[1.2] TweakableEverything 1.16-beta - For all your part tweaking needs

toadicus

I just started using this and it's brilliant! I would like to be able to toggle engine fairings from stock and KW/AIES so that when they're in a fairing or using the Mercury Stack Clamp from FASA they aren't covered. Any chance of that being added?

As luck would have it, I just did that this weekend.

TweakableEverything4.png

Release is coming soon!

Edited by toadicus

I noticed a minor bug with the new decoupler toggle. I was trying out a LEM tower that had a builtin decoupler and both the decoupler and solid engines were intended to be triggered by staging. If I used the decoupler toggle then the staging icon would disappear but the solid engines would still fire off when that stage was hit. It might be best to make sure the toggle is only shown for parts with only a decoupler triggered on staging.

I noticed a minor bug with the new decoupler toggle. I was trying out a LEM tower that had a builtin decoupler and both the decoupler and solid engines were intended to be triggered by staging. If I used the decoupler toggle then the staging icon would disappear but the solid engines would still fire off when that stage was hit. It might be best to make sure the toggle is only shown for parts with only a decoupler triggered on staging.

Arrowmaster, were you expecting that by removing the decoupler from staging, the boosters would also be removed? At present that is not the case at all, and it would be rather difficult to make things work that way. It's not a "stage disabler", to make an entire stage wait for an action group or similar; it only removes the decoupler itself from the staging list.

It's possible I could add a staging disable for engines as well, if that's something we think would be desirable.

Maybe it's something small but i have a small request: can you add a decoupler feature to docking ports?

Because wit the added LES system we are now able to abort missions but we have to assign it to a action group with the docking port.

Maybe it's something small but i have a small request: can you add a decoupler feature to docking ports?

Because wit the added LES system we are now able to abort missions but we have to assign it to a action group with the docking port.

To be sure I'm understanding the request correctly: you would like to see docking ports in the staging list as a decoupler, so that during a non-emergency ascent the LES can be ejected by a spacebar press instead of an action group press.

Assuming that's correct, the answer is maybe. I can imagine a way to do it, but I'll have to do some tinkering to make sure it doesn't hose up the functionality of the docking port. Consider it on the "to do" list.

By the way folks, my testing last night uncovered no incompatibilities with 0.23.5, but I'm going to wait a couple of days for bug reports from you'uns before I officially change the version string.

I added decoupling functionality to my crew pods instead

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68071-0-23-Self-decoupling-Crew-Pods

and this KSPer used the same method to get rid of the LES if no longer needed

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74634-Tower-jettison

Arrowmaster, were you expecting that by removing the decoupler from staging, the boosters would also be removed? At present that is not the case at all, and it would be rather difficult to make things work that way. It's not a "stage disabler", to make an entire stage wait for an action group or similar; it only removes the decoupler itself from the staging list.

It's possible I could add a staging disable for engines as well, if that's something we think would be desirable.

I was expecting it to either disable the entire part or not remove the icon from staging. The behavior of removing the icon while the part is still going to activate is undesirable. Its probably best to just disable that feature for any parts that have more actions than just decoupling on staging, such as if they have an engine module.

I added decoupling functionality to my crew pods instead

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68071-0-23-Self-decoupling-Crew-Pods

and this KSPer used the same method to get rid of the LES if no longer needed

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74634-Tower-jettison

I found that post with the LES later on, but if i may, i wanna suggest that the devs implify this as well.

I was expecting it to either disable the entire part or not remove the icon from staging. The behavior of removing the icon while the part is still going to activate is undesirable. Its probably best to just disable that feature for any parts that have more actions than just decoupling on staging, such as if they have an engine module.

Oh, I see what you're getting at. Somehow I got it in my head that you were building an escape tower out of decouplers and separatrons or something, not that the two modules were on the same part.

