[0.23] Alternis Kerbol - Release thread - [v0.1, Jan. 3] (development halted)

NovaSilisko

I went to Gilly and back to low LKO, whew! that took a lot of fuel. Metaphor I don't know how you did it with such a small ship. I needed about 9 km/s each way. I bought three materials bays, a mk1 lander can, and a small RCS lander with a command seat.

After the modules are back in LKO, I pick them up with my shuttle.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The pack doesn't do anything to alter science, as far as I can tell. It's just that the science giving bodies are... muddled up. Mun is pretty easy to access still, Laythe even moreso, but much harder to return from. Minmus is here, but way down the gravity well. Think Moho.

Some strange things pop up due to bad assumptions. Kerbin is tidally locked to Jool, which can wreak havoc on one's logic. It's a fun step up in difficulty, at least at first.

Try it with Bop as a moons moon, it's pretty trippy.

Getting out of the Jool system is... tricky. Its a long way to Tylo, lets just say.

It's a really fun mod, I hope it gets expanded on , but no rush to the author, generous as they are to release it at all.

(Can you tell i've played it a whole bunch?? Hah!)

Edited to add, this Jool system is also insanely easy to practice gravity assists in. If you thought Duna + Ike were hard to miss in orbit, try out a Laythe. You can get some big assists off it. My first Mun lander managed to make it back to Kerbin with a mere 11dv to spare, and a living pilot (Life support) due to Laythe shaving off almost an entire day from the return.

Edited by komodo

Thanks komodo I'm assembling a gamedata folder with Alternis in it for my next playthrough. Might try it with career mode and Mulkuth's mission controller. I have one more silly inquiry. I saw that some planets are completely retextured. Duna the most. Now are these planets resurfaced as welk? Or is Duna gonna "transform" back to stock once you drop under a certain altitude? A lame concern I know, but its the little things that bug me. Granted... Duna may very well be the last place I visit in Alternis, but I suppose its the thought that counts.

Because I have this 8k Duna texture here that I've been using... And truth be told if I could id see the Alternis Duna overwritten with that HD texture just so the terrain/typography matches up.

There seems to be an issue with the SOI of Vall, and by that I mean it literally extends into Eeloo. To land I had to resort to Hyperedit to raise its orbit to something manageable.

Edited by me3

Under 2k for sure. I want to say Laythe is around 900-ish. Pol should be a bit more; 1200-1400ish (only been there once and lost the lander due to terrain map being scaled down but not the planetary mesh). This is while using Bop as a moonlet around Kerbin. If you're talking about Bop as a moonlet it's around 700-ish.

In any case, what's Delta-V to various locations like Laythe and Boplet?
Under 2k for sure. I want to say Laythe is around 900-ish. Pol should be a bit more; 1200-1400ish (only been there once and lost the lander due to terrain map being scaled down but not the planetary mesh). This is while using Bop as a moonlet around Kerbin. If you're talking about Bop as a moonlet it's around 700-ish.

Actually it's quite a lot less than that. I've calculated the optimum delta-v values to travel between any two moons in the Alternis Jool system, but in practice they seem to turn out even less than this (I expect due to some approximations not entirely holding in the small scale of the system)

From\To	Minmus	        Laythe	        Mun	        Kerbin	        Pol	        Bop
Minmus 3.24E+00 5.53E+02 9.11E+02 1.18E+03 1.46E+03 1.54E+03
Laythe 6.11E+02 5.55E+02 5.80E+02 6.37E+02 7.40E+02 7.76E+02
Mun 4.49E+02 2.37E+02 1.84E+02 2.26E+02 3.80E+02 4.44E+02
Kerbin 9.43E+02 8.76E+02 8.45E+02 8.35E+02 8.54E+02 8.68E+02
Pol 7.05E+02 5.25E+02 3.69E+02 2.09E+02 3.63E+01 7.29E+01
Bop 6.16E+02 4.83E+02 3.66E+02 2.44E+02 8.36E+01 6.32E+01

Is Nova still working on this? We haven't seen an update in two months, so I'm just wondering whether it's still ongoing. i'd sure love to see the lighting mod released, if that's still a thing...

I doubt it, he's moved on to developing a different game

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.