[0.23] Alternis Kerbol - Release thread - [v0.1, Jan. 3] (development halted)

NovaSilisko

How do you do an alternate install of KSP? Just copy it into another folder? If so, for those of using Steam - will that still work?

Yeah it works...I currently have two copies, .23 with alternis and a .22 that was an old forgotten backup. I think I might start making backups of all versions so I can play with them in the future to see how far the game has come.

Yeah it works...I currently have two copies, .23 with alternis and a .22 that was an old forgotten backup. I think I might start making backups of all versions so I can play with them in the future to see how far the game has come.

That's a good idea, I think I still have a copy of 0.18.2 the first version I played

Alright, so I got this mod and all of my other mods playing nicely now, but I do have a bug to report.

Minmus has numerous spots on the surface which are bellow zero meters, making the screen turn black when your camera attempts to follow your Kerbals down to the surface. This can be disastrous for landings!

-Don

I know I'm kind of late to the party, but let me just try to express my extreme gratitude at this project.

I downloaded it a few weeks ago, but finally got some free time and decided to give it a try -- reluctantly, since I tend to be something of a purist. I knew there were a host of impressive changes, but the only ones I remembered were "Kerbin is now a moon of Jool" and "comets", and that was enough for me to want to check it out.

Stunning. My daughter, who likes to look over my shoulder while I fly, suggested that I put a space station into Jool orbit.

Fair enough. I slapped together a core, lobbed it into orbit, and set up a nuclear stage to dock to it and carry it Elsewhere.

As I started closing in, station core in front of me and sun behind, I thought, "I should check to see how much more sunlight I've got."

My finger didn't even have enough time to hit the M key when CRACK. BOOM. Midnight.

Oh, yeah. There's no ambient light in the dark anymore, is there?

Thankfully, I'd remembered some lights. Even so, docking in the dark got the adrenaline moving -- and it's been a while since I felt that without leaving Kerbin orbit.

Space is dangerous again, and I love you for it. Thanks so much for this mod.

So since some people were wondering how to get to Gilly, here is how I did it:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Basically, the farther you are from the Sun, the less delta-v it will take to change your orbit. I only went a little past Eeloo since it was taking a lot of RL time, but it would take even less delta-v if you went farther out.

Greetings folks! I've long been a fan of Alexmoon's Launch Window Planner, so when I switched to AK and could no longer use it, I was short a useful tool, and being robbed of useful tools by context makes me want to re-create those useful tools within said context.

So I did! With Alexmoon's kind permission and under the terms of their license, I transmuted, by means of trivial data entry, the Launch Window Planner for Alternis Kerbol. This does not feature the Bop Moonlet option, in part because it doesn't work.

Enjoy!

The Bop Moonlet does work.

To be clear, I mean that it doesn't work meaningfully in the Launch Window Planner, not that it doesn't work in AK. When I set up Bop as a moonlet in the launch planner, while nothing bad happens, you can't select it as a target from anywhere, and you can't select anything as a target when it is the origin. So, since Boplet is just an option anyway, I left it out.

NovaSilisco -I just can't explain to you how much I love this mod. The darkened ambiance is so perfect, the cloud giant as a Moon. The entire layout is fantastic. Because I adore it so much I just have one request. Could you make a ringed gas giant with a couple interesting moons as the furthest system with a normal orbit around the Kerbin Sun? And have 3 moons orbiting Saturn:

Have the gas giant be based on Saturn: saturn_aurora_hubble_28_jan_2004_med.jpg

----------------------------------

and the moons be:

----------------------------------

Enceladus: Enceladusstripes_cassini.jpg

--------------------------------------

Europa: 485650main_PIA02590-Europa.jpg

------------------------------------

Oberon: Oberon_USGS1.jpg

Does this delete saves? I'm guessing yes

And also does it require more RAM than normal ksp (i'm running quite quite a few mods)

This doesn't delete saves, but it may break them or make them nonsense. ;) I accidentally loaded a non-Alternis save into Alternis. It came up OK, but there were a bunch of things that didn't make sense, like ships orbiting a body outside its SOI, and so on.

I've not personally looked into the RAM changes. It adds a few textures so it probably adds some RAM usage, but I doubt it's extensive. That's just a guess, though.

Is this mod MechJeb compatible? would be cool if it is.

that's the beauty of mechjeb, since version 2, mechjeb can work with any celestial body, stock or mod, because celestial bodies no longer have to be hardcoded into the mod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.