[1.12.x] Ship Manifest (Crew, Science, & Resources) - v 6.0.8.0 - 28 Apr 23

Papa_Joe

Also, if this helps I am not using CLS mod.

Sounds like I'm not properly instantiating something prior to the vessel change event, or I lost the object after the event and I assumed it still existed...

Frorm the sound of it I should be able to duplicate. I'm out of town on business at the moment, so it will be Friday night before I can look into it.

Ad least it is easier to close that darn debug window now... :P

Here's some logs, I can't figure out what is going on. On top of that the crew transfers are not working. Please note - this is with CLS installed. I will test without it to see if it is causing these problems.

I don't understand however and I do hope you can give an explanation Papa_Joe - if CLS is not a requirement, how does the Crew Transfer work? Does it still comply with the passable/impassable rules like CLS? Does it detect some which modules can be reached? Does it search for a passable path to destination module? Or without CLS Crew can be just thrown to any module regardless of whether there is a path available?

Is there any benefit to using CLS, even if it is optional and what is it?

There are the actual logs:

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo73lmlhnbm7swo/DebugLog_1032014_104241_AM.txt?dl=0

2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4pvc2nxmmfawbv/DebugLog_1032014_104254_AM.txt?dl=0

And the output log:

3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/g78bn2vshyixs6t/output_log.txt?dl=0

There are some other various errors, such as Science Alert and Docking Port Alignment Indicator, but I will post about those in their respective threads.

EDIT: Ok, as an addition, the first time I load a vessel it shows the Manifest button on the default toolbar. Then, the moment I switch to the map view, the ship manifest disappears and never shows up again, no matter which vessel I load.

EDIT #2: Seems like I cannot transfer any crew. Each time I try it throws up errors, I didn't save the log this time, but I guess it will be the same as the above.

Edited by smunisto

Here's some logs, I can't figure out what is going on. On top of that the crew transfers are not working. Please note - this is with CLS installed. I will test without it to see if it is causing these problems.

I don't understand however and I do hope you can give an explanation Papa_Joe - if CLS is not a requirement, how does the Crew Transfer work? Does it still comply with the passable/impassable rules like CLS? Does it detect some which modules can be reached? Does it search for a passable path to destination module? Or without CLS Crew can be just thrown to any module regardless of whether there is a path available?

Is there any benefit to using CLS, even if it is optional and what is it?

There are the actual logs:

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo73lmlhnbm7swo/DebugLog_1032014_104241_AM.txt?dl=0

2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4pvc2nxmmfawbv/DebugLog_1032014_104254_AM.txt?dl=0

And the output log:

3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/g78bn2vshyixs6t/output_log.txt?dl=0

There are some other various errors, such as Science Alert and Docking Port Alignment Indicator, but I will post about those in their respective threads.

EDIT: Ok, as an addition, the first time I load a vessel it shows the Manifest button on the default toolbar. Then, the moment I switch to the map view, the ship manifest disappears and never shows up again, no matter which vessel I load.

EDIT #2: Seems like I cannot transfer any crew. Each time I try it throws up errors, I didn't save the log this time, but I guess it will be the same as the above.

Whew!

First, Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. it makes the task of getting it right much easier. Kudos to you! If you could add one more file, and that is the config.xml file in the plugins\plugindata\shipmanifest folder.

Now, to address each question and concern,

"if CLS is not a requirement, how does the Crew Transfer work?"

Ship Manifest is based on Crew Manifest, as described in my OP. With CLS off (or not installed), crew transfers are possible to any part that can contain a kerbal. No limitation. It does not distinguish contiguous spaces so you can move a kerbal anywhere.

With CLS installed and turned ON, the "intention" is to be aware of spaces, and the path thru the vessel so as to simulate a more realistic experience. If your hatches are closed, or there is a non passable part between the source and target, then transfer is not possible.

Now the rub. At this time, my implementation of CLS enabled crew transfers sucks. Highlighting is causing me headaches. I'm scrapping my current method as we speak to rethink the process. So that is why I noted in my OP that it was a known issue. My apologies for the "rough" experience.

"Is there any benefit to using CLS, even if it is optional and what is it?"

