[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

@NathenKell,

I think you should use basemass=-1 in all the B9 fuselages, for both RO and RF. I think the current implementation is just too weird. You have 2m HL fuselage section that weighs 0.1t, and 0.5m one weighs 2t.

Same thing for the stock mk1, mk2 and mk3 fuselage

Sorry for being obtuse, but so I should just delete/ignore these then?

http://i.imgur.com/rpEsPTe.png

The PressurizedFT: should always be extracted unless you do know you don't want the pressurization logic.

The IgnitorConfigs: depends on what engine config you are using. If you are using stock-alike that has no EI config built-in, you need to extract it, if you are using RftsEngines which (IIRC) has built-in EI config, do not extract this file.

camlost: Dirt_Merchant is doing a bunch of research on airframe structural mass etc so that B9 and stock spaceplane parts can finally be fully supported. -1 basemass is a good interim fix, though, quite right--not everyone is as crazy as I am (I who adds ballast in the form of HTP or IRFNA to get the mass to "feel right" for aircraft....)

I have some really nasty wobbling from my engine when i use gimbal. are there any solutions? im already using tons of kw heavy struts. Does it have to do with the fairings?

Edit: removing the procedural fairing doesn't really help, it must be the engine, or the fuel tank

yfPLBXf.png

Edited by 736

Odd problem. Been having problems with mechjeb instantly veering east/south/north right after takeoff. (Album here, http://imgur.com/a/gptfu) Spent all day trying to figure out what was causing this and i've narrowed it down to Realism Overhaul. Specifically the Pods_Squad, Pods_AIES, Probes_Squad, Probes_AIES, Probes_AIES_new. (Not all of these are involved, this is just the last 5 files i narrowed it down to.)

With these .cfgs enabled mechjeb doesn't seem to attempt to steer during ascent. Or rather it attempts to steer down some absurd ascent trajectory, as it's surely trying to do something. When I remove these .cfgs and create a new ship mechjeb functions as normal. If i remove them and load up a ship i created with the .cfgs enabled the ship retains the lack of steering bug. I create pretty much the exact same rocket for these tests, the rockets themselves fly fine.

I've looked through them and i don't see anything that would mess with mechjeb. TBH I have no idea how they are messing with mechjeb at all. All I know is that mechjeb works great without them, and doesn't work for certain pods/probes with them. The only thing I would think could even mess with mechjeb is the re-scales. But then I'd assume I wouldn't be the only one with this problem...

Affected probes are all the squad probes plus the MK2 versions added by RPL. Manned pods effected by this are the MK1 & MK2 lander cans, the MK1 pod and the MK1-2 pod. I'm sure the cupola is too but i've removed it.

For some reason the Gemini pod also experiences the same problem, which I think is related to another .cfg file somewhere as it continues to give me problems with these .cfgs removed.

Pods that aren't being affected are the squad cockpits mk1-3, B9 cockpits/pods, AIES probes, except for the maxur pod which is also afflicted. And FASA pods/probes(explorer) except for the Gemini pod. The WAC nosecone added in RO also works fine.

This is all with .23 and v3 of RO. I tried v4 RO .cfgs and have the same problem. Does anybody have any idea why in the world this is happening? Oddest bug I've ever ran across in KSP.

Edit : Pods_AIES and Probes_AIES are cleared. Going to go through them 1 by 1, will edit when done.

Edited by Subcidal

Odd problem. Been having problems with mechjeb instantly veering east/south/north right after takeoff. (Album here, http://imgur.com/a/gptfu) Spent all day trying to figure out what was causing this and i've narrowed it down to Realism Overhaul. Specifically the Pods_Squad, Pods_AIES, Probes_Squad, Probes_AIES, Probes_AIES_new. (Not all of these are involved, this is just the last 5 files i narrowed it down to.)

With these .cfgs enabled mechjeb doesn't seem to attempt to steer during ascent. Or rather it attempts to steer down some absurd ascent trajectory, as it's surely trying to do something. When I remove these .cfgs and create a new ship mechjeb functions as normal. If i remove them and load up a ship i created with the .cfgs enabled the ship retains the lack of steering bug. I create pretty much the exact same rocket for these tests, the rockets themselves fly fine.

