[0.23] Alternis Kerbol - Release thread - [v0.1, Jan. 3] (development halted)

NovaSilisko

This is an awesome mod, really enjoying working out how to set up a remotetech network over the new Jool system.

Thing is I started putting together a delta-v cheat sheet to plan out my launches and found that having so many bodies of that mass in such close proximity has really gone past the limits of the SOI system. The combination of the kerbin SOI being small compared to Kerbin but still large compared to it's distance from Jool means that it's possible to ecape Jool from a 100x100 orbit around kerbin with an 879ms^-1 burn despite the minimum value to conserve energy being 1250ms^-1.

I can't really see any way round this apart from implementing multiple influences on the spacecraft or making the system a lot bigger, the force of gravity due to the most significant celestial body simply isn't big enough compared to the second and third most significant for the SOI approximation to be valid.

On a more achievable note would it be possible for the dark side of Jool to be a bit darker when viewed from KSC? It's properly black viewed from space but at the launchpad more of a mid grey.

Later when the major bugs are fixed, could we get an option to reset Kerbin and Mun (maybe Minmus) back to stock? Rotation and Mun's distance I mean. I like having a satellite that's not too hard to get to, but Bop is just too easy.

Why am I lagging so much in Bop orbit while in ship view?

There is something wrong with bop, earlier Krag mentioned that since the planet is so small that it effects the fps of the game apparently.

I also have issues while getting close to Bop.

Is it possible to make a txt file (or point out where in the mod the info is) with update information for each body (as in sidereal days, and gravitational parameters along with scale heights and atmosphere heights)?

Edit: mod is awesome and wish to convey many thanks

It looks as if Bop switches back and forth between a more detailed and less detailed version of its model, when at a medium to far distance within Bop's SOI, which seems to cause the lag going along with it. This is with running Bop in Kerbin's SOI.

Does this mod take up alot of memory? or can it be run with other mods?

It doesn't take up that much memory, in fact some people have had a speed boost using this mod. Yes it can be run with other mods

Edited by team.leit
Misspelled word

Firstly Nova, I'd like to say how great this mod is - the icing on the cake for me is the removal of the ambient light. It feels so much more realistic and moody, plus it gives me an excuse to light up my ships with navigation lights! If you are able to release this aspect separately you will make not only myself, but many others happy I'm sure. I don't have the fastest machine but I swear you've vastly improved the frame-rate for me compared to a stock build. Bravo!

Secondly, I'm really struggling with getting my head around Tylo - can you please confirm if you've managed to land there and/or complete a return? I'd really like to see how you did it! I just sent a small X-37B - type spaceplane there. Flies great in Kerbin's atmosphere - flies like a neutronium brick on Tylo! I can't even begin to imagine what dv you would need to attain orbit - care to give us some numbers as a guideline?

Secondly, I'm really struggling with getting my head around Tylo - can you please confirm if you've managed to land there and/or complete a return? I'd really like to see how you did it! I just sent a small X-37B - type spaceplane there. Flies great in Kerbin's atmosphere - flies like a neutronium brick on Tylo! I can't even begin to imagine what dv you would need to attain orbit - care to give us some numbers as a guideline?

took about 11-12k delta-v to get into Tylo orbit from its surface. If you bring a plane you'll need to give it a lot more wings than usual since the atmosphere is thinner and the gravity is higher. I've heard rovers work really well on Tylo too.

Hi, I am trying to use this mod and I am not sure what I am doing wrong but it changes nothing. I put the right folder in gamedata, I see the menu on startup and enable the mod and click apply, but then I start a new game, and the map view and tracking station views show the same old kerbal system. No errors are displayed.
I had the same problem here, running on Linux. Looking though the log files, I found this suspicious looking line:

[EXC 22:52:45.984] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "/home/player/GameData/AlternisKerbol/PluginData/Heightmaps/tylo_newheight.png".

This is the wrong directory (the file is in the appropriate KSP_linux/GameData/... directory). Some the other textures load correctly, so it looks like the tylo_newheight.png is being loaded differently from the others, and looking at the source I see that it and some other textures are loaded with System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes. And indeed, if I run KSP directly from the KSP_linux directory, everything works. Not sure if that has anything to do with your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Well, what's different about the heightmaps is they're loaded using System.IO as opposed to GameDatabase. I guess something about that doesn't work on linux... (cttw, are you on linux too?)
Also it seems running it from the KSP_linux folder does not work for me or I am doing something subtly wrong. I start KSP with this script

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/username/games/KSP/23/KSP_linux/

./KSP.x86_64

cd -

My script is very similar (and as previopusly reported the mod works for me), so perhaps you're having a different problem. You might try looking through the KSP.log file (which should be in /home/username/games/KSP/23/KSP_linux/) and see if you see a line that looks like this:

[LOG 23:46:29.461] New tylo height loadeth

(The time will be different, the "New tylo height loadeth" is the important part.) If that's there, then you've got past the problem with the home directory and we'll have to look further. On the other hand, if you see a line with IsolatedStorageException and tylo_newheight.png like this:

[EXC 22:52:45.984] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "/home/player/GameData/AlternisKerbol/PluginData/Heightmaps/tylo_newheight.png".

Then somehow that file still isn't being found (in which case the actual path you have might be a clue.)

This is a working directory issue and a result of System.IO routing relative paths from the working directory and not the executable path. I've solved this problem by using a Gnome launcher which specifies a Path, but a more complete fix would probably be to prepend path3 with KSPUtil.ApplicationRootPath.

Awesome mod, NovaSilisko! I installed it last night and am excited to get exploring.

Nova, I have a request. If you're going to redo the easter eggs, please make them 2001-ish. So if I go to, let's say, Laythe and find a pyramid there and in it would be a map of some sort or a puzzle showing the next destination to go to. I'd like that very much.

Edited by Veeltch

Why did you do this to me Nova? Why??

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Now I need to go get him, since that capsule has 180.5 science points, not including the recovery value.

Also, I can confirm that Kerbal Alarm Clock accurately predicts the transfer windows

Edited by team.leit
Mistakes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.