[WIP][0.90?] PlanetFactory CE

Kragrathea

You would post it in the same forum that every other mod is released under and the same one the other planet packs were released under, the add-on releases forum. Also no you don't need permission, you're just sharing your own planets.

Hi there !

Thanks Krag for this awesome pack ! I'm wondering: I've your pack installed, but my sciences archives are broken (none appears). Any idea how I can solve?

Thanks !

Its a known Bug there is Currently no fix

Now, I got some new textures fresh out of SE, and the log still says:

Error updating planet Icy

Exception:Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Stack: at PQSMod_VertexPlanet.OnSetup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.Mod_OnSetup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.SetupMods () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.StartSphere (Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.RebuildSphere () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.LoadPQS (System.String bodyName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory+PFBody.UpdateBody () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.OnPSystemReady () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I know I already posted this, but everyone seemed to ignore me.

On linux the logo doesn't load at the start of the game because of a mismatch in capitals in the filename. I don't yet know if this has effect elsewhere.

Edit: Also doesn't seem to work with FAR

Is this the only problem on Linux? And what is FAR and how does it fail?

Does this mod work with the Science Archives?

How EXACTLY does it not work? There is no Science on any of the planets and I have no idea how to add it. Unless it actually breaks something it is not a priority.

Krag my planet pack is almost done what sub forum should i submit it to and do i need permission from you? I will give full credit to you

Go for it. Addon forums seems to be the place everyone else is using.

Now, I got some new textures fresh out of SE, and the log still says:

Error updating planet Icy

Exception:Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Stack: at PQSMod_VertexPlanet.OnSetup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.Mod_OnSetup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.SetupMods () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.StartSphere (Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.RebuildSphere () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.LoadPQS (System.String bodyName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory+PFBody.UpdateBody () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.OnPSystemReady () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I know I already posted this, but everyone seemed to ignore me.

No one else seems to have this problem. Most of the planets in PF were made from exported SE textures. You must be exporting them wrong. Compare whatever you get out of SE to existing textures.

Is there anyway to put back the alt timewarp limit? It has killed 100s of my ships because I accidently over-warp. Frankly, I would rather have that barrier than the planets.

Ctrl-U will toggle UltraWarp or shut it off in PlanetFactory.cfg. How did you manage to destroy a ship? It shuts off below 18000000000m.

RE:Atmosphere

Most of it is not yet exposed in CFG. You could use RSS until it is. One parameter that does work is atmosphericAmbientColor in CelestialBody

CelestialBody{
atmosphericAmbientColor=1.0,0.5,0.1,1.0
}

Edited by Kragrathea

How EXACTLY does it not work? There is no Science on any of the planets and I have no idea how to add it. Unless it actually breaks something it is not a priority.

On career mode, the science archives screen will not show any science experiments, even those for stock planets. It's not really that big of a deal but it is a bug (been there since the first instance of Planet Factory). You can still play career mode (I was playing it for a while the past week), you just won't be able to see what experiments you've done already. Basically it will be like career mode before they introduced the Science Archives screen in 0.22(or was it 0.23?).

If anyone wants to put in science values for the planets it would be something like this:

CelestialBodyScienceParams
{
flyingAltitudeThreshold = 27000
spaceAltitudeThreshold = 2000000
FlyingHighDataValue = 1
FlyingLowDataValue = 1
}

I haven't tried it yet though so I don't know if it works.

Krag I was wondering if you could answer a question I had about how you did VoronoiCraters. You specified keys for the crater and jitter curve and while I understand what the keys do in this context (form the shape) I'm unsure of how you managed to come up with the key numbers. The numbers look too precise to have been pure trial and error.

Krag I was wondering if you could answer a question I had about how you did VoronoiCraters. You specified keys for the crater and jitter curve and while I understand what the keys do in this context (form the shape) I'm unsure of how you managed to come up with the key numbers. The numbers look too precise to have been pure trial and error.

Those are the curves used by the Mun. They looked good so I haven't tried changing them.

I have been working an a GUI for editing planets in game, so far it can: Give any planet atmosphere effects, and colour them freely, give any planet an ocean, modify all existing PQSMods, update a scaledspace model, and save to a file.

A34886A582EAE0A1AC70D30E471B8AFC25C4F8399230E58089DF19461AA072C449711BACB3281E03C17BB721470A9F3771BF71BB6C4033A5679CD266

(Is there a way of shrinking images?)

once I separate the code from my test plugin, and get Krags permission, as it uses copy+pasted PlanetFactory utility's. I might upload it for easy planet building, along with "unofficial" AtmosphereFromGround editing, and ocean editing (Including textures)...

(Posting this here, as technically it is not applicable as a plugin of its own)

Edited by KCreator
not much

In regards to the science archives bug with pf. Here is the (really) detailed way to replicate and illustrate the issue.

Firts Remove pf and alternis etc. From the gamedata folder.

Start a new career game.

Launch a vessel and collect a crew report etc on the launchpad.

Recover the vessel and go to the research center.

Click on the science archives button on the left/top side of the screen.