The benefit is subjective. If you don't care whether or not it is possible for a kerbal to realistically move internally between parts or you simply choose not to EVA, then running without CLS is the way to go. However, if you want to have to EVA when it is not "realistically" possible to move internally, then CLS will give you a greater sense of where your living spaces are (i like this ins a space station especially), then you really should take a good look at CLS.

Again the rub. I need to fix it. This my top priority at this moment. My next feature, hatch management cannot be implemented until I get crew movement right. I'm hard at work now.

To work around the issue at this moment, in the settings window, there is an option named "Enable CLS". turn it off, save and restart the game. This will put it in standard mode and the errors should go away.

I will update as soon as I have addressed the crew movement issues with CLS enabled.

back to work :)

Edited by Papa_Joe
grammer, clarifications.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rs5wh8dbmayexb/config.xml?dl=0

There's the config. So basically for now, for the cleanest implementation possible I should stick to SM without CLS, and hope that crew transfers will start working and stop throwing errors :)

Thanks!

Yes that is correct. As an alternative, just turn it off in settings. they will coexist this way, and you can use CLS from the toolbar.

Getting CLS right is a high priority for me. I like it. :)

Missed something:

"Ok, as an addition, the first time I load a vessel it shows the Manifest button on the default toolbar. Then, the moment I switch to the map view, the ship manifest disappears and never shows up".

I noticed in the config.xml that you have blizzy toolbar enabled. The default toolbar is now the KSP one, on the upper right of the screen, and Blizzy's toolbar is configurable for each scene.

Now you did not tell me if the SM icon returns when you return to flight view. If it does, and never appears in map view, then you need to add it to Blizzy tool bar in that scene too. I will remember after that.

Edited by Papa_Joe

Thanks!

Yes that is correct. As an alternative, just turn it off in settings. they will coexist this way, and you can use CLS from the toolbar.

Getting CLS right is a high priority for me. I like it. :)

Well, I never really figured out what exactly can I "Use" in CLS standalone. It seems to be just a button that indicates which part is connected to which part.

Were you able to recreate that error I had? I didn't save logs after all. I saved the KSP.log, I never knew about the output_log until now. If need be I can always try again to recreate it. I think I have to make a new campaign.

Not yet :)

Dont worry about the logs. I've seen the error before, and it is part of my CLS overhaul.

Just got back from my business trip. Figured I'd check my posts and respond before I dived in.

Soon. :)

Edited by Papa_Joe

Well, I never really figured out what exactly can I "Use" in CLS standalone. It seems to be just a button that indicates which part is connected to which part.

Yup. that's it. it is an "API". meaning that (unless you already know) that its a programming interface. I can access it from SM and make it do things for me. It saves me the trouble of figuring out all the paths and spaces myself.

It "standardizes" it for other mod developers. But at least you can see the living spaces, and it can help you with designing vessels that allow internal movement, saving the need for eva.

OK, I just recreated it before I saw your reply. Here is my stuff anyways.

New Campaign, first flight, first time clicking on Science Alert.

http://www./download/3c5a2klvv72256v/Raven_Log's.zip

Got it. thanks!

BTW, I updated an earlier post about your initial errors. Here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/62270-0-24-2-Ship-Manifest-%28Crew-Science-Resources%29-v0-24-2_3-3-2-28-Sep-14?p=1450636&viewfull=1#post1450636 added stuff for Blizzy toolbar.

Nope. The config file is not 100% accurate, because those logs were taken at one point and then I reinstalled SM multiple times and did multiple tests with or without CLS, and the config is from one of these reinstalls.

In any case, to properly explain the situation:

After a clean reinstall(SM settings are default), the stock toolbar SM button appears when I load a planted flag. Then I open the Map view, the SM button disappears(so far, this is normal behaviour). From the Map view I select another vessel and load it. Upon loading the SM button does not reappear.

After a few uninstalls and reinstalls, however, the button does persist and appears consistently after each load, no matter the vessel. So maybe something was just happening on my side, I cannot reproduce the "disappearing" button anymore.

Or maybe it's just the 700 grams of Dimple talking already...I should just go to bed.

I got this log:

Info: CLS Installed? False

Error: in OnVesselChange. Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ShipManifest.ShipManifestBehaviour.OnVesselChange (.Vessel newVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It happened after launch of ship and when the mod Science Alert alerted me of science. I click on Science Alert for the first time and then clicked EVA report from SE mod, then this error came up from Ship Manifest.

