[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

I wouldn't say easy... Poking the recycler from a kilometer out with 30 tons of vessel, LFO, and cargo is pretty unforgiving. My station should be about 40T heavier and have a lot more spare life support, but I've had to do some repairs.

Sorry, I meant "easier".

By recycled properly, do you mean the kethane "WAITNOSTOP" school of recycling?

Yes, plus a scrap (1u) of metal.

As far as editing files, it's rather easy to be honest. If you're having issues with notepad, I'd suggest wordpad as it seems to recognize the linux carriage returns.

Won't argue with that, but I believe I made some small mistake that prevents part from loading =\

Here is how it looks like:

PART {
name = RocketBuilder
module = CommandPod
author = Skyler Lehmkuhl

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.830905, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0 node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.830905, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
// node_attach = 0.0, -0.3268025, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

TechRequired = specializedConstruction
entryCost = 0
cost = 1300
category = Pods
subcategory = 0
title = Kerbal Rocket Workshop
manufacturer = Bagel
description = Build rockets to launch!
// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 1.5
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2 crashTolerance = 7
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 3000

rotPower = 15
linPower = 15

Kp = 1.0
Kd = 1.0

// --- internal setup ---
CrewCapacity = 0

vesselType = Probe

MODULE {
name = ModuleCommand
minimumCrew = 0

RESOURCE {
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.02777778
}
}

// Convert Metal to RocketParts
MODULE {
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates {
Metal = 3
ElectricCharge = 10
}
OutputRatios {
// There is always some waste when building things (sawing,
// grinding, cutoffs, etc).
RocketParts = 0.9
}
}

RESOURCE {
name = Metal
amount = 0
// a bit less than 10t (but a nice round number)
maxAmount = 256
}

RESOURCE {
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
}
}

It looks like you combined node_stack_top and node_stack_bottom into one line.

Nope.

Oops, problem was in "angularDrag = 2 crashTolerance = 7" line))

Darn, now it has no texture, just a white thing. What could be wrong again? I replaced model000.mbm and model.mu with actual files from lab folder, just keeping RB's names.

Err, shouldn't have just replaced those files with lab's. Seems I got it to work.. for now))

Edited by Mystique

Nope.

Oops, problem was in "angularDrag = 2 crashTolerance = 7" line))

Darn, now it has no texture, just a white thing. What could be wrong again? I replaced model000.mbm and model.mu with actual files from lab folder, just keeping RB's names.

Err, shouldn't have just replaced those files with lab's. Seems I got it to work.. for now))

Glad to hear you fixed it! Eventually you'll start to learn what everything does and how it all works...after a few days I was able to manipulate most of the data in the configs, but I'd probably stay away from things like node points and what not...don't want to screw those up!

For future reference, I'd suggest using the original config that goes along with the part that you're copying over. Either put it in it's own folder, if you want to keep the old part functioning as well, or replace the files in the original folder AFTER modifying them. (Can't cut and paste from a file you just copied over!) It's way easier than trying to edit the config of the old part to match the new stuff and results in less minor mistakes. Then copy and paste the modules from the config you want to replace into the new cfg.

Sorry if this has been answered before i looked for a bit on this forum and couldn't find anything about this. When I deploy the Launchpad 2 on the surface of a or any planet, after a short time it disappears, usually when I go esc to the Space Center to switch pods or ships. Is there something that I'm doing or not doing correctly? I have tired several methods attaching solar panels, resource cans, pods, struts, structures,....etc. I have even seen it once disappear, any help would be appreciated.

KSP's physics seem to go unstable with the thing when it is opened, and because it is moving when you switch away from it, KSP removes the pad because KSP thinks the pad has crashed into the surface.

I suspect there might be a problem with the colliders: there may be a few that overlap. I have a test vessel with the pad and it remains quite stable when I leave it close, but if I open it, save and come back, it dances around.

