[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Thanks. :)

v8.1

*Fix my stupidity; I forgot to change some of RF's own patches to account for the new resource names.

*camlost: fix tank name for new FS.

*Fix applying changes to resource amounts more than once on TweakScale rescale.

*Change FS fuselages to calculate their own basemass.

*Fix a GUI click-locking issue.

*Remove old/broken KSPI interaction config; a new one is in the works by dreadicon and Northstar1989.

I've got a theoretically working KSPI config on my dev thread (see my sig, the section for the configs near the bottom of the first post in my dev thread for now). Soon as I get someone to test it more thoroughly, I'll make a pull request to the repo with just the KSPI configs if Kell would like. Oh, they don't cover the fuel tank parts from KSPI (they only add proper tank types to the already covered tanks like Default, ServiceModule, etc.), as I was going to set up a dynamic module configuration for them which takes, like, math and thinking, and I'm kinda shot from developing the existing configs for the moment ;) Will get to them soon though!

Another thought, I have a set of universal configs as a catch-all for tanks that RealFuels misses. It should make all stock-configured tanks innately compatible with RealFuels, though the personalized touch of manual configs will likely still be better. Again check my dev thread for those. I plan to add a catch-all for engines too, but that's a bit more tricky to make 'passable', and will likely never be nearly as good as hand configs. But at least it will work xD

Thanks for what is probably my favorite mod, and congrats on the new release! I can't wait for RealHeat!

ok. What should they be using as eva prop under realfuels? I'm seeing them with an empty tank of the stock "EVA Propellant" resource.

Edit: When I remove realfuels, they get EVA fuel back. The take it from the pod's monopropellant, converting it into EVA Propellant. With realfuels installed they take nothing.

I've fixed the problem by adding 20 units of monopropellant to all the pods that have their mono replaced by hydrazine (via the Mono_to_Hydrazine.cfg). It's a dirty fix, but at least my kerbals can go eva.

Edited by Sandworm

The following assembly referenced from /opt/fast/KSP-0.25/GameData/TweakScale/TweakScaleInteraction/TweakScale_RealFuels.dll could not be loaded:
Assembly: Scale_Redist (assemblyref_index=1)
Version: 1.0.0.0
Public Key: (none)
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/opt/fast/KSP-0.25/GameData/TweakScale/TweakScaleInteraction/).

Could not load file or assembly 'Scale_Redist, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
The class RealFuels.TweakScaleModularFuelTanksUpdater could not be loaded, used in TweakScale_RealFuels, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
The class RealFuels.TweakScaleModularFuelTanksUpdater could not be loaded, used in TweakScale_RealFuels, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

Is the Tweakscale mod a prerequisite or is this merely a missing file? I grabbed Scale_redist.dll from the Tweakscale mod and these errors go away.

Just another part in NovaPunch2 that isn't configured to hold real fuels rather than LFO when RealFuels mod is installed...

bREQtak.jpg

I point this out to emphasize there are a number of parts that aren't currently configured to hold real fuels yet. Especially in NovaPunch2, but I doubt it's the only mod affected.

What are the chances somebody could do a roundup of those parts anytime soon? I wouldn't be able to do it myself, as I'm going to spend any modding time I allocate just trying to learn ModuleManager (not an easy task for me- I suck hard at coding) and working on proofreading the KSP-Interstellar integration config Dreadicon's been working on...

Regards,

Northstar

What are the chances somebody could do a roundup of those parts anytime soon?

Someone will eventually get to it. I've decided to roll an engine config and have NP2 installed, so maybe I'll do it sometime this week. No telling when that'll release, though... One thing that would be immensely helpful would be if you could make a list of parts that need to be worked on that you see.

ok. What should they be using as eva prop under realfuels? I'm seeing them with an empty tank of the stock "EVA Propellant" resource.

Edit: When I remove realfuels, they get EVA fuel back. The take it from the pod's monopropellant, converting it into EVA Propellant. With realfuels installed they take nothing.

I've fixed the problem by adding 20 units of monopropellant to all the pods that have their mono replaced by hydrazine (via the Mono_to_Hydrazine.cfg). It's a dirty fix, but at least my kerbals can go eva.

That sounds maybe like Asmi's life support mod. Doesn't it draw on MonoPropellant to supply Kerbals with EVA propellant?

One thing that would be immensely helpful would be if you could make a list of parts that need to be worked on that you see.

Can do. I'll keep posting the ones I come across (it should be easier to locate the parts if you also know their descriptions and tech nodes), and will release a list if it gets to be a lot to keep track of...

Regards,

Northstar

Question regarding adding additional tanks to the mod:

It seems that the RF method for creating a tank is to simply take the sum total of KSP resources within the tank and multiply that by five to get the end liters in the RF tank. Is that correct? I've fixed the missing NP2 tanks (but not the integrated tank/engine combos because they should be added in an engine config!) and I'm wondering how to go about adding the missing SXT tanks. Unfortunately the SXT stuff is grossly underutilized E: which is why I asked.

Edited by regex

Question regarding adding additional tanks to the mod:

It seems that the RF method for creating a tank is to simply take the sum total of KSP resources within the tank and multiply that by five to get the end liters in the RF tank. Is that correct? I've fixed the missing NP2 tanks (but not the integrated tank/engine combos because they should be added in an engine config!) and I'm wondering how to go about adding the missing SXT tanks. Unfortunately the SXT stuff is grossly underutilized E: which is why I asked.

Correct, stock volume unit x 5 = liters

And pressurized gas tanks use utilization factors higher than 1 to simulate compression.

My policy has been, if I don't care enough, to "take partmodders at their word" as to how much tank volume is available (as you speculated). If I *do* care enough, I measure with a stretchy, try to figure out the volume utilization for the shape, and then correct for something like "is it a service module with other gadgets in it."

Starwaster: that's in the TANK_DEFINITION though, not the ModuleFuelTanks module...

As CKAN will natively support github release tags, neither taniwha nor I see much point in adding .version support, and the way our build and packaging scripts work .version is a bit of a pain. You could ask AVC to support CKAN's metadata, though! :)

Just a note to anyone else missing fuel tanks (or going to correct them), I'll be adding the missing tanks (NOT combined engine/tanks!) for the following mods tonight (or tomorrow): FASA, HGR, Novepunch2, RLA Stockalike, SXT.

E: actually, now that I think about it, I can get the combined stuff too, just not the SRBs.

Edited by regex

So if I want to role-play that toxic RCS fuel could actually hurt my kerbals, then high-test peroxide is probably the best choice?

Although I note that both Apollo and the Shuttle used hydrazine in various forms, and both involved EVA crews touching things outside before reentering the spaceship and taking the suit off, and apparently people didn't get sick. How did they manage that, anyway?

Well, it's not like they deliberately float in front of the RCS nozzles and, in any case, monopropellant use is by passing it over a catalyst which causes it to break down to ammonia, hydrogen and nitrogen...

Go watch the landing video of the X37B the other day, the first contact ground crew are in full HazMat suits until they're sure there isn't a hydrazine leak. Also, check out this picture from the hydrazine wiki page that shows someone dressed in a HazMat suit fueling a probe...