[WIP][0.90?] PlanetFactory CE

Kragrathea

Hey Krag, i'm having some trouble making my own planets. For now, i can only make minmus-like planets and i really need to know how to make planets like sentar or jool

Hi heres a Gas giant Code copy and paste it into your config

PFBody
{
name=Nameofplanet
templateName=Jool
flightGlobalsIndex=700

}

CelestialBody
{
bodyDescription=Yourdesc

}

Orbit
{
inclination = 2.0
eccentricity = 0.1
semiMajorAxis = 2900000000
LAN = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
referenceBody = Blah

Just change up the orbits to the orbit you would like As for Textures name your Textures Gasgiantname_map.png

Keep in mind the Atmosphere Color will be Green and there is no way to change it At this Moment.

Edited by Dooz

I'm having some trouble with Scaled Space meshes. Every time I create one, it is always far too small for what the high quality mesh of the planet is. Also, when I exit the game to rename the .bin and _normal files ,by removing the "_" at the end of them, the game crashes upon the next load.

What am I doing wrong here?

Okay. I've absolutely no idea how to make planets, but I figure I can probably just figure it out if I can get access to the internals of the various planets installed (currently "stock" PlanetFactory with the example systems removed, and Sido's Urania system.)

This leaves two things. One, the .bin files are clearly not in plaintext format as trying to open them in plaintext results in an incomprehensible mass of characters. Trying to decompress them as .bins results in two unarchiving programs telling me they can't be decompressed. How are the .bin files formatted so I can take a look at the .bins in question? Or do I even need to make .bins to make new planets?

Secondly, if you get a ship into a hyperbolic orbit around something, you can check MechJeb's orbit readings and it gives odd results like negative periapses or something of the sort. If you tweak about with the config settings, is it possible to get a planet into a hyperbolic orbit around Kerbol?

Also, it's very likely there'll be plenty of posts from me asking something along the lines of "what does this do." Such as modEnabled or PQSMod_PFDebug.

This is very frustrating....

Every time I make a scaled export and then re-load the game after removing the "_" from the end of the file name, the game crashes.

I also cant seem to use Barney as a template. When I do, the planet just doesnt appear.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Okay. I've absolutely no idea how to make planets, but I figure I can probably just figure it out if I can get access to the internals of the various planets installed (currently "stock" PlanetFactory with the example systems removed, and Sido's Urania system.)

This leaves two things. One, the .bin files are clearly not in plaintext format as trying to open them in plaintext results in an incomprehensible mass of characters. Trying to decompress them as .bins results in two unarchiving programs telling me they can't be decompressed. How are the .bin files formatted so I can take a look at the .bins in question? Or do I even need to make .bins to make new planets?

Secondly, if you get a ship into a hyperbolic orbit around something, you can check MechJeb's orbit readings and it gives odd results like negative periapses or something of the sort. If you tweak about with the config settings, is it possible to get a planet into a hyperbolic orbit around Kerbol?

Also, it's very likely there'll be plenty of posts from me asking something along the lines of "what does this do." Such as modEnabled or PQSMod_PFDebug.

In the OP there's a video Tutorial But make it Full screen And HD.

I made a moon around Kerbin based on Eve. How do I make a custom .bin for the planetary ocean?

The mod generates its own .bin using scaled exports to edit one you would probably need a very complicated program even if you made the bin to make it for oceans it would probably not work as for oceans i recommend using Laythe for a template for oceanic planets because i couldn't get kerbin eve based planets to have oceans.

The mod generates its own .bin using scaled exports to edit one you would probably need a very complicated program even if you made the bin to make it for oceans it would probably not work as for oceans i recommend using Laythe for a template for oceanic planets because i couldn't get kerbin eve based planets to have oceans.

I meant the depressions meant to act as oceans. If it takes a complicated program, please name the easiest one.

