What will be the first thing you will do in 0.23?

astropapi1

I'm going to try doing career mode stock (last time I skipped that). I like the new science changes, so it should be a lot more fun now (I wasn't fond of the "spamming science" way of doing things).

Meanwhile I'll make a Sandbox save and try out the RAPIER engines. I want to make a "stock craft" with the RAPIER engines, if there isn't one already. What I mean by that is low part count, funny description, no part clipping, very simple.

The first thing I did was test my theory on my three-mission tech tree maximizing for 0.23. Results thus far: so very doable. Missions one and two combined got me over 2,500 science without ever leaving the Kerbin system, and of course mission 3 has the potential to get me far more even at that. I really like the new "gather data" option in EVA. Saves me a load of trouble and removes the "need" for science spam.

Since I'm fairly new to the game as a whole. I am continuing with my career mode. I had to bring one lander back from the Mun to finish out all the science there.

So, my first official new mission in .23 was send a probe out to Minmus with Mapsat on it. I was able to test out my rocket design (feasible) and also see if mapsat waw still working (still works).

So all in all this was a pretty successful first day in the new release.

First thing I will do is see how high I can get a rocket to go, consisting of parachute-mk1pod-small srb, by tweaking the maximum thrust. My theory is that by limiting the thrust, the SRB will burn longer and won't work so hard pushing through the lower atmosphere.

I got to 44,170 m with thrust limited to 37.5% (TWR=2), and 47,265 m with thrust limited to 32.5% (TWR=1.75)

I raced to the new science module as fast as I was able.

Also I installed Kethane for the first time ever. Double the excitement! I'm kind of glad I waited on it as long as I did, I'm finding it quite polished.

Edited by PTNLemay

I see you haven't read the OP.

Not sure where the "OP" is; feel free to direct us to it.

However, the first thing I did was open my saved game in career mode. Checked all my stations with "perma-docked" buggy docking ports. They still won't work, I'm assuming they only work correctly when used in a new save file. Everything else looks pretty fluid.

Sending rover based labs to planets. For science!!! Oh wait, how much science will I need to unlock this?

Well, the lab is not as powerful for just data transmission, but it can reset science. That gives some interesting possibilities... Now not sure what's better: lab-rover or orbital lab + reusable lander

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.