[0.23] Alternis Kerbol - Release thread - [v0.1, Jan. 3] (development halted)

NovaSilisko

When you timewarp on pol under 1200m your ship explodes.

I was watching some debris falling towards Pol and they exploded for no reason at 1601m above ground... No timewarp this time.

Did anyone ever land successfully on Pol using Alternis? I suspect there's an invisible terrain covering the planet.

I was watching some debris falling towards Pol and they exploded for no reason at 1601m above ground... No timewarp this time.

Did anyone ever land successfully on Pol using Alternis? I suspect there's an invisible terrain covering the planet.

Pol has some bugs with terrain in the stock game as well.

I seem to be running into a rather odd glitch with Jool; the atmosphere is "starting" around 280 kilometers up, but it doesn't actually start to slow my craft down until exactly 200km. I don't mean that I'm just slowing down very slowly; I was going nearly twice terminal velocity at 201km, and my apoapsis was unchanged. Once I crossed that magic threshold though, my speed dropped like a rock. The rest of the craft followed shortly thereafter, but that's besides the point.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Pol has some bugs with terrain in the stock game as well.

They can't be as serious as this one...can they? Kind of pointless to visit such a planet. Dominated by unknown high tech aliens who devised an invisible energy shield about 2km above sea level (supposing there's a sea)... I'd rather try my luck with seizure planet

I seem to be running into a rather odd glitch with Jool; the atmosphere is "starting" around 280 kilometers up, but it doesn't actually start to slow my craft down until exactly 200km. I don't mean that I'm just slowing down very slowly; I was going nearly twice terminal velocity at 201km, and my apoapsis was unchanged. Once I crossed that magic threshold though, my speed dropped like a rock. The rest of the craft followed shortly thereafter, but that's besides the point.

KSP's atmospheric physics stop at 10^-6 times surface pressure. But you can set maxAtmosphereAltitude to any value. If it's above that altitude, there will be no atmosphere between the altitude where the pressure is 10^-6 times surface pressure and maxAtmosphereAltitude. So the behavior you've noticed might be a result of Nova setting Jool's maxAtmosphereAltitude too high and surface pressure too high as well. Or it might be some other bug.

I used the "search thread" function and searched for "scan". No matches. So here is my question:

Does ScanSAT actually work on these new planets? I saw it a while ago and thought thats awesome but I want to keep using my little satellites :3

Thanks in advance!

I used the "search thread" function and searched for "scan". No matches. So here is my question:

Does ScanSAT actually work on these new planets? I saw it a while ago and thought thats awesome but I want to keep using my little satellites :3

Thanks in advance!

Didn't test it. You could be the first to test and find bugs, though.

I don't really think I can do this today but I'll try.

Maybe the creator of ScanSAT is here and may answer whether its a static or dynamic plugin...

EDIT: The planets in Alternis are called the same from what I can see, right? Thats means theoreticly it should work...

Edited by Byter

KSP's atmospheric physics stop at 10^-6 times surface pressure. But you can set maxAtmosphereAltitude to any value. If it's above that altitude, there will be no atmosphere between the altitude where the pressure is 10^-6 times surface pressure and maxAtmosphereAltitude. So the behavior you've noticed might be a result of Nova setting Jool's maxAtmosphereAltitude too high and surface pressure too high as well. Or it might be some other bug.

Hmm. That's still odd that it suddenly goes from 0gs atmospheric deceleration to over 2gs...I don't suppose there's anything I can do from my end other than be very conservative with aerobraking below 200km?

I don't really think I can do this today but I'll try.

Maybe the creator of ScanSAT is here and may answer whether its a static or dynamic plugin...

EDIT: The planets in Alternis are called the same from what I can see, right? Thats means theoreticly it should work...

I've used it on Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus successfully so far. You'll want to bring a LOT of batteries for Joolian eclipses, though, or at least you will if you also have Kethane scanners going. I had a big enough field of view at around 40km with the early-career low-res scanners that losing power didn't actually interfere with my map making.

Hmm. That's still odd that it suddenly goes from 0gs atmospheric deceleration to over 2gs...I don't suppose there's anything I can do from my end other than be very conservative with aerobraking below 200km?

Yeah probably. If the surface pressure is set to 100 atmospheres, the minimum pressure will be 100 * 10^-6, or 0.0001 atmospheres. That might not seem like much, but when you're hitting it at 8 km/s it's like a brick wall.

So here's a screenshot from Gilly's surface:

CxZYYnY.png

It was incredibly hard to get an encounter since its SOI is so ridiculously small.

I've used it on Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus successfully so far. You'll want to bring a LOT of batteries for Joolian eclipses, though, or at least you will if you also have Kethane scanners going. I had a big enough field of view at around 40km with the early-career low-res scanners that losing power didn't actually interfere with my map making.

Try it on Bop, Pol, Vall or Ike. Their terrain seems screwed up and the resource grids don't match up with the planets.

Just seen gilly... Its incredible!!!!!!! but one thing: what happens if you land on it and it goes in the weird comet mode while your on it?

What you mean by "comet mode"? You just land there like any other celestial body. The sky does light up because of the dust and water vapors

I have an idea!

What do you think about random asteroid (copied gillys and bops eventualy minmuses) to be asteroids that will have inclined and elliptical orbits around sun and Jool to make big fun with asteroids!

We have comets we need asteroids

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.