[WIP] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts - V0.8.2 (7/17/2014)

DMagic

Maybe retexture the RPWS and telescope to fit with the stock game better, but apart from that these parts are really awesome!

Thanks. The RPWS and the telescope are due for a remodel and retexture, which I probably won't get to before the next update. I also plan on updating the textures for the laser and magnetometer to bring them up to the same, not-total-crap level as the drill, those I might be able to get to relatively soon.

Bug report...

There is a typo in part.cfg for Magnetometer:

dataIsCollectible instead of dataIsCollectable.

This prevents EVA sample retrieval.

Thanks for that. I figured there were a few of these kinds of bugs scattered around. I'll do a more thorough check before I release the next update.

Thanks for this mod. Could you maybe change the telescope for people who'd like to put it inside a 1m S6 Service compartment? (Nevermind, I'll just use the custom cfg for a larger tube)

Also it seems a little heavy compared to everything else. And also the laser is a bit awkward radially.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

The magnetometer has a button "Check Biome". What does that do? Nothing is happening for me.

Fabian

That seems to have slipped in from when I was trying to figure out how to determine which biome you're in. I guess I never removed it.

It doesn't really do anything, you can open the debug window (alt F2) and it should print out the name of the biome you're in, but other than that it's harmless.

I'll make sure to check over the plugin modules and .cfg files for everything more carefully next time.

Thanks for this mod. Could you maybe change the telescope for people who'd like to put it inside a 1m S6 Service compartment? (Nevermind, I'll just use the custom cfg for a larger tube)

Also it seems a little heavy compared to everything else. And also the laser is a bit awkward radially.

That's actually a good idea to keep in mind Cpt. Kipard. All of the other parts are relatively small and should have no problem fitting (I assume you just need to add some KAS code to the .cfg if you want to move them around) or being move around. I'll keep that in mind when I redo that model; I'll rethink the mass, too, especially if I make it smaller.

By awkward do you mean the way the laser has a tendency to shoot through whatever is below what it's attached to? My plan is to add an orientation check similar to what I have with the drill and play a different animation to avoid that issue, I only need to make a new animation for it (animating those power cables takes forever, so I've been avoiding it).

I'd like to find a smarter way of doing it though, preferably one that detects which direction the ground is relative to the part. And eventually I want to add some kind of detection to check that the laser/drill is actually contacting the ground when it's deployed, but I want to make sure I have a reliable way to play the animation first.

I like the existing textures on the Magnetic Boom and the RPWS. What are you thinking of changing them to?

I've already made a new magnetometer texture, it's basically the same, it just has more detail, better normals, and specular textures that actually make sense. It looks fairly similar to what the drill looks like now, but all of the features are basically the same as before - the blue stripes, the panels, and the details on the instruments themselves are all still there.

The RPWS I'm not really satisfied with at all. I haven't started working on it, but I plan on completely rethinking the model (it's mostly that green panel and the grey blocks that I don't like, but the whole thing could really use work). It will still be about the same size, and I expect the texture will end up looking similar to the current one, but we'll have to wait and see.

Here's a look at the new texture, on the right. It's about the same, it's mainly the metal borders and the bumpy normals that have changed. I want all of my parts to share a similar style, and the drill texture is good enough for me, so I'll be updating all of the old ones to look more or less like that. I should be able to get to the laser before the next update too.

QZUerQx.jpg

Edited by DMagic

@Kiwiak: this is adressed in OP i think

This retexturing looks great! Could you show us what you come up with for the RPWS antenna when you'r done? Its the only one i'm reluctant to use due to its look ^^

Edit: also, will this new update break compatibility? I'm about to lauch a big mission to Moho too

Edited by Initar

I use both dmagic pack and interstellar - both has magnetomer sensors.

How about some integration?

