as 2.08 was because of an error in the textureCompressor.cfg file where scale = 1 instead of scale = 2 in the default cfg. With that fixed 2.10 worked just as well as 2.08. Version 2.11 is definitely not compressing as well as 2.10 and I checked the cfg files this time and all the values are what they should be. So my "facts" are straight thank you.

May I suggest deleting the BoulderCo folder all together then reinstalling the texture compression plugin? If you have the clouds plugin by Rbray as well install that afterwards. IF you have have already done this, which pack are you using? Basic or Aggressive?

I'm using the aggressive config and have created config files for UI mods such as Toolbar among others because I don't want those textures shrank in half and I don't think they need mipmaps generated, but when reviewing the log file, I see this all over the place:

[LOG 19:05:02.748] Load(Texture): 000_Toolbar/folder
[LOG 19:05:02.765] Load(Texture): 000_Toolbar/move-cursor
[EXC 19:05:02.784] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: value
[LOG 19:05:02.787] Load(Texture): 000_Toolbar/resize-cursor
[EXC 19:05:02.799] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
[LOG 19:05:02.802] Load(Texture): 000_Toolbar/toolbar-dropdown
[EXC 19:05:02.815] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
[LOG 19:05:02.818] Load(Texture): 000_Toolbar/update-available
[EXC 19:05:02.831] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
[LOG 19:05:02.835] Load(Texture): AIES_Aerospace/Aero/AIEScone0.5Ra/model000
[EXC 19:05:02.916] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
[LOG 19:05:02.919] Load(Texture): AIES_Aerospace/Aero/AIESconenoseram/model000
[LOG 19:05:03.206] Load(Texture): AIES_Aerospace/Antenna/AIESantennaESC/model000

The config file looks like this:

NORMAL_LIST
{
}
LEAVE_READABLE
{
}
OVERRIDES
{
}
OVERRIDES_FOLDERS
{
000_Toolbar/
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
filtering = Bilinear
make_not_readable = true
}
}

Further down the log is this, which seems the override settings are being ignored:

[LOG 19:16:44.338] TextureCompressor: --------------------------------------------------------
[LOG 19:16:44.339] TextureCompressor: Name: 000_Toolbar/folder
[LOG 19:16:44.340] TextureCompressor: Format: RGBA32
[LOG 19:16:44.340] TextureCompressor: MipMaps: 5
[LOG 19:16:44.341] TextureCompressor: Size: 24x24
[LOG 19:16:44.342] TextureCompressor: Readable: True
[LOG 19:16:44.342] TextureCompressor: _Readable: True
[LOG 19:16:44.343] TextureCompressor: --------------------------------------------------------
[LOG 19:16:44.344] TextureCompressor: Name: 000_Toolbar/move-cursor
[LOG 19:16:44.345] TextureCompressor: Format: RGBA32
[LOG 19:16:44.345] TextureCompressor: MipMaps: 5
[LOG 19:16:44.346] TextureCompressor: Size: 21x21
[LOG 19:16:44.347] TextureCompressor: Readable: True
[LOG 19:16:44.347] TextureCompressor: _Readable: True
[LOG 19:16:44.348] TextureCompressor: --------------------------------------------------------
[LOG 19:16:44.349] TextureCompressor: Name: 000_Toolbar/resize-cursor
[LOG 19:16:44.349] TextureCompressor: Format: RGBA32
[LOG 19:16:44.350] TextureCompressor: MipMaps: 4
[LOG 19:16:44.351] TextureCompressor: Size: 15x15
[LOG 19:16:44.351] TextureCompressor: Readable: True
[LOG 19:16:44.352] TextureCompressor: _Readable: True
[LOG 19:16:44.353] TextureCompressor: --------------------------------------------------------
[LOG 19:16:44.354] TextureCompressor: Name: 000_Toolbar/toolbar-dropdown
[LOG 19:16:44.354] TextureCompressor: Format: RGBA32
[LOG 19:16:44.355] TextureCompressor: MipMaps: 4
[LOG 19:16:44.356] TextureCompressor: Size: 10x7
[LOG 19:16:44.356] TextureCompressor: Readable: True
[LOG 19:16:44.357] TextureCompressor: _Readable: True
[LOG 19:16:44.358] TextureCompressor: --------------------------------------------------------
[LOG 19:16:44.358] TextureCompressor: Name: 000_Toolbar/update-available
[LOG 19:16:44.359] TextureCompressor: Format: RGBA32
[LOG 19:16:44.360] TextureCompressor: MipMaps: 5
[LOG 19:16:44.360] TextureCompressor: Size: 24x24
[LOG 19:16:44.361] TextureCompressor: Readable: True
[LOG 19:16:44.362] TextureCompressor: _Readable: True

Edited by Madman With A Box

May I suggest deleting the BoulderCo folder all together then reinstalling the texture compression plugin? If you have the clouds plugin by Rbray as well install that afterwards. IF you have have already done this, which pack are you using? Basic or Aggressive?

Already did a fresh install and no I'm not using the clouds mod. Using the aggressive pack as I said in my first post. Also it shouldn't REALLY matter what if any mods you are using as that would only really affect the amount of memory the game takes up not the ability of the plugin to compress the textures as long as you have a config file defining the normals which I only had to add for the ISS community pack because configs for the rest of the mods are already included.

Already did a fresh install and no I'm not using the clouds mod. Using the aggressive pack as I said in my first post. Also it shouldn't REALLY matter what if any mods you are using as that would only really affect the amount of memory the game takes up not the ability of the plugin to compress the textures as long as you have a config file defining the normals which I only had to add for the ISS community pack because configs for the rest of the mods are already included.

Okay, when you load the game, load up your save and go to the space center. Open up the debug menu and in one of the pages it gives information about the plugin whether or not there was an error or how much it has compressed or not compressed etc. Could you say what you see in there?