[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Rotary: You mean Infernal Robotics, and yes it would work for the hinges etc, but that would require someone to have both EL and IR installed, or at very least get permission to use IR's dll. I was meaning for something to be integrated into IR and use as few parts as possible.

Ralathon: The point of using VAB in the field was to be able to slowly build a ship while things were going on, however, if you can call up the VAB with an overlay of the actual scenery at the target (to make sure the finished ship wouldn't clip with anything nearby) then it becomes 'ghosted' in the field until it is built that would work too. You could see a version of what is being built until it is ready and you wouldn't need any special KAS functionality.

Thats a really nice model you made there. This is often a very good way to help out plugin developers to contribute work as they are often busy with their actual work and are doing this for free after all. Im a novice in unity and blender/modelling but i found out i am able to transfer some of skills from my graphic design background to creating texture maps for ksp. Ill try to get this into unity tho im afraid i may screw it up tho. Does it already have a basic diffuse map? On my phone now so i havent had a chance to take a look at it. If it has i could get right into making a texture map for iit. Also did you add a normalmap?

It's just a raw mesh, split into groups (as long as they transferred into the OBJ format from Milkshape). No materials, no textures, no skeleton. Like I said I haven't modelled in a long time but still had Milkshape 3D installed (my favourite low poly modelling prog) so I gave it a try. Feel free to work with it if you want :) A long time ago I briefly did look at what was required to get meshes into Unity but didn't get very far in my research. Still don't know everything required.

Yes. I am just about at the point where I am ready to play FAR. I am going to give it a serious go as soon as I finish my current career. When I look at EL (and KSPI) I have to wonder if a FAR based career can make use of them at all. I guess I will soon enough discover exactly how much deviation from sensible aerodynamic shape is acceptable to launch with FAR. I presume that if I can get an orbital construction pad into orbit then I can build everything else "LEM" shaped in vacuum.

Well... I will not play without FAR (I actually consider not using FAR to be cheating because of the way stock "aerodynamics" utterly butchers physics). Using FAR is actually what got me interested in EL in the first place. Along with Orbital Construction Redux, but I didn't like its mechanic so I figured out how to get EL to work in orbit :)

Something to consider: if something is too bulky to fly up, build it in orbit. If it's too awkward to get back down, build it on-site. FAR and EL are perfectly compatible (even complementary) so long as you're willing to think outside of the "I must launch it from KSC" box.

Well... I will not play without FAR (I actually consider not using FAR to be cheating because of the way stock "aerodynamics" utterly butchers physics). Using FAR is actually what got me interested in EL in the first place. Along with Orbital Construction Redux, but I didn't like its mechanic so I figured out how to get EL to work in orbit :)

Something to consider: if something is too bulky to fly up, build it in orbit. If it's too awkward to get back down, build it on-site. FAR and EL are perfectly compatible (even complementary) so long as you're willing to think outside of the "I must launch it from KSC" box.

Procedural fairings are pretty much a necessity.

Also, my smelter replacement part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw483wr3zb2av0a/BrassMoustache.rar

This doesn't really deserve it's own thread or anything. Just a model and a .cfg.

Please note that I've turned the production rate down considerably from the default as I felt that the high rates were unbalanced, as well as switching its power source from stock EC to KSPI's thermal power (The big one uses about 10 MW).

I don't recommend trying to lift that 60 ton monster into orbit, by the way

Edit: screenshot of it in action (this is the small version)

6womd.jpg

Edit2: VAB screen

6wFbN.jpg

Edited by mossman

Yes. I am just about at the point where I am ready to play FAR. I am going to give it a serious go as soon as I finish my current career. When I look at EL (and KSPI) I have to wonder if a FAR based career can make use of them at all. I guess I will soon enough discover exactly how much deviation from sensible aerodynamic shape is acceptable to launch with FAR. I presume that if I can get an orbital construction pad into orbit then I can build everything else "LEM" shaped in vacuum.

The trick is to use fairings. I managed to get this cozy little base on the munar surface in RSS just fine (Read: Many failed attempts. But mostly due to underestimating the dV). It took a bit of bootstrapping, but it is fully operational.

FatKtkM.png

I did mod the hell out of EPL though. That big kethane drill digs ore and the zzz refinery converts ore to rocketparts (skipped the metal step to save parts). So I can imagine that hauling a smelter around is going to be tricky.

The trick is to use fairings. I managed to get this cozy little base on the munar surface in RSS just fine (Read: Many failed attempts. But mostly due to underestimating the dV). It took a bit of bootstrapping, but it is fully operational.

http://i.imgur.com/FatKtkM.png

I did mod the hell out of EPL though. That big kethane drill digs ore and the zzz refinery converts ore to rocketparts (skipped the metal step to save parts). So I can imagine that hauling a smelter around is going to be tricky.

I actually kinda like that idea! Did you just add the ore abilty to the kethane drill (so that it drills both) or did you make a secondary part using the model?

I actually kinda like that idea! Did you just add the ore abilty to the kethane drill (so that it drills both) or did you make a secondary part using the model?

Just copy pasted the model. Don't want it to drill both. I should mod the texture some day.

Sad part is you can't distribute it due to Majiir's license.

His license, his rules. Sadly it seems Kethane is the only source for decent drill models, so if you don't like the augur and can't model you're stuck with kethane models. Though I'm fairly sure the Hexcans author was working on some drills.