As for any real integration I can't really do that, it's all controlled by the interstellar plugin. What you can do, though, is copy the MODULE {name = DTMagnetometer } code from the interstellar magnetometer's .cfg file and put it in mine, then where it says "animname = ", replace whatever is there with "animname = magBoom". You can either delete my own module or try to use both, I'm not sure what will happen. But this should make my magnetometer function like the interstellar version (with all of the oddities in the animation, unless that's been fixed). You might also want to change the "name = " line at the top of the .cfg file so that you don't have any conflict with existing parts.

This retexturing looks great! Could you show us what you come up with for the RPWS antenna when you'r done? Its the only one i'm reluctant to use due to its look ^^

Edit: also, will this new update break compatibility? I'm about to lauch a big mission to Moho too

Thanks. I haven't really started working on, or even thinking much, about the RPWS. I probably won't get to it for a while, and the next update (after the one I will release in a week or so) might not come until we get to 0.24.

I think I'm done with any compatibility breaking updates, at the worst you might need to go back to the R&D center and repurchase a part from an already researched tech node. I'm not entirely sure what causes that to happen, so it's hard to control for. But the part names will all remain unchanged and the size of any new models will be about the same, a bit smaller maybe, but definitely not bigger.

The next update is nearing completion. It's mostly ready, there are just some nagging issues that keep popping up with the transmitter and science lab interaction. Any functions that go through the transmitter or the lab, and not the part itself are a little tricky to deal with.

On the plus side, though, I've found out something very interesting about how the transmitter works. When you right click on the transmitter to send your data (instead of going through the results page) it calls the DumpData() method from the part's module. Which is great because it means I can fully control what happens when you send data that way; I can prevent exploits and run whatever code I need through both forms of transmission. Now if I could just find a way to access the science lab's cleanExperiment function I would be set, but I might have to settle for manually resetting experiments.

I've also been working on a generic replacement plugin for my first four parts. Instead of relying on four fairly similar plugins I want to create one plugin that only needs to be configured through the part.cfg file and can handle several different animation situations and other limitations. I have it mostly working, it's just those science lab and transmitter problems again. When I get it to a more completed state I plan on releasing it for anyone else to use. There are quite a few animated science mod parts that don't work well with the default ModuleScienceExperiment and ModuleAnimateGeneric. Using those modules can cause parts to stay in the deployed state longer than you want them to, or to play the reverse animation when you don't want them to. There are a few other issues with those modules that I can hopefully work around.

All of the other work on my new part is completed, and I've retextured the magnetometer and laser to better fit in with my newer parts. I've also fixed the bugs that somehow snuck into some of the .cfg files between 0.5 and 0.6, I don't know how they got in there, but they shouldn't be a problem anymore. The RPWS and telescope will have to wait for another update before they get any love, both need new models and textures.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Hi, I can't somehow pick up the magnetometer data. Is there a special trick required or is it simply deactivated?

That seems to have slipped in from when I was trying to figure out how to determine which biome you're in. I guess I never removed it.[...]

Ah okay. Would be nice to have a part which actually tells you the current biome.

Fabian

Hi, I can't somehow pick up the magnetometer data. Is there a special trick required or is it simply deactivated?

Do you mean during EVA? A bug snuck in between the last two updates that broke EVA data collection for the magnetometer. It's just a misspelling in the part.cfg file (where it says "dataIsCollectible", it should say "dataIsCollectable"). I fixed that for the next update as well as all of the other .cfg file bugs that snuck in.

Ah okay. Would be nice to have a part which actually tells you the current biome.

Fabian

That's actually a pretty good idea, though something other than a right-click button would probably be best. Trueborn's Custom Biomes plugin comes with a little map that tells you which biome you're currently in (biome edges are fuzzy though, and will return the wrong area).

The update is almost ready. I only need to finish writing the new science reports and do a little more testing. I also need to give the existing parts a through check to make sure nothing else breaks like last time.