Sorry if this has been answered before i looked for a bit on this forum and couldn't find anything about this. When I deploy the Launchpad 2 on the surface of a or any planet, after a short time it disappears, usually when I go esc to the Space Center to switch pods or ships. Is there something that I'm doing or not doing correctly? I have tired several methods attaching solar panels, resource cans, pods, struts, structures,....etc. I have even seen it once disappear, any help would be appreciated.

I was having the same problem as you when I first started using EL. I tried a bunch of configurations and it suddenly stopped disappearing so I'm not sure exactly what fixed it. The first step I would suggest is making sure that all of your plugins are up to date. My launchpads (which are all currently stable and non-disappearing) are always the small stock probe controller (RC-001S) mounted beneath the launchpad. Maybe this raises the launchpad collision box above the surface, or maybe its a more stable base to sit on. Either way, it works for me, so maybe it can help you.

Good luck!

Literally two pages back I posted a config for Module Manager (which I believe Kethane comes with, so if you're mining with Kethane you aren't adding anything but a config) that will add the functionality to Kethane converters as well as hide the extra parts if you'd like.

I realize that, and I've seen it. (Good job on that!)

But I kind of like having a diversity in parts. Putting it all in Kethane is far more efficient, but having those separate parts means more distinct vehicles for distinct jobs. (although I might just copy the Kethane Drill and use its model for the Auger.)

For me I just connect something under the Landpad 2, usually something small like one of the thin probe bodies. Bear in mind this means the exhaust from LP2's own engines will be hitting whatever you stick on the bottom, and thus not provide any useful thrust! I had to add extra engines on the outside and remember to turn off LP2's own engines.

I was having the same problem as you when I first started using EL. I tried a bunch of configurations and it suddenly stopped disappearing so I'm not sure exactly what fixed it. The first step I would suggest is making sure that all of your plugins are up to date. My launchpads (which are all currently stable and non-disappearing) are always the small stock probe controller (RC-001S) mounted beneath the launchpad. Maybe this raises the launchpad collision box above the surface, or maybe its a more stable base to sit on. Either way, it works for me, so maybe it can help you.

Good luck!

Ok, Thanks, will give that i try. wasn't sure my post went through, it gave me an error when i attempted both times.

For me I just connect something under the Landpad 2, usually something small like one of the thin probe bodies. Bear in mind this means the exhaust from LP2's own engines will be hitting whatever you stick on the bottom, and thus not provide any useful thrust! I had to add extra engines on the outside and remember to turn off LP2's own engines.

Hmm.. interesting approach. I'll also give this a try, wonder in I-beams or girders would work as well. I only use the engines to position the pad, so maybe it wont be an issue. If it is there is always the robot arms on the lander to help with positioning or "disassembly gently" of it when it doesn't cooperate :wink: Thanks for the help and insight.

Thanks again to both of you guys

Finally noticed that there is a bigger version of hexcans available in sandbox. Is it intentionally absent in carreer mode?

Hexcans or those new awesomecans (or whatever they're called)? I haven't used hexcans for a while but the big red/white/blue tank-sized cans come in all 3 sizes in career mode. Is there a chance you just haven't unlocked them yet?

5thHorseman: The new cans are octagons. The hexcans are white with black ends and hexagons.

Mystique: Do you mean the cluster of 7 huge hexcans? Those are currently sandbox-only, but the other 4 sizes should be present in career mode. Huge: specializedConstruction, Large: specializedConstruction, Normal: precisionEngineering, Small: precisionEngineering. I guess the problem is where to put them in career mode.

Hmm.. interesting approach. I'll also give this a try, wonder in I-beams or girders would work as well. I only use the engines to position the pad, so maybe it wont be an issue. If it is there is always the robot arms on the lander to help with positioning or "disassembly gently" of it when it doesn't cooperate :wink: Thanks for the help and insight.

Thanks again to both of you guys

You're welcome. I'm a bit late, but here's a pic of the assembly I've used in my AAR, managing to connect girders to that probe body under the LP2 so the girders extend sideways out of the nice, handy slots in the base when unfolded.

Constructor.jpg

Had to do a dogleg with the girders to get my ground docking to work for the two things you see docked to it in that pic. A little convoluted, but it works.