You do have yoriks nice drill model tho. But its really high in the tris count (i think i counted around 8000 tris) but if somebody knows how to optimize it and create the texture template for it i could import it into unity and make the texture map for it.

I do have the model now. Got it from yorik. I did get it into unity and the animations work well. but the model wont load in ksp after exporting the .mu. the resulting mu file is around 500kb so it may be that ksp is not allowing it to load on account of the high tris count. It also dont have a diffuse map. Anyway. Here is a video of it yorik posted a while ago:

Im currently still learning modelling from scratch so there will be some time before ill be able to do anything with it

Edited by landeTLS

Heh, he's still working on that? Cool. Haven't seen him post on the Orbital Manufacturing thread in a while (or anyone actually) and I didn't think to check the other thread lately. I'll be interested to see what it looks like as a final version.

Heh, he's still working on that? Cool. Haven't seen him post on the Orbital Manufacturing thread in a while (or anyone actually) and I didn't think to check the other thread lately. I'll be interested to see what it looks like as a final version.

He dont seem to currently be doing any modelling for ksp. The model i have is just the latest rough draft he made. I also have the "holy handgrenade" smelter/furnace model

Procedural fairings are pretty much a necessity.

Also, my smelter replacement part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw483wr3zb2av0a/BrassMoustache.rar

This doesn't really deserve it's own thread or anything. Just a model and a .cfg.

Please note that I've turned the production rate down considerably from the default as I felt that the high rates were unbalanced, as well as switching its power source from stock EC to KSPI's thermal power (The big one uses about 10 MW).

I don't recommend trying to lift that 60 ton monster into orbit, by the way

Edit: screenshot of it in action (this is the small version)

http://puu.sh/6womd.jpg

I havent gotten a chance to test the smelter/furnace yet but from the pic you posted it looks really good. Nice and simple looking. i assume its the silver thing the lander legs are attaced to?

I havent gotten a chance to test the smelter/furnace yet but from the pic you posted it looks really good. Nice and simple looking. i assume its the silver thing the lander legs are attaced to?

Yeah, sorry if the pic isn't very clear.

Also, I think I left the specularity slider on the default settings when I exported it from unity when I meant to turn it down, so the model is shinier than I meant it to be.

Still looks decent enough, I guess.

On a side note, does KSP support specularity maps?

Mossman, your model looks definitely a lot better that the original. I hope you'll create several more parts for this mod.

I would really want to use this mod to it's full extend but one thing is still holding me back. The current parts are unwieldy and look terrible.

@The Space Man: What is that launchpad?

Launchpad2 was actually designed specifically to fit inside a large fairing. So FAR shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Yeah, sorry if the pic isn't very clear.

Also, I think I left the specularity slider on the default settings when I exported it from unity when I meant to turn it down, so the model is shinier than I meant it to be.

Still looks decent enough, I guess.

On a side note, does KSP support specularity maps?

I hope im remembering this from my research properly but spec maps are for reflectives right? If so i think they are supported. See some of the kw rocketry engines for example. They use both ksp reflective materials and maps for the reflections(i think:P) plus diffuse, normalmaps and emissive(heat animations) maps. But from what i see most modellers use diffuse maps and normals (i guess the way ksp treats them its more correct to call them bumpmaps even tho the colors used are those of normals?) I know planets normals are treated like "real" normalmaps where the bumps actually are 3d and not just the shading like on parts

Edited by landeTLS

I hope im remembering this from my research properly but spec maps are for reflectives right? If so i think they are supported. See some of the kw rocketry engines for example. They use both ksp reflective materials and maps for the reflections(i think:P) plus diffuse, normalmaps and emissive(heat animations) maps. But from what i see most modellers use diffuse maps and normals (i guess the way ksp treats them its more correct to call them bumpmaps even tho the colors used are those of normals?) I know planets normals are treated like "real" normalmaps where the bumps actually are 3d and not just the shading like on parts

It's called a displacement map when you're actually applying true 3d deformations to an object. Also, it's my understanding is that bumpmaps specific a height value whereas normalmaps specific a vector normal to the surface, so there are some subtle differences but they do pretty much the same thing.

Thanks everyone for all the comments on EL use with FAR. I figured that fairings would be essential. Very cool Mun base & EL construction facility there Ralathon. I look forwards to building up my own. Yes I generally have a heavily hacked version of EL too. I am now in a hurry to finish my current career as I want to start a new career with EL and the added challenge I expect from FAR.

Majiir hasn't been around for about two weeks it looks like. While I'm waiting I can get a go ahead to post the config files to add more/metal/rocketparts processing to the kethane equipment, does anyone actually want them? I've done it myself, so far works great. Heck I can even do a write up explaining how to modify it yourself for your own use...but it would take longer than it probably did to add the modules to the configs.

Just curious, because I won't bother to continue perusing it if no one is interested. :)

Majiir hasn't been around for about two weeks it looks like. While I'm waiting I can get a go ahead to post the config files to add more/metal/rocketparts processing to the kethane equipment, does anyone actually want them? I've done it myself, so far works great. Heck I can even do a write up explaining how to modify it yourself for your own use...but it would take longer than it probably did to add the modules to the configs.

Just curious, because I won't bother to continue perusing it if no one is interested. :)

Oh, I want it! I've been following this for a while now, I would love to use some new models.

Write them as MM files, that way it doesn't impede on the license. (Such as sharing actual configs for the parts)