Youll see herman kerman(?cant remember his name:P) in his labcoat and under him there is a gui that shows the science you just performed on the launchpad.

Now exit the game and re-insert planetfactory into the gamedata folder and restart the game

load the career game you created earlier.

Go to the science archives as before but now there is no herman kerman in his lab. Only the background of the lab. And there is no science logs under him. The gui shows up as before but there is no meaningful data there. This problem persists if a new game is created and the science is collected again. Only removing pf fixes it.

I hope this helps in the bughunt. Loving the mod so far. And this is the only major/noticable bug iwe seen so far.

I know i could probably have uploaded some screenshots or a video illustrating the issue. But this way youll see it for yourself what the issue is

Edited by landeTLS

That looks awesome KCreator!

I can't figure out how to give a planet a different color atmosphere when seen from space, like this one being blue instead of the template Jool's green:

BRwf050.png

Is that the AtmosphereFromGround parameters (which aren't available yet?)

Also, here's what the surface of Plantar looks like:

k96ZaPf.png

I've run into a problem, I mad my own solar system, but now hen I tried to give one of my planes a moon, it screwed up the planet and it doesn't show the texture anymore, it just looks like Duna, and I go through the surface, and I tried to change the moons template to Mun and now it doesn't work either!!

It generates a weird error on load and I don't understand it, I don't see anything wrong in the CFG, and I dot know what to do :(

Also, I can't give my planet rings, why?

I have been working an a GUI for editing planets in game, so far it can: Give any planet atmosphere effects, and colour them freely, give any planet an ocean, modify all existing PQSMods, update a scaledspace model, and save to a file.

-Snippity-

(Is there a way of shrinking images?)

once I separate the code from my test plugin, and get Krags permission, as it uses copy+pasted PlanetFactory utility's. I might upload it for easy planet building, along with "unofficial" AtmosphereFromGround editing, and ocean editing (Including textures)...

(Posting this here, as technically it is not applicable as a plugin of its own)

That's awesome work! I'd like to see this become part of PFCE in the future.

Planet pack is almost complete

The star draka

First planet of the system Typhon green plains soaring mountains a nice place to visit

The moon of Typhon Victor

Second planet Kaiser a gas giant with a....oxygen atmosphere

First moon of kaiser Marek quite hard to get a encounter with as it has a microscopic SOI of 100km in a low orbit of kaiser

Second moon of Kaiser Kunar very rocky and mountainy terrain originally a Proper moon of eve but scrapped the idea

Third moon of kaiser Don has a very thin atmosphere and seeing the stars from dons surface is pretty cool

Moonlet of kaiser P&G like Minmus flats but green and mountainy

Still finalizing it fixing some issues and shall be released perhaps tomorrow or 2 days from now also going to attempt custom science reports

Edited by Dooz

Is there anyway to put back the alt timewarp limit? It has killed 100s of my ships because I accidently over-warp. Frankly, I would rather have that barrier than the planets.

I finally understand what you mean here. This isnt UltraWarp it is the KSP time warp altitude limits on new planets that have been scaled down. It goes from 1x to 10x warp because the game thinks your ship is higher than it is. I will supply a fix next version.

Krag

Edited by Kragrathea

I don't know why, but I have a hell of a time trying to get heightmaps to create smooth terrain. Anyone else having this issue? I'm using heightmaps from space engine and they just tend to create really sharp terrain, or if I lower deformity the features are hardly noticable. MapDecals on the other hand seem to generate much smoother terrain but I'v not been able to figure out how to calculate the position, or how to use more than one MapDecal at a time. Maybe my standards are just higher than most, but sharp pointy terrain just doesn't work for me, I'd like to see terrain closer to stock planets.

I don't know why, but I have a hell of a time trying to get heightmaps to create smooth terrain. Anyone else having this issue? I'm using heightmaps from space engine and they just tend to create really sharp terrain, or if I lower deformity the features are hardly noticable. MapDecals on the other hand seem to generate much smoother terrain but I'v not been able to figure out how to calculate the position, or how to use more than one MapDecal at a time. Maybe my standards are just higher than most, but sharp pointy terrain just doesn't work for me, I'd like to see terrain closer to stock planets.

No it's the good way to go.

For me, i'm going touch by touch, smooth a certain point, with the mapdecal, test différent heightMapDeformity strenght in PQSMod_VertexHeightMap, retest etc...

it's important to have your myplanet_height.png more or less smooth of course.

I have two questions about this.

1. I have successfully edited the source code to move Sentar into a less inclined and more distant orbit, but when I try to comment out Thud it doesn't work, Thud is still orbiting Sentar. How do I properly remove base PlanetFactory planets?

2. I have exported and modified a SpaceEngine texture and heightmap for a new gas giant I would like to orbit the Sun, but when I place that in a new plugin folder, like is done with the examples, it does not load. I have created a .system file that lists it, a cfg, a texture, and heightmap. When I load the game and try Ctrl+9 in flight mode nothing happens. I feel I am missing something obvious here, but I don't know what.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.