The Auto-Orbiter [FULLY AUTOMATIC ORBITER. JUST HIT THE SPACEBAR!!!!]

Hey KSP People! I'm back with a somewhat weird creation: a fully automatic orbiter!

The flight instructions are simple, just Throttle up to 100%, activate SAS, and then hit the spacebar!

In a little over 4 and a half minutes you will be in LKO, with no user input needed. This design was just a proof of concept, so I didn't include a way for the pilot to get home. I might try to add that at some point.

The design is a two stage rocket, which decouples the second stage at launch but holds it in during the ascent. Shortly after the first stage cuts out, the fuel supply to the retrograde nuclear rocket will run out, allowing the prograde rocket to make the instertion burn.

Anyway,

UYR8g4E.png

03USXYp.png

BydIUeI.png

3wyIfyi.png

DBAykEE.png

xapiNtu.png

If I see enough interest I will post the .craft

EDIT: \/ CRAFT FILE \/

http://www./view/epzz9j58azmz0e9/Auto%20Orbiter.craft

Edited by Jamie Logan
Craft file added

Does the prograde nuke burn itself out when insertion is complete? Looks like it does. Wow, this is too perfect. It's an instant PRESS-2-SPACE launcher, that works! Proof that boredom + KSP = amazing/crazy things, that may or may not result in kerbal return.

EDIT: removed a derp comment.

You know this could open up a whole new series of space bar only spacecraft. Hmm... Noob Rockets. I like.

Challenge: Noob Rocket to Duna.

Goal using only good timing and the spacebar, land a Kerbal on Duna.

I've made self orbiting rockets before; but they were basically a little top heavy and ultimately the balance would shift enough to allow an orbit to occur. However, there was no control of the ultimate inclination, orbital shape or altitude range. Nice work, Jamie!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 1/1/2014 at 10:57 AM, Jamie Logan said:

Hey KSP People! I'm back with a somewhat weird creation: a fully automatic orbiter!

The flight instructions are simple, just Throttle up to 100%, activate SAS, and then hit the spacebar!

In a little over 4 and a half minutes you will be in LKO, with no user input needed. This design was just a proof of concept, so I didn't include a way for the pilot to get home. I might try to add that at some point.

The design is a two stage rocket, which decouples the second stage at launch but holds it in during the ascent. Shortly after the first stage cuts out, the fuel supply to the retrograde nuclear rocket will run out, allowing the prograde rocket to make the instertion burn.

Anyway,

UYR8g4E.png

03USXYp.png

BydIUeI.png

3wyIfyi.png

DBAykEE.png

xapiNtu.png

If I see enough interest I will post the .craft

EDIT: \/ CRAFT FILE \/

http://www./view/epzz9j58azmz0e9/Auto%20Orbiter.craft

Umm? WWW.?

Sadly, this is an old thread, some of those parts are no longer in the game, and OP does not seem to visit the forum anymore. The thread will now be closed to prevent confusion with current game mechanics.