Update to V0.7

Download on Spaceport

42F97lE.jpg

New science part added:

Anomalous Signal Scanner

This scanner is designed to locate and study anomalies from the surface or while flying low above them. It has a maximum detection range of 30km, which falls off with height above the anomaly. Indications are given for distance and direction to the anomaly (exact values are printed in the debug window). Within about 10km a separate camera module deploys, this will rotate about its z-axis to look at the anomaly (this works best mounted parallel to the surface of the planet, on a rover or plane), and an indicator light turns on when the anomaly is within scanning range.

For full science value make repeated observations of the anomaly and return the scanner to Kerbin for detailed analysis. Reports cannot be transferred out of the scanner, it must be returned to Kerbin to study the anomalies' effects on it. Results can however be transmitted for 50% value, or 75% with lab analysis. The scanner can be reset at an operational science lab after transmission.

I made new science reports for all anomalies (only the real ones, with PQSCity transforms). I haven't tested every anomaly, but you should be able to get within scanning range for all of them, even if they are underground.

There are new textures for the magnetometer and laser, both now resemble the drill and anomaly scanner a little more closely. The RPWS and telescope will have to wait for another update to get new textures and new models.

I also made several bug fixes to existing parts. The magnetometer data can now be collected on EVA, and the non-functional right-click button has been removed. The laser description was fixed and the part was moved back to its proper tech node. This will require a repurchase in the R&D center (and may make the part unavailable if you haven't progressed far enough), but won't affect any existing crafts.

I'll also be releasing, hopefully in a day or so, a prototype of my new ModuleScienceAnimate plugin. It's meant to replace most of my current modules and act as a generic science module with better animation controls (replacing the stock ModuleScienceExperiment and ModuleAnimateGeneric modules). Everything will be configurable through the part.cfg file only, so anyone will be able to use it. I'll add a link here when I release that (source is available on my GitHub repository now).

Check the first post of this thread for a full preview gallery of the update.

Change Log:

v0.7:
- New anomalous signal scanner. Designed for rovers and spaceplanes.
- Used to detect and study anomalies.
- Single use only; return to Kerbin for complete study of the science report, or transmit and reset with science lab.
- New textures for the magnetometer and laser; they fit in better with the recent parts.
- Fixed .cfg file and plugin bugs for the laser and magnetometer
- Laser returned to its proper tech node - will require repurchase, but should not affect existing vessels.
- A few minor changes in other part.cfg files; dropped the mass of the telescope.
- New science reports for the anomaly scanner, fixed many typos in old reports.

v0.6:
- New biological activity core drill. Designed for rovers and landers.
- Features multiple storage containers.
- Can be used up to six times before needing to be returned to Kerbin or reset with a science lab.
- Two different animation modes, used for rovers or landers. Animation dependent on the drill's orientation relative to its parent part - preview animation in the VAB/SPH - use cubic octagonal struts or other small parts to modify animation behavior.
- New science reports for core drill.
- Included support for Trueborn's Custom Biomes plugin. * Requires separate download
- Reports for custom biomes for the laser, optical telescope and core drill.
- Reduced values for some science experiments.

v0.5:
- New surface scanning laser instrument. Designed for rovers and landers.
- Changes in magnetometer and telescope part names to address compatibility issues with other mods (will not be backward compatible without manually changing the names or installing the alternate part folder). Re-purchasing parts in the R&D center is required.
- New model for magnetometer, includes added details to the instruments themselves, cleaner animation, and lower RAM usage due to more efficient use of textures.
- Custom part modules for all parts to address animation and science collection issues:
- Magnetometer and RPWS animations are fully reversible while playing, animation speed for these parts is increased as well.
- Deployed previews are available in the VAB/SPH for all parts
- Attempts to collect science where not possible will trigger a message with suggestions about where to use the instrument; will not play the deploy animation if the part is in the retracted position.
- Transmitting or resetting the instrument will not trigger the retract animation.
- Repeatedly pushing the collect data button/action group will not spam multiple results.
- The laser has only a single, forward animation. Data is collected midway through the animation.
- Edited existing science reports, and added several more. Added full set of surface reports for the laser.

