On Rocket/Spacecraft Robustness in v0.23

rodion_herrera

One of the first things I did with v0.23, after I noticed the increase in FPS, was to load up some of my more complex rocket designs (i.e 500+ parts) and fly it up to LKO. Everything seemed great at first, and then I noticed something--parts that used to be robust and wouldn't fall apart on ascent, were now tearing itself out of their attach points, thereby destroying the stack. I also noticed this with some of my winged SSTO designs, esp. wing roots (the part where a wing meets the fuselage or fuel tanks). I never experienced that before with any of my aerospace planes. So anyone experience or notice this issue with robustness as well?

I only got to play briefly last night, but my 328-part Jool explorer vehicle fell apart right after its first stage separation. I've had about a dozen successful launches with this vehicle design or its derivatives under .21 and .22. So, yes, things seem to be more fragile under .23.

I did notice that I had a LV-T30 that kept getting shaken off while the SRBs were burning... didn't think much of it and tweaking the staging so that it was burning with the SRBs fixed it. This is a ~20 part rocket so not kraken related.

I've had a stack destroyed when an orange tank separated from a medium grey tank (you know, to prevent overheating of mainsails). Those tanks were actually reinforced in their connection by girders with strut connections. Worked like a charm before, now it just randomly breaks on ascent.

Tested this twice, happened both times. Mainsail keeps firing, can't separate the rest of the stack because the thrust is too high. Awesome framerate now though, so I can see it all going to bits smoothly.

I noticed "Stress Tolerance" in parts has changed from being a number, to a value of acceptable acceleration. (Parts that used to be "8" are now "8 m/s²". I would postulate this is just a renaming of a property, and not an alteration of the existing parts.

I second the motion that ye need more of ye olde strutes.

I've been working on a space shuttle, and I've gotten some random explosions when physics load, usually where parts are clipped together and launch stabilizers are present. I really wish those were fixed -- they were perfect before .22.

I've been working on a space shuttle, and I've gotten some random explosions when physics load, usually where parts are clipped together and launch stabilizers are present. I really wish those were fixed -- they were perfect before .22.

Pics?

I've noticed that the launch clamps are just as weak as they were in 0.22. I the trick is to attach the clamps to a single part such as the big fuel tank , so if the clamps shift, it shouldn't rip the rocket apart.

Edited by Giggleplex777

Yes,I met the same thing. All my sstos docking on several stations all lost one side of their winds. And the now flipping the whole station with no reason and all the reaction wheel can not stop this spinning. I have to abandon them right away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.