I mix up the real solar system and KSP's solar system far too often

CaptRobau

Recently I've begun to catch myself mixing up the real solar system and that of KSP a lot. The other day I had to write down the list of planets for a project and went: "Mercury, Venus, Earth, Du..." And today I was dealing with some Venus stuff and thought to myself: "Why didn't Mariner visit Venus's moon?"

Anyone else catching themselves doing the same?

Recently I've begun to catch myself mixing up the real solar system and that of KSP a lot. The other day I had to write down the list of planets for a project and went: "Mercury, Venus, Earth, Du..." And today I was dealing with some Venus stuff and thought to myself: "Why didn't Mariner visit Venus's moon?"

Anyone else catching themselves doing the same?

I looked up last night and saw Jool was quite close to the Mun.

I know when I am recording videos I catch myself saying the Earth instead of Kerbin a lot of the time. I know some might also say that using the term sun to describe Kerbol is wrong, but to me if it is what helps produce like on the planet that is a sun in my eyes.

I know when I am recording videos I catch myself saying the Earth instead of Kerbin a lot of the time. I know some might also say that using the term sun to describe Kerbol is wrong, but to me if it is what helps produce like on the planet that is a sun in my eyes.

Well, the science archive page says Sun, so I guess the devs might be wrong.

Well, the science archive page says Sun, so I guess the devs might be wrong.

It's called the Sun in game, and it always has been. Nowhere in the game (check the tracking station) is it called the Sun. The devs aren't wrong, everyone else is.

No, the devs call it the sun. It's the comunity that nicknamed it Kerbol

Which is probably appropriate. We don't call our sun Sol unless we're referring to the whole star system. Our star is the Sun, but it's the center of the Sol System. So Kerbin's star is the Sun, but it's part of the Kerbol system. An outsider might call the star Kerbol, but the Kerbals wouldn't.

Which is probably appropriate. We don't call our sun Sol unless we're referring to the whole star system. Our star is the Sun, but it's the center of the Sol System. So Kerbin's star is the Sun, but it's part of the Kerbol system. An outsider might call the star Kerbol, but the Kerbals wouldn't.

That is a VERY good explanation. Nice

Note quite, but I have been thinking of the gas in my car in terms of delta-v budget. And when I need to brake, I think "N key" sometimes.

Yeah. I think of it not as braking but burning retrograde.

And every time I come to a roundabout (US: traffic circle?) I'm thinking of SOI and escape velocity and wondering whether I could use a maneuver node.

Yeah. I think of it not as braking but burning retrograde.

And every time I come to a roundabout (US: traffic circle?) I'm thinking of SOI and escape velocity and wondering whether I could use a maneuver node.

As long as you dont take your foot completly off the gas, cause, you know, you are orbiting and all...

Just recently, i watched a car shooting out of a roundabout at 100m/s... nice slingshot-maneuver, i thought. :D

Edit: Thinking about it, there might be something to computer-controlled electro-magnetic (or alternatively remote-controlling cars directly) centres for roundabouts, after all... slowing entering cars down to a set max speed, pushing leaving cars out... maybe someday, we wil actually see such things...

Edited by Mr. Scruffy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.