[0.25]Odysseus STS Block V - Accurate Stock Space Shuttle (Over 2000 Downloads!)

This:

nfmojYP.png

Or this?

nJR8GNI.png

The second one has more parts, but it looks more like the real thing.

I am going to try making one too... mwahahaha...

*edit*

Here is what I did so far... After looking at you're screenshots I set about making something similar... just trying to make the Shuttle part first... I've tested it and it glides easily and can land very easy..

Now to figure out the rocket part *__*

*I cant get it into orbit*

xD

https://24.media.tumblr.com/d6d710e0c7462e0ed2ac9c2f11fe7ee1/tumblr_n1dn240jbD1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/9b34b282c3d475b0c08ea491d70a4ed5/tumblr_n1dn240jbD1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/bdac6f2b78fee89937f3820dbad64c62/tumblr_n1dn240jbD1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/33a136439d6868e662be677a10bae636/tumblr_n1dn240jbD1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/81dd138d280bd2cc8ec589a7d832b107/tumblr_n1dn240jbD1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

That looks really heavy. :P

Edited by Giggleplex777

Snip

First one. I think the first one looks more realistic, on the second one you can see where the OMS pods start with the nosecones on the front.

Wait, while typing this I realized how the engines are still angled while the actual pods are still straight. This is a tough decision. The RCS setup on the new one is also better in that it extrudes from the back.

How many more parts is it? Odysseus STS is already an amazingly low part count for what it is, not sure which to choose. :)

First one. I think the first one looks more realistic, on the second one you can see where the OMS pods start with the nosecones on the front.

Wait, while typing this I realized how the engines are still angled while the actual pods are still straight. This is a tough decision. The RCS setup on the new one is also better in that it extrudes from the back.

How many more parts is it? Odysseus STS is already an amazingly low part count for what it is, not sure which to choose. :)

The second one has 3 more parts.

Oh, then what are you waiting for! Do it if it's more realistic and looks better. :)

I haven't tested the second version on a rocket yet, so I'm going to try it now.

I also widened the cargo bay a bit so the shuttle looks better.

Edited by Giggleplex777

Did you just make a plane purposely for carrying the shuttle?

Yes. The plane was pretty easy to build, anyways. :)

Can't believe you even made a plane for it. You've got some pretty cool 'poop' there. :)

I actually wanted to test the gliding ability of the shuttle, especially after the lost of two returning spacecraft.

Edited by Giggleplex777

I always liked it since the day you first posted it, but tbh, I never felt the need to download it. It was just a nice little craft to look at.

I've always felt like I should design my own stuff, because using other people's stuff feels like using someone's toothbrush, so I tried designing my own shuttle with a couple of mods.

BMOs3i7.png

It didn't work. :P

Eventually, I gave up and downloaded your shuttle, but just so I could see how you built it. Oh man, how I wish I would have downloaded it earlier.

XJqeyYU.png

qjdqHme.png

lX3bTWr.png

raZGheZ.png

That thing you see there is an eve probe with a kick stage, massing a whooping 2.4t. With about 2300 ÃŽâ€v, it had more than enough to set the probe on an impact trajectory, after which it would land using a parachute.

RwPAejU.png

It flew perfectly in the first flight, and still had lots of fuel for deorbiting. That means it's idiot-proof. :P

Unfortunately, I messed up the deorbit burn and ended up coming short of the KSC, and instead of reloading the quicksave I had made just before deorbiting, I accidentally reverted to the VAB... So now there's no STS-1, no Eve probe on it's way, and just a couple of pictures from the non-existent flight. :(

EDIT: Oh, and sorry for posting so many screenshots. I wish the spoiler tags still worked...

Edited by astropapi1

I always wonder how people get planes (or gliders) to fly so well... :P

Personally, I feel the Odysseus STS handles well, it has at least some lift to guide it to landing. :)

Whenever I tried space shuttles I spam lifting surfaces at the back (clipping like 4 on each sides). And yes, it still flies like a brick... :P Sideways swept wings must be the cause, it's a shame because they make the wings look so good. :(

The first real mission of Odysseus v2.0, STS-01A. The mission was to install the new solar panels to a space station as well as transfer its over to the station. The shuttle was modified to accommodate the larger RCS tug, which was used to assemble the components.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Giggleplex777

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.