Can you point me to the part in question? My (admittedly limited) understanding of how the staging icon system works does not explain how a part could be removed but still activated on staging, unless it's using a plugin to give it a second entry in the staging list, so I'd like to educate myself and also see if detecting such is in the scope of this mod. In the meantime, you can exclude that part from TweakableDecouplers by adding something like this to TweakableDecouplers.cfg:

@PART[<yourPartNameHere>]:Final
{
!MODULE[ModuleTweakableDecouple] {}
}

On the LES matter: I have successfully added decoupler staging functionality to docking ports. If you'd like to help test that, grab this .dll and let me know how it goes.

TweakableEverything has been updated to version 0.6.6! This update adds a toggle for engine auto-shrouds and an optional staging entry for the docking port decoupler action. It's also still just as compatible with 0.23.5 as the last version!

CHANGELOG:

v.0.6.6 [2014-04-04]
* Added TweakableEngineFarings! Now you can disable autoshrouds for engines as you see fit.
* TweakableDockingNode: Added Decoupler Staging toggle. This tweak allows you to active the "Decouple Node" action of a docking node via staging, which should be useful in disengaging LES towers during a successful ascent.

Bonus Features: Docking port "Control from here" now available for use in action groups.
What is happened if I load craft with assigned "Control from here" in actions group in completely stock games? Will it work or not?

P.S. Many thanks to you for this very usefull mod, you will save hours of my life :)

What is happened if I load craft with assigned "Control from here" in actions group in completely stock games? Will it work or not?

P.S. Many thanks to you for this very usefull mod, you will save hours of my life :)

Assuming you had it installed previously in order to assign the action, but then uninstalled the mod and loaded up the craft: I'm not 100% sure what all would happen, but I do know for certain that it wouldn't "control from here" when you pressed the action group. My hunch is that it would fail quietly enough that nothing bad would happen. But, I don't know exactly how actions are read in from the save file or what sort of protections are in place when the module they need is missing; it could go as wrong as failing the load halfway through your ship and loading up a partial craft and then autosaving over your persistence file.

My advice? Make a backup of your save, then see what happens! It's the Kerbal way! ;)

I got a weird bug with the latest version that may possibly be a conflict with another mod... When I dock or re-dock two or more vessels all of my docking ports are shown up on the staging system on the left with the de-coupler symbol. Then I'm unable to dock with them. Removed Tweakable folder problem disappears.

A small request - could you put the current version number in the title? Makes it easier to see if there is an update. Excellent mod btw!

Done.

Another, perhaps not so small request. Any chance you could add the "Control from Here" control group function to command modules and the new ARM Claw? It's so super useful for docking ports. Thanks! :)
Could you make the CLAW be able to open in the VAB, along with free hinge? I got some... ideas.
Oh God Yes. I don't need Free Hinge but if you could open the claw and the attach something to it... The possibilities!

I can definitely do the action group item, and can almost certainly allow you to tweak the claw opened and closed in the editor. I'm not sure about adding an attachment node as I have with the shielded docking ports: for docking ports, Squad's code already assumes that docking ports should be able to "start docked", and has a special provision built into the state machine to handle such an eventuality. If that's not the case for Tʜᴇ Cʟᴀᴡ, then anything I could do would be contrived and hacky, so I probably wouldn't release it. I'll look into it, though.

Was the RGB slider for the stock lamps your idea or Squad's, toadicus? It's a great feature.
Thats stock. And yeah its a great little addition almost nobody has noticed.

Arrowmaster has the right of it; no credit here. Definitely a cool feature though!

If I use this mod to say, get rid of that nasty NERVA casing in the VAB, will any users I share it with need this mod?

So, I'm still not 100% clear on what happens when Squad's code loads a part with a module it can't find, but I believe it fails fairly nicely. So, while I don't think your craft would fail to load on a stock install, the fairings would likely still exist. To my understanding of the way KSPFields work, there's no way around it in this case.

I got a weird bug with the latest version that may possibly be a conflict with another mod... When I dock or re-dock two or more vessels all of my docking ports are shown up on the staging system on the left with the de-coupler symbol. Then I'm unable to dock with them. Removed Tweakable folder problem disappears.

Well... that's not OK. I'll look in to it. If you can get me your debug log (Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux (& Mac?): ~/.unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log) after a run of the game that exhibits the problem, that would help me target my testing.