Why wont devs add simple yet usuable tweaks?

Im sure that optimalization of code that caused major fps improvment in 0.23 was much work for devs.

But there are many simple things that woud make players life easier. I mean REALLY SIMPLE. Like:

- Adding exit to main menu option in pause menu

- Time warp in space center

- (Add your tweak that adding woudl save you 1 hour per month of playing here)

These were mentioned many times. I wonder why devs leve these out. It not like new aerodynamic system or resources.

Edited by kiwiak

I don't see how exit to menu is a priority. I also doubt it's simple

Having a good interface for your game should always be high priority. Adding exit to menu and exit to windows buttons would be a a couple of lines of code. It'd take minutes to add. They're standard things that all polished games have, they could probably copy/paste it from any other game that uses the same engine. You can already use alt-f4 to exit the game, but there isn't an equivalent if you want to exit to menu.

many simple things

Many things that seem simple aren't. Also, even the simplest dumb fix is an hour of work to think about, design, implement, test, etc -- and there are only so many hours.

That said, I too would like to see time warp in the control center (in the space center overview screen, time doesn't pass at all).

Im sure that optimalization of code that caused major fps improvment in 0.23 was much work for devs.

But there are many simple things that woud make players life easier. I mean REALLY SIMPLE. Like:

- Adding exit to main menu option in pause menu

- Time warp in space center

- (Add your tweak that adding woudl save you 1 hour per month of playing here)

These were mentioned many times. I wonder why devs leve these out. It not like new aerodynamic system or resources.

- GUI modifications look simple to people, but you need to remember KSP isn't a person. It's a body of code. And GUI alterations can often be a lot more work than you'd think. It can be an absolute pain in the neck to get them looking okay.

- Again, they'd have to alter the GUI to do this.

- (Insert other reason why it is never as simple as it sounds)

I can give another reason why not: the transition logic for quick-change menu options is generally a nightmare of code. There's a reason why not very many console RPGs ever featured a Load option as well as a Save option in-game, and the transition logic is exactly why. To the player, going from "in flight" to "main menu" seems simple. To a programmer, that's basically saying, "go unload a very specific chunk of the game from memory that makes up more than half of the current runtime environment, and make sure you don't leave any memory leaks or ignored critical variables; oh yeah, and do all of this in as short a timespan as possible".

The most impressive code in games is not the code that lets you experience the game, it's the code that lets the game actually function at all in delivering that experience.

As for me, an option to cancel selection in the VAB/SPH would be nice.

I strongly second that. Ctrl-z undo does work in its way, but it's that moment in the VAB when you try to click on a misplaced strut and take off the whole 6x strap-on assembly instead that gets frustrating. You know right then you made a mistake and it would be so nice to be able to press esc to undo that selection and be back where you were a misplaced click ago..

You mean like an Undo function? Ctrl+Z does work. However, it can sometimes lag a bit on larger constructions and undo a bit too​ much.

Yeah, it seems to sometimes just decide to undo two steps, which is really annoying. I suppose while we're on the subject of small tweaks though, some I'd like very much - science antennas that don't retract, faster camera movement when switching angles, and faster camera movement on the menu.

Because there are only so many hours in the day and they have higher priority things to get in the game first. This is not a released game. This is Early access. The creature comfort small things happen at the end of development when they are getting ready for the final build for release. Big complex things that take a lot of time are what is the priority right now.

I would like the O key to reopen a maneuver node that just collapsed. And undo for the last tweak I made to the maneuver node.

Plus, the ability to set the conic draw mode and conic patch limit in the game would be nice... these options could be in the Alt-F12 dialog box where they won't confuse beginners.

I know Harvester planned to include the conic patch draw mode and (maybe) limit settings in the map screen interface somewhere when it was first implemented... I'm holding out on the hope that it'll be included with some sort of flight planning interfaces in the midst of all the Career mode updates.

Check your settings.cfg file ;-)

Um...yes, you can change those values by editing the settings.cfg file. I said it would be nice to have an in-game way of editing those settings. I like to be able to switch back and forth between conics modes depending on what I'm doing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.