[0.23.x] Coffee Industries Release Thread

CoffeeSE

Good stuff! Got some feedback regarding balancing of the CI-10 (2.5m) parts.

The bomb bay with upper wing mounts weighs 1T and comes with electricity whereas the same cargo bay without wing mounts weighs 1.8T. Reducing the latter to 1T to bring it in line with the cargo bays (with and without wing mounts) seems to be a sane thing to do. At the same time the smaller cargo/bomb bays could have their weight reduced to say 0.6.

Also, the wings probably contain too much fuel compared to the volume of FL-T800 stock fuel tank (360/440). 180/220 is probably more reasonable.

Keep up the good work!

I'll have to admit that this mod looks great. I've only ever designed one SSTO that actually worked, as I'm more of a rocketeer (is that the correct word). This mod might get me into the single-stage spaceplane game, unless I end up just strapping them to the side of a rocket and launching them like a shuttle.

Good stuff! Got some feedback regarding balancing of the CI-10 (2.5m) parts.

The bomb bay with upper wing mounts weighs 1T and comes with electricity whereas the same cargo bay without wing mounts weighs 1.8T. Reducing the latter to 1T to bring it in line with the cargo bays (with and without wing mounts) seems to be a sane thing to do. At the same time the smaller cargo/bomb bays could have their weight reduced to say 0.6.

Also, the wings probably contain too much fuel compared to the volume of FL-T800 stock fuel tank (360/440). 180/220 is probably more reasonable.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all your feedback DevL! I kinda just threw the fuel amount and stuff together just before I went home for Christmas, so I didn't really get a chance to balance anything. I'll definitely take your suggestions and adjust all the cargo bay accordingly! Btw, the parts were created on a 1 metre scale and then readjusted to 1.25 in ksp. I'd be happy to hear more feedback from you about the parts so I can make them better! Thanks again :)

*EDIT: Sorry, that 1.8T weight was a typo...

Edited by CoffeeSE

Thanks for all your feedback DevL! I kinda just threw the fuel amount and stuff together just before I went home for Christmas, so I didn't really get a chance to balance anything. I'll definitely take your suggestions and adjust all the cargo bay accordingly! Btw, the parts were created on a 1 metre scale and then readjusted to 1.25 in ksp. I'd be happy to hear more feedback from you about the parts so I can make them better! Thanks again :)

*EDIT: Sorry, that 1.8T weight was a typo...

No worries, I know my way around parts config files by now. :)

In all honesty, I've really only paid attention to the 2.5m parts as those can be easily combined with other parts and I've yet to construct a SSTO or a plain plane. I'll give that a spin soon though and let you know how it goes. Once again, many thanks for the mod!

Regarding balancing, I've noticed that the wings weigh immensly more than the stock counterparts. While the lift rating of course has been upgraded and the wings are capable of carrying fuel, even when emptying them, the wings weight about 0.9 - 1.0T each whereas a stock delta wing weigh 0.07. Not sure what the procedural wings or B9 wings weigh, but those might be worth looking at for rough figures.

Regarding balancing, I've noticed that the wings weigh immensly more than the stock counterparts. While the lift rating of course has been upgraded and the wings are capable of carrying fuel, even when emptying them, the wings weight about 0.9 - 1.0T each whereas a stock delta wing weigh 0.07. Not sure what the procedural wings or B9 wings weigh, but those might be worth looking at for rough figures.

But wings are heavy! :P Do you have a better weight in mind? I don't play KSP nearly as much as I like to due to stuff so I don't really have time to notice balance issues...

Looks like the http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-7-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod plays havoc with the colours of the parts. Might have something to do with the use of PNGs instead of MBM or TGA.

Oh ok, I'll go DL the reduction mod and re-export the files to MBM (MBM files are huge compared to .png) or TGA and see if it'll work. Thanks again for all your help DevL!

But wings are heavy! :P Do you have a better weight in mind? I don't play KSP nearly as much as I like to due to stuff so I don't really have time to notice balance issues...

You're quite right and I think it's more a case of the stock parts being absurdly light. I'll give it some thought, build a few more test planes, and lookup the weights of wings in mods uch as B9 and Procedural Wings before making any recommendations.

Oh ok, I'll go DL the reduction mod and re-export the files to MBM (MBM files are huge compared to .png) or TGA and see if it'll work.

Awesome! I think version 2.8 was just released. And TGA seems certainly preferable to MBM.

Thanks again for all your help DevL!

It's the least I can do when bestow this gift of great parts onto us. :)

Edited by DevL
Fixed formatting

The B9 wings seem to weigh around 0.1 - 0.25T depending on size (the largest is 6x5m). Now, I agree that's absurdly light compared to the real world, but given KSP's aerodynamic model I guess it's necessary from a balancing point of view. Since your wings come with the capability of carrying fuel, it makes sense that they need to be reinforced compared to standard wings, and a stock 180/220 fuel tank weighs 0.25T dry. Maybe 0.4-0.5T for a wing that can carry 180/220, defaulting to 180LF and no oxidizer?

By the way, it looks like you could reduced the footprint of the mod since you're reusing the same texture files. Similar to how B9 does it, you could put e.g. all parts using planeTextureWings.png in the same folder and rename the different part.cfg files planeWingHori.png etc.

Also, my diff app (Kaleidoscope, a lovely little thing if you've got OS X) tells me there is a small difference between planeTextureWings.png and AplaneTextureWings.png even though it's not (to me) visible to the eye. I presume it's intentional, but if it's not needed then that part could also be included in the above.

I tried installing the parts pack again and now KSP crashes during loading. I remove the Coffee Industries folder and it starts just fine. I'll try to track down the offending part in a day or two. I need to sleep now.

• 1 month later...
2 things:

1) the tandem cockpit looks AMAZING

2) You might want to check with porkjet on the lifting-body thing- he is working on lifting-body spaceplane parts.

Thanks. :)

I just sent porkjet a msg, it'd be nice to get some tips on making lifting bodies, as the VentureStar doesn't actually glide it all right now. Unpowered it falls like a rock... :(

The tandem cockpit certainly got potential. Idofind myself somewhat disturbed by the complete transparency. To me it looks like there's truely nothing between the pilots and the atmosphere/space. Given that the canopy is blue(as in VERY blue), perhaps a slight blueish tint could be used with say 10-20% opacity.

Great mod ! I like airplanes and just thought of something to have such big ones. It will be really great to have also (unless I miss it) a cargo door/bay like classic cargo plane (C-130 or C-5) in which we can put rovers/vehicles, tied them with KAS maybe or other animated hooks which can hold them during the flight.

Those parts are really nice and provided planes are nicer, thanks CoffeeSE.

Thanks! I'm currently rather busy with school, mid-terms and whatnot. C-130 style cargo bays have been considered, but I didn't want it to be too bloated, or to step of B9's toes :P

I'm slowly updating the plane cockpits and interiors right now, maybe I'll make an optional "expansion" pack for the original parts that'll have cargo holds and stuff.

That venture star look really cool!

I think Porkjet only added a lift value from a wing piece into his cockpit so you can try that. Whatever you do, don't add anything intended to add lift for FAR, it will automatically add body lift.