Copernicus MTV components

Starwaster

Should I keep the carbon fiber look on the truss? (see pictures before voting)  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should I keep the carbon fiber look on the truss? (see pictures before voting)

• Yes, carbon fiber is cool.
    • Yes, but make it darker.
    • No, I don't like the way that looks.
    • What carbon fiber? (you DID zoom in on the pictures didn't you???)
    • Other (post a suggestion)

Dude this is just too good! I love the look of this pack, is awesome! If i can make a suggestion, you shouldm re-do the tanks texture, making them a little less yellow and doing a "scaled down" bump map. Otherwise, this is absolutely awesome, when we will have a download link?

Dude this is just too good! I love the look of this pack, is awesome! If i can make a suggestion, you shouldm re-do the tanks texture, making them a little less yellow and doing a "scaled down" bump map. Otherwise, this is absolutely awesome, when we will have a download link?

The textures on the tanks is meant to look like the 'gold foil'-like insulation that NASA uses in space. It's called multilayer insulation or MLI for short. It looks a lot like gold and is very reflective. It is still being tweaked.

I can't say for sure when I'll make it available for download. I still have to do a proper drop tank mesh. What you see is just a standin. The truss was the main hurdle in modeling and that's behind me.

To do:

Finish testing to make sure there aren't weird collision body issues or intersection issues that make the whole thing want to come apart. Last night, towards that end, I uninstalled KJR to make sure it stays stable. There's still some odd phantom forces that killed all my Kerbals. I left it orbiting Kerbin last night and when I came back the Mk1-2 CM that had been docked had broken loose and I had a message that the crews had all died from 18g of acceleration. Something had set it spinning violently enough to register 18g?

That doesn't happen unless my SDHI crew vehicle is docked. So that put a damper on things.

So what I'm saying is I need to make sure the assembled craft stays stable and also the one I've shown you guys is really big for stock so there needs to be a stock sized version available at release time too. (Not for stability, just because not everyone uses RF or RSS.

New drop tank mesh and tweaked the texture a bit but I don't like it. Looks less like foil insulation now. Maybe if I darken the base color but increase specular and falloff (which will be more gold)?

cllLZbFl.png

Edited by Starwaster

Tonight I successfully re-docked the drop tank after jettisoning it. This was ma possible because both the long saddle truss and the drop tank itself contain docking ports. They will only dock with each other, nothing else. It was fairly difficult because the tank itself is unpowered, uncontrolled and will spin if you smack it. The docking was performed by MechJeb2. So, Copernicus has gained some re-use capability now. A tank could be sent up, preferably with a tug attached, which would make it much easier than the way I did it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

New drop tank mesh and tweaked the texture a bit but I don't like it. Looks less like foil insulation now. Maybe if I darken the base color but increase specular and falloff (which will be more gold)?

Meh. I honestly liked for first version. The shiny gold carbon fiber. I thought that the was awesome.

EDIT: Wow, excuse me and disregard this post, I

Just went full stupididy.

Edited by likke_A_boss

Meh. I honestly liked for first version. The shiny gold carbon fiber. I thought that the was awesome.

Uhm the carbon fiber is on the truss and its still ther. The

The tank is the same texture just a little darker and some different rim lighting and secularity.

Some new tank normal maps I'm trying out. I really like the first one but it looks like it's more at home on a much smaller tank than something that's 10m x 22m and it doesn't scale down very nicely :(

The last three are courtesy of Porkjet btw. One's more sharp edged than I think I'm looking for. Another is rounder and more subtler... the third is also kind of sharp but might revisit it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Starwaster

Of the 5 images above, I think the middle, or third one, looks the most accurate and realistic. Second choice would be the fifth/last, but the 'crinkles' look to be scaled a bit too large for a tank of this size. So yeah, I vote #3.

My $0.02. :)

I quite like 4, with the nice small wrinkles. I think the smaller wrinkles are more realistic on such a huge object because you know, the MLI will be glued down or whatever as much as possible. I'd say 3 is a close second.

Actually might not be glued down... or at least not to the tank itself. They'd likely have spacers to keep as much of it out of contact with the tank as possible.

Or, maybe not since they would be planning on active refrigeration for ZBO. I dunno.

One thing I'm finding is that the ones that look nice in Unity's editor don't always look so nice in KSP. So I need to get each one in there and give it some 1 on 1 time with Jeb on EVA. (ultimately, you have to understand that the final decision is in Jeb's hands, not yours or mine)

I keep checking here every few hours to see if you've released it yet, I can't wait. :P

Sorry but it's going to be quite a bit longer than 'hours'. :wink:

I can't commit to a specific time period (needless to say) but hopefully not too long.

But, this is what I'm thinking of doing.

An initial pack release of:

2x saddle trusses (1 x full length + 1 half length)

1x Ring Adapter to fit fuel tanks. This part has built-in battery power and is a command part. Has an attachment point for docking rings.

1x drop tank scaled to fit the full length truss. (both fuel tank and truss will have built-in docking port so you could refit a tank to the truss. specifics TBD but likely left up to the individual as to how or if they do that)

1x male docking ring

1x female docking ring

1x hab adapter to fit either end of either trusses. The adapter would take the place of a docking ring and provide two attachment points. One outside the truss (i.e. an inflatable hab) and the other inside the truss. (for logistics or as a docking garage)

A set of optional config files for ModuleManager to tweak other parts that might be useful with the truss.

The pack would come in at least two flavors, one scaled more or less to stock and the other scaled to Real Solar System. (this would offer a config that rescales the hab. This is what you see in the screenshots I've posted. The hab is double sized)

The hab adapter will also have 4 attachment surfaces for solar panels if desired.

Progress: All meshes for the above are done. Some need some fixing up, like bad polygons need fixing and UV maps for some need reworking because I really did not know what I was doing with the UV maps when I started. Especially the docking rings, which I want to do some minor tweaking of the model and some texturing of.

Fuel tank needs a collision mesh.