Ok, found the cause.

I use a variable containing the current vessel data to do work during that event. However, at that time, no vessel data has yet been saved. No object = error. Added a check for a valid object.

Papa_Joe, there is a problem: at the first start the program, the new version of your plugin works fine. But as soon as you leave on the map or in the center of tracking when you return, your plug-in button disappears. If it is required I can distribute any screenshots.

What do you advise?

(I apologize in advance for my english. Thank you very much for the wonderful plugin!)

Papa_Joe, there is a problem: at the first start the program, the new version of your plugin works fine. But as soon as you leave on the map or in the center of tracking when you return, your plug-in button disappears. If it is required I can distribute any screenshots.

What do you advise?

(I apologize in advance for my english. Thank you very much for the wonderful plugin!)

Thanks!

It has been reported, I've duplicated the error, and am working a fix.

After going on EVA pops-up window with this inside, and then no Ship Manifest icon (so far) for the rest of playthrough. Hope it'll help :)

Thanks! That is a useful piece of info. I will test right away. Do you have CLS turned on by chance?

Also, Just a heads up:

I have added Ship Manifest to KerbalStuff. Link is in OP.

Enjoy.

Edited by Papa_Joe

Do you have CLS turned on by chance?

Nope. Neither turned on nor even installed at all. Maybe some bug with vanilla crew transportation (new feature of .25) ? If might be source of issue, as I'm sure I used it several times throughout my mission, and error popped up as well several times. But, it's just a guess, nothing confirmed.

Thank you, btw, for awesome mod. I was against such "teleportation" at first. But as I grew up as ksp player.... and installed several mods (such as DMagic Orbital Science) - it's getting really annoying each time travel into deeps of ur ship, to gather all new juicy science :D

Yet I suggest to everyone new to ksp first play without using teleportation. EVA is ... khm... much fun :cool:

Well, we won't the crew transfer feature anymore, seeing as how Squad implemented it in 0.25.

I know that I did not comment on this earlier, but I thought it important for folks to consider these musings.

At some point in game development Squad will do away with the need for many of the mods we have today. This is a simple fact, given the mod community's involvement from nearly the beginning, to fill the "holes" in KSP as it evolved over time.

I'd be surprised if my mod survives to "official" release, as so much will have changed between now and when release finally comes. We are still in alpha, and many features are still being invented and developed.

I'm thinking when we reach beta (near feature complete), I will know much more than I do now regarding the "direction" of SM. it may evolve, or it may simply "die" as a consequence of Squads development road map.

I'm okay with either. SM is nearing feature complete, with bugs and minor tweaks remaining after Hatches. You folks will let me know what if anything else is needed with time. :)

I'm hoping I get the chance to create something else of value for the community, and my planned checklists plugin may be that project.

Nope. Neither turned on nor even installed at all. Maybe some bug with vanilla crew transportation (new feature of .25) ? If might be source of issue, as I'm sure I used it several times throughout my mission, and error popped up as well several times. But, it's just a guess, nothing confirmed.

Thank you, btw, for awesome mod. I was against such "teleportation" at first. But as I grew up as ksp player.... and installed several mods (such as DMagic Orbital Science) - it's getting really annoying each time travel into deeps of ur ship, to gather all new juicy science :D

Yet I suggest to everyone new to ksp first play without using teleportation. EVA is ... khm... much fun :cool:

Thanks for the kind words!

I have to agree. I feel everyone should play the game stock, to really learn how its done the kerbal way, and then, when you want to go for production vs learning, install all the mods you desire. Learning the basics is very important for really getting the most from the game. I LOVE the ability to EVA, but is don't want to HAVE to every time I have to go anywhere.

I personally play with realism turned on and CLS turned off. I prefer a more open game, but still like some of the realism elements I put into SM. I can turn realism off in settings when I feel the need or desire.

MechJeb also has to be mentioned and there are a few "opinions" on that. In keeping with my philosophy of choice, I highly recommend learning the game without MechJeb at first. after learning, I personally feel it is a MUST to be able to "get anything done".

Imagine Kethane mining with 20+ vessels, bases on planets and such without it... soooooo teeddddeeeeiiiooouuussss.....

:D

Edited by Papa_Joe