The KSC... is real?

Starwhip

I realized right off that Kerbin's KSC was modeled on Earth's KSC. But seeing that pic, and the fact that Kerbal SC also has a crawlerway, made me think that maybe the devs plan on giving us a MLP (Mobile Launch Platform) to drive at some point. You think it's challenging to get some massive rockets off the pad? Try getting it TO the pad!

Side note: the real KSC has so much interior volume that rain clouds could form inside if the air conditioning failed for too long.

In fact, I think, this picture is not of a functioning VAB at all. Looks more like a museum.

Far as I remember, actual VABs have straight (or with generous curves) paths to launchpads. One cannot really turn stuff on a dime, when the transporter and the thing itself weighs many dozens of tons.

And actually we had this clamp ...

until it turned out that the clamp looked nice, but caused much of problems with wide rockets.

I guess you can still find the versions soemwhere, where the launchclamp was part of the launchpad (around V. 0.13 - 0.15)

In fact, I think, this picture is not of a functioning VAB at all. Looks more like a museum.

Nope, that's the real thing.

Far as I remember, actual VABs have straight (or with generous curves) paths to launchpads. One cannot really turn stuff on a dime, when the transporter and the thing itself weighs many dozens of tons.

The roads to the pads are largely straight, with some turns. Those crawlers are tracked vehicles; they can spin around in place if they need to. (Slowly, of course.)

As one who has been to the Kennedy Space Center multiple times (simple joy of living in Florida), yes that one in the pic is the real deal. And it is pretty darn big.

I knew I couldn't be the only one. Why can't our VAB be that big? Or have multiple bays?

Sidenote: I have several old STS mission patches laying around somewhere. Perk of having a grandfather who worked on both the Saturn V's and the space shuttles.

Yes I remember the tower....I also remember making rockets too big and having them clip into the tower. Maybe its for the best

Ahh, that brings back such memories of moving rockets so that they wouldn't hit the launch tower. And other ones of moving the rocket so much that it actually fell off the launch pad. All in all, I'd say the lack of the launch tower is a good thing, but it does make launches a little less spectacular.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.