I've looked through them and i don't see anything that would mess with mechjeb. TBH I have no idea how they are messing with mechjeb at all. All I know is that mechjeb works great without them, and doesn't work for certain pods/probes with them. The only thing I would think could even mess with mechjeb is the re-scales. But then I'd assume I wouldn't be the only one with this problem...

Affected probes are all the squad probes plus the MK2 versions added by RPL. Manned pods effected by this are the MK1 & MK2 lander cans, the MK1 pod and the MK1-2 pod. I'm sure the cupola is too but i've removed it.

For some reason the Gemini pod also experiences the same problem, which I think is related to another .cfg file somewhere as it continues to give me problems with these .cfgs removed.

Pods that aren't being affected are the squad cockpits mk1-3, B9 cockpits/pods, AIES probes, except for the maxur pod which is also afflicted. And FASA pods/probes(explorer) except for the Gemini pod. The WAC nosecone added in RO also works fine.

This is all with .23 and v3 of RO. I tried v4 RO .cfgs and have the same problem. Does anybody have any idea why in the world this is happening? Oddest bug I've ever ran across in KSP.

How do you judge that it's lack of steering? have you seen the three input indicators at the left-bottom corner of the screen standing still with no movement at all? or is it moving but your rocket is not turning to the appropriate direction?

If it's moving but the rocket doesn't turn correctly, I would guess it's because: 1. the cfg reduces the reaction wheel's strength and 2. you didn't install any engine that has gimbal capability.

How do you judge that it's lack of steering? have you seen the three input indicators at the left-bottom corner of the screen standing still with no movement at all? or is it moving but your rocket is not turning to the appropriate direction?

If it's moving but the rocket doesn't turn correctly, I would guess it's because: 1. the cfg reduces the reaction wheel's strength and 2. you didn't install any engine that has gimbal capability.

If you look at the last two pics in my album I posted (http://imgur.com/a/gptfu) you can see the ascent profile target, Note how it's straight below (Navball is upside down) my crosshairs, and then take a look at the pitch indicator. You can see that it's not even halfway through the indicator when it should be doing everything it can to pull up towards the target.

Also if you look at the indicators in the very first picture showing the ascent profile you'll see that the pitch & yaw indicators are slightly nudged already, yet my turn starts at 1.3 KM. I've come to find that this is a tale-tell sign that the pod is bugged with mechjeb. Every single one of them with this problem will attempt to pitch and yaw before liftoff. They all also seem to take a similar path after liftoff. Which is the one shown in the album. When i manually push it off of its bugged trajectory it makes no attempt to correct itself, It just keeps on flying wherever i left it or aerodynamic forces happen to take it.

Now I can take that exact rocket and put on a different command module probe that isn't affected by this bizzare bug (Or delete the .cfg's i mentioned and re-create the rocket) and it will ascend perfectly. If i manually push it off course it will correct itself. It doesn't sway at all when it takes off it goes straight up. If I delete the .cfgs and load up a rocket i made with the .cfgs enabled the bug persists, must be saving to the ships save-file itself. If I recreate the exact same rocket it will work as it should. This had me running circles for an hour or two.

The rocket in that album is very stable and easy to steer manually. It works fine when i delete those .cfg files with no alterations at all. It's not the rocket it's something to do with the pods, and it's not their reaction wheels either. I can disable reaction wheels and it does the same thing. I can also disable them on unaffected pods and they'll still take off perfectly.

By the way it's not really a lack of steering, Mechjeb is steering, just not down the path it should be. It is by-far the most bizzare bug i've ever ran across in KSP. I have no idea how these .cfgs could in any way alter mechjeb.

Edited by Subcidal

If you look at the last two pics in my album I posted (http://imgur.com/a/gptfu) you can see the ascent profile target, Note how it's straight below (Navball is upside down) my crosshairs, and then take a look at the pitch indicator. You can see that it's not even halfway through the indicator when it should be doing everything it can to pull up towards the target.

Also if you look at the indicators in the very first picture showing the ascent profile you'll see that the pitch & yaw indicators are slightly nudged already, yet my turn starts at 1.3 KM. I've come to find that this is a tale-tell sign that the pod is bugged with mechjeb. Every single one of them with this problem will attempt to pitch and yaw before liftoff. They all also seem to take a similar path after liftoff. Which is the one shown in the album. When i manually push it off of its bugged trajectory it makes no attempt to correct itself, It just keeps on flying wherever i left it or aerodynamic forces happen to take it.