v0.4:
- New textures for all parts.
- Changed non-SCANsat telescope to be the default, for the SCANsat version replace the default scope folder with the alternate folder.
- Tweaks to models and animations for the magnetometer and telescope.
- Add Langmuir probe to RPWS model (should not break existing crafts).
- Added surface reports for the magnetometer, including biome support where available.
- Added biome support for non-SCANsat telescope in low orbit.
- Rearranged tech tree placement; parts moved to earlier nodes.
- Decreased science report values, added and edited science reports.
- Added FxModule to part.cfg to force deployment before science reports can be collected.

v0.3: Initial upload.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm interested in getting this mod for my next campaign playthrough, but I'm worried that it will allow me to collect too much science and complete the tech tree too quickly

The current science system is a diarrhoeic mess. I wouldn't take career too seriously at the moment. Even with vanilla you can get thousands of points in a single mission if you plan it right.

The current science system is a diarrhoeic mess. I wouldn't take career too seriously at the moment. Even with vanilla you can get thousands of points in a single mission if you plan it right.

I propose that "diarrhoeic" be the word of the day, even if the forum doesn't think it's a real word. :wink:

But I agree, I'm not too worried about balance at this point, though if you really want to you could just delete some of the stock science parts, maybe the seismometer thing and the accelerometer, some of those have really high science values.

And I'm always interested in new part ideas, I can't promise I'll ever get to them, but I'm open to suggestions. I have several already, which I don't know when or if I'll get to, but there's no rush.

Speaking of new part ideas, take a look at this and tell me it's not the most Kerbal telescope design ever conceived. Check out the video to get the full effect: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/?id=1284

starshade20140320-640.jpg

Edited by DMagic

I propose that "diarrhoeic" be the word of the day, even if the forum doesn't think it's a real word. :wink:

I had to check it in the dictionary :) it's a real word apparently.

Speaking of new part ideas, take a look at this and tell me it's not the most Kerbal telescope design ever conceived. Check out the video to get the full effect: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/?id=1284

That's pretty cool. I can't imagine how you'd animate that. It looks pretty intricate.

And I'm always interested in new part ideas, I can't promise I'll ever get to them, but I'm open to suggestions. I have several already, which I don't know when or if I'll get to, but there's no rush.

Well I had this idea for a 2.5m rack that holds 4 radially attachable materials experiments. The experiments would be basically wedge shaped. It's just a bit awkward trying to attach the existing 1.25m materials bay to larger rockets. Here's a quick mock-up.

tMN4hLA.png

I thought of doing it myself, but since you've got all these experiments I thought I'd run it by you.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

How I'm not very good at modelling, but I'm locking for a stackable version of the Mystery Goo Container. Currently it simply looks awful when you have something sticking out. And you need at least two to make it balanced (or at least to look balanced).

Fabian

• 2 weeks later...
DMagic, have you given any thought to my idea? If you're not interested then I'll happily make it myself.

I have considered maybe making stock science parts that could fit in the Universal Storage parts, but I'm kind of waiting to see what happens with that project. But it's not likely that anything will get done soon regardless of what happens with that project, as I have a few parts that I've started working on already and I'm mostly focused on the plugin right now.

How I'm not very good at modelling, but I'm locking for a stackable version of the Mystery Goo Container. Currently it simply looks awful when you have something sticking out. And you need at least two to make it balanced (or at least to look balanced).

Fabian

I think that I've seen a stackable goo container somewhere, maybe I'm just imagining it, but I thought someone made one. There is at least the smaller goo and materials bay parts made by Sethnizzle.

Edited by DMagic

I have considered maybe making stock science parts that could fit in the Universal Storage parts, but I'm kind of waiting to see what happens with that project. But it's not likely that anything will get done soon regardless of what happens with that project, as I have a few parts that I've started working on already and I'm mostly focused on the plugin right now.

Science parts fitting into universal storage container is GREAT idea.

By the way, what new parts are you working on?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.