[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

I have an strange issue with extraplanetray launchpads, I uses the orbital dock who let you build parts in orbit.

However I sent one ship to Jool, I previously build two probes with the ships dock while in LKO.

However arriving at Jool I find that the orbital dock don't work, as in clicking on it don't bring up anything, just like clicking on an structural part,

Ship has power fuel and rocket parts and is crewed.

Dock is mounted on ship with the 1.25 meter radial connector part, same as the one in LKO who works nice, the dock around Eve also work well.

Restarting the game don't solve the problem.

Any idea that might be wrong? Has I to be in orbit around an body to use it? I'm currently falling towards Jool and want to deploy an probe for Jool before I do a Laythe aerobrake.

HI been experimenting with the launch pads and they do make life on other planets a bit more interesting. I do have a problem, maybe perhaps, could be a feature i suppose, anyway, i've used launchpad 2 a lot and seem to have issues with it disappearing , i got a bit miffed turning up with a crew to find out the pad had vanished, is it a feature? or am i doing something wrong, or is something else amiss. I even landed one a KSC to keep an eye on it and it too lasted a couple of days then vanished , weird or what, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Spanner

I think there have occasionally been issues with it due to the unfolding. Something with the unfolded state partially clipping the ground. I generally put the pad ontop of other components, even though this made the pad's onboard engines useless. With that configuration the pad doesn't touch the ground. I'm not certain that's the reason I never encountered the problem with the LP2, but you could try it. If you do connect anything to the LP2's bottom node be sure to shutdown it's onboard engine or you'll be wasting fuel if you use any other engines on the ship.

Ah, yeah, you have to be in actual orbit. I'll put that down as a bug as I had thought I had all the situations, but it looks like I missed at least ESCAPING. I'll fix this ASAP so your mission can go as planned.

Worse I'm on impact trajectory with Jool :) I dropped one used science module (goo and lab) into it, and was about to spawn the Jool atmospheric return vehicle.

Yes an manned mission to fly in on Jool will do at least upper atmosphere but hopes for flying data too.

Here is the ship, dock is on backside.

GarVvaG.png

Ship will carries metal and plans to build an smelter module and a ketane and ore miner to expand operations.

magnemoe: As promised, here is the fixed version. You can now build while on an escape trajectory (but not sub-orbital). A hyperbolic impact orbit should be ok (I forgot to check that).

Thus... EL 3.7.1 released. The only change is to allow building while on an escape trajectory.

[edit] Confirmed: a hyperbolic orbit that hits the surface is still considered to be escaping, so such builds are possible. I think I'll allow builds anywhere for the next full version of EL.

Edited by taniwha

Actually, in my testing, I slowed my construction ship down in preparation for returning to Kerbin only to realize that my ship was monolithic with no heat shield (I use DRE) and no parachute. I tried to build a vessel that was just 3-man pod, chute and shield, but it was too big (I had only ~550u of parts). So I built this (just over 1t, so ~450u):

screenshot1850.jpg

With a sane reentry angle, velocity is less than 1km/s before I hit 30km (despite hitting the atmosphere at over 3km/s). ~2G@47km.

I'm curious what your current priorities are for things to do next in EL Taniwha. Is timed construction something that may be coming soon or a long way off? I wonder because for something with my AAR (or rather it's sequal) I'll need either that or attempting to do it manually. IE making notes of how long construction will take, then waiting the required amount before building it. Alarm clock certainly would be useful for that if timing isn't integrated into EL. And before anyone asks, I know there is a timed construction mod for the VAB. What I need it for is specifically for off world construction.

I know timing construction won't be everyone's cup of tea anyway, so it should definitely be optional, but I think it could help a lot with the perceived realism of the thing, especially after more complex materials for construction becomes implemented... if that is something that you're implementing Soontm. Oh, I've been reading way too much of Czokltemuss' Grand Tour! :D

Edited by Patupi

Patupi: Timed construction will be in the next release (as an option, though default). I'm currently working on some bugs in the persistence support, so it should be really soon now.

5thHorseman: heh, that could certainly make for some eye-candy, but can you imagine having a root-canal done to an eye? On a more serious(?) note, the idea behind recycling bin models was to stick with the KSP theme of taking things from the side of the road, thus the KCC (Kerbin City Council). I was looking for suitable textures for recycling (I think I wanted the usual icon), and found that bin picture, and I remembered the cover of a book I used to read when I was 6. On the cover was a picture of a father reading to his daughter, and on the cover of that book was a picture of a father reading to his daughter... I got recursion at an early age :).

Small possible bug: Mechjeb's auto pilot fails and wobbles in circles on ships I launched from the orbital launchpad unless I enable stock sas. I haven't tested this with the other lunchpads, but ships I launch from the KSC work just fine without stock sas.(not that this is a big deal just using stock sas is an easy workaround)

Small idea: Would it be possible to be able to burn rocketparts to modify parts of a ship mid flight? for example converting a fuel tank into an ore can after landing.

Your drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!

Can't wait for it to come out!

I'm hoping it'll pierce the ground personally. :D But those things look good! The second one is the lighter variant is it? It has a look of a probe drill. Though with the camera zoomed in so the drill fills the scene it's difficult to tell.

I like how you got around the problem with hoses leading to the drill :) Have a hinge and link to that, so the hose doesn't have to stretch.

I'm hoping it'll pierce the ground personally. :D But those things look good! The second one is the lighter variant is it? It has a look of a probe drill. Though with the camera zoomed in so the drill fills the scene it's difficult to tell.

I like how you got around the problem with hoses leading to the drill :) Have a hinge and link to that, so the hose doesn't have to stretch.

The second one (without the case) is actually the larger, heavier, more efficient one. I forgot to include some kind of scale reference in the pics haha. You're right though, if it was scaled down all the way it would look like a nice little sample collector for probes... (perhaps only retexture and rescale away from a new science part!)

About the hoses- you noticed! :D

Really cool. Keep up the great work bahamutoD! :)

One thing I always thought was lacking in different drill styles was a large, limited drill system. In Kethane they have a 'center stack' drill, but it comes out the side. Would it be possible to have a large drum of a drill with one, or many, drills emerging from the bottom plate? That way you have to design the ship with nothing below the drill system, another limitation forcing crashing, swearing, hitting computers people to improve their designs :)