Now I can take that exact rocket and put on a different command module probe that isn't affected by this bizzare bug (Or delete the .cfg's i mentioned and re-create the rocket) and it will ascend perfectly. If i manually push it off course it will correct itself. It doesn't sway at all when it takes off it goes straight up. If I delete the .cfgs and load up a rocket i made with the .cfgs enabled the bug persists, must be saving to the ships save-file itself. If I recreate the exact same rocket it will work as it should. This had me running circles for an hour or two.

The rocket in that album is very stable and easy to steer manually. It works fine when i delete those .cfg files with no alterations at all. It's not the rocket it's something to do with the pods, and it's not their reaction wheels either. I can disable reaction wheels and it does the same thing. I can also disable them on unaffected pods and they'll still take off perfectly.

By the way it's not really a lack of steering, Mechjeb is steering, just not down the path it should be. It is by-far the most bizzare bug i've ever ran across in KSP. I have no idea how these .cfgs could in any way alter mechjeb.

Wait... you set the orbit altitude to 9000km while your turn ends at 140km? I'm not sure if MJ can handle such parameters. But that sounds unrelated to those RO cfg... probably not the real reason.

Lol yeah the point of putting it at 9000KM was just to ensure it didnt cut the engine off. I wasn't planning on getting to orbit or anything, i'd be lucky to make it past 200 KM with that little rocket. Regardless I used the same settings the entire time i was testing and it caused no problems when MJ was working correctly.

Going to play with those .cfgs tomorrow to see if i can find the actual line / module that's messing up mechjeb. Only thing I would think that could have an effect is the resizes. I find it very odd that I seem to be the only one who's ever experienced this bug.

Edited by Subcidal

Alright it's definently something with the alterations to the reaction wheels. If i disable that part of the .cfg the rocket stops pulling to the side. Even with reaction wheels disabled it follows its course correctly (Just to show that the problem isn't related to the strength of the reaction wheels).

With the reaction wheel alterations enabled the rocket pulls to the side and makes no attempt to follow its ascent path. If I leave the .cfgs enabled and disable pod torque then mechjeb DOES follow its ascent path (Wtf?)

Any ideas as to why the alterations to modulereactionwheels would effect mechjeb? It's not that it doesn't have enough power to steer. It's just not steering correctly at all when the reaction wheels are enabled. If I disable them it follows it's ascent trajectory quite well. Strange as hell.

Edited by Subcidal

Do you have auto TF on? What gimbal are you using?

MJ is really bad about KM_Gimbal, and with auto-TF it may be miscalculating the vessel's turning ability too. Try going into Attitude and checking "Use SAS" and see if that improves performance.

Do you have auto TF on? What gimbal are you using?

MJ is really bad about KM_Gimbal, and with auto-TF it may be miscalculating the vessel's turning ability too. Try going into Attitude and checking "Use SAS" and see if that improves performance.

Ahahaha! that's what it was!

Good lord I spent way to much time digging around just to realize it was a single button in mechjeb. Oh KSP you're so realistic.

I landed my first munar probe today with RO and RSS. I noticed the MET timer still only counts six hours for every day and night, which explains why it took 17 days to reach the moon for my probe. Can the KSP day and night cycle be changed to 24 hrs? If it can, I think it would be great if it was included in the real sized versions of RSS or maybe in RO.

Edit: And yes, going to the moon in RO is so much more fun than in stock KSP :)

I landed my first munar probe today with RO and RSS. I noticed the MET timer still only counts six hours for every day and night, which explains why it took 17 days to reach the moon for my probe. Can the KSP day and night cycle be changed to 24 hrs? If it can, I think it would be great if it was included in the real sized versions of RSS or maybe in RO.

Edit: And yes, going to the moon in RO is so much more fun than in stock KSP :)

You can change between 6 hour days and 24 hour days in the options menu.

Uh, explain to me how you would recreate an ablative nozzle on EVA? Or apply a hypergolic igniter while propellants are flowing without being melted by the exhaust?

What does an ablative nozzle have to do with ignition? They protect the engine while running. Besides, Realism Overhaul does not simulate nozzles getting worn down from being used repeatedly/too long, so why did this suddenly become a problem and how is it relevant?

And why on earth do you need to apply hypergolic solution to the engine while it's running? You could place a time-delayed or remote controlled pyrotechnic charge instead.

Edited by Oksbad