What is the most unexpected thing that has happened to you?

SergeantBlueforce

My mothership exploding violently halfway to Dres, just as game loaded :huh: Yay for Alt+F4 and quickload combination :D And before that, a new lander doing the same in LKO when i activated its engine. Luckily capsule survived intact, so i was able to rescue the crew.

Getting an SSTO into orbit and docking it with my spacestation when mechjeb could not (not enough dV for Mechanical Jebediah).

After months of docking things myself, doing all burns myself and crashing into Ike (after orbiting Duna,see ribbons) myself I decided its time to use Mechjeb for my precision work...

Edited by nine_iron

I married a model. Oh, you mean in KSP. Well the first time I tried a transfer to Duna I missed and shot off into space and ended up being captured by Jool. I managed a nice orbit but I wasn't able to get back to Kerbin because I didn't know how at the time. The poor Kerbal thought he was going to Duna and ended up orbiting Jool for the rest of his life. When he knew he was lost and would die he decided to EVA so that he could die looking at the vastness of space.

Was messing around trying to make a SSTO that could go dock with a small thing I had in orbit and wasn't really getting anywhere. On my sixth or seventh redesign, I put on a single linear RCS thruster on the belly just in case. The plane ended up making it into orbit and I was able to rendezvous and dock. It was my first time docking and I was very surprised I made it, especially with the unbalanced RCS.

I built one of my first planes and was attempting to fly it to the north pole. It ran out of fuel and I expected to crash, but instead the plane managed to glide its way down and land on the ice. I really didn't understand much of how planes worked in KSP at the time, but I really did expect my plane to crash when it ran out of fuel.

Most unexpected thing?

I would say it was a tie. I had been playing with a mod that gives your kerbals a parachute when they go EVA and I hopped out of the pod (for science!) while it was on the way down and parachuted my way back to kerbin. Only to have my pod land on top of me...

The other was I had a panic mass staging because my rocket was going haywire. Had one of my boosters circle back around and hit the command pod.

This happened to me the first time i bought the game and made a plane, I was just flying around when i decided i wanted to land ( yes the first plane I ever made flu), I turn around and head back to the KSC runway, after landing back on the runway I got an idea " i wonder if I can just slide to a stop?" little did i know at the time parts don't slide in ksp, I retract the landing gear and POOF my fusalage is gone and both my wings fly up in to the air with out me perfectly level as my command pod comes to a stop.... I was like :confused:.........LOL:D

Most unexpected thing:

I was so focused on aiming perfectly with my intercept that I neglected to ensure I had my speed matched (not using map, just aiming for the rendezvous). I ended up smashing two large vehicles into each other at 200 m/s or so. LOL

Annnnnnd.... cue Gravity scene. I didn't realize what was happening until about 1 second until impact... OUCH.

Was trying to rescue a stranded Kerbal on the Mun with a drone controlled lander. Whilst coming down, I realised i didn't have the thrust to slow it down in time - but I did have four full tanks of fuel complete with landing legs that could be jettisoned. I was going at roughly 50 m/s at a height of roughly 50 meters, panicked, jettisoned 4 tanks of fuel and my landing legs, slowed down perfectly and landed on the engine without it tipping over, within 100 meters of the stranded Kerbal who made it on his last minutes of life support (i was using TAC at the time), and was then able to return to Kerbin.

Needless to say I was completely stunned at how lucky I got.

The most unexpected thing that ever happened to me was my MapSat crashing into a "Statue" in Kerbin orbit and getting blasted apart, with the probe core flung off high above Kerbin. The only Statue in KSP is the one in front of the temple of ziggurats in the desert…but my MapSat data file showed that the satellite had been in stable orbit for almost a day and wasn't even over the desert when the weirdness occurred. Obviously some freak collision detection bug…never did figure out what caused it.

But it was the event that brought me to the KSP Forums.

WqxTe77.png

A few versions back, I had a big rocket that sent four pieces of debris flying out of the Kerbol system in different directions whenever it launched. I could never figure out what they were or where they got their velocity.

I sent a probe to the moon trying to see if I could soft land it on my first try, ran out of fuel so it ended up in a wide orbit through the system because I near missed mum by less than a Km then noticed the next day that it had somehow (aparently it had slingshoted around one of the moons while I was launching other ships) ended up in a wide orbit around the sun. Fortunatly I had just started sticking solar pannels on everything I launch so I was able to radio back all of that Science, :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.