So, I have attempted to created false rings on my gas giant using the clouds mod, and it is pitiful. So I took a gander at the source code for Sentar's rings, and fund that to add rings you need to add the texture for it named planetnamehere_rings.png. But I realise it's not as simple as that, just adding a texture, becaus ethere are varibles like its incination, LAN, and size, etc. So getting to the point, is there a workaround I may use right now through the source code that can add Sentar's rings, (w/out the configs settings atleast) to say, a gas giant? Thanks :)

How do I fix this?

2YtbKOR.png

Maybe I should set the initial rotation to 270 or 90.

Also, close to the surface:

wQMXhxl.png

How do I create a custom .bin? Does it take a complicated program? Maybe Sido's Urania Pack can tell me something....

Has anyone made a planet mid 'explosion'? Crack apart with gaps between bits? Is the engine capable of handling this? It could still be one piece, just with a few invisible threads holding chunks into a single body with one SOI. It would certainly be a challenge to land on the interior surfaces.

You dont need any complicated programs to create the .bins, simply visit you planet inside ksp(with the textures for it only being a "_color" and "_height")

press ctrl 9 and get into it's SOI, and hit create scaled.

I mean a .bin where I can create it and it uses a custom texture for the ground, not a pre-existing texture like Moho.

I'm trying to re-create Venus and I'm having a problem with disappearing scaled-space meshes and misplaced atmospheres.

In this picture, you can see the planet's scaled space mesh just as it should appear.

1_zps3dfbd0d2.jpg

However, in this picture when I rotate the camera away from the planet, it suddenly disappears.

2_zpsf1440a4c.jpg

From the second picture you can also see that the atmosphere is very small and not in the place it should be.

Here's the config file for my this planet:

PFBody
{
name=Venus
templateName=Pol
flightGlobalsIndex=529
}

CelestialBody
{
bodyDescription=Planet Venus
GeeASL=0.904
Radius=6051800
rotates=True
rotationPeriod=20996798.4
initialRotation=0
tidallyLocked=False
atmosphere=True
atmosphereContainsOxygen=False
atmosphereScaleHeight=15.9
maxAtmosphereAltitude=220000
staticPressureASL=92
}

Orbit
{
inclination = 3.39458
eccentricity = 0.0067
semiMajorAxis = 10820800000
LAN = 76.678
argumentOfPeriapsis = 55.186
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
referenceBody = Sun
}

PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform
{
deactivateAltitude=500000
}
PQS
{
radius=6051800
minLevel=1
maxLevel=10
}
PQSMod_PFDebug
{
order=99999
modEnabled=True
minAlt=999999
}
PQSMod_VertexPlanet
{
modEnabled=False
}

PQSMod_PFOffset
{
modEnabled=True
offset=500
order=5
}
ScaledExport
{
templateName=Pol
mapWidth=2048
maxHeight=40000
hasOcean=false
oceanHeight=0.0
exportBin=True
removeAlpha=False
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
modEnabled=True
//order=160
heightMap=Venus_height.png
heightMapDeformity=13000
heightMapOffset=-2000
scaleDeformityByRadius=True
}

PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
modEnabled=True
//order=150
vertexColorMap=Venus_color.png
}

PQSMod_PFHeightColor
{
modEnabled=False
order=30
lerp=True
landClasses
{
LandClass
{
altStart=0
altEnd=0.5
color=0.99, 0.99, 0.99, 1.000
}
LandClass
{
altStart=0.5
altEnd=0.6
color=0.0, 0.02, 0.02, 1.000

}
LandClass
{
altStart=0.6
altEnd=0.7
color=0.15, 0.150, 0.155, 1.000

}
LandClass
{
altStart=0.7
altEnd=1.0
color=0.99, 0.99, 0.98, 1.000
}
}
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise
{
modEnabled=False
order=10
//noiseType=RiggedMultifractal
deformity=10
seed=45373
frequency=2
lacunarity=2.5
persistance=0.8
octaves=6
mode=Low
}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
{
modEnabled=False
//order=100
seed=3339071
deformity=1300
octaves=6
persistence=0.6
frequency=0.80
}

Any help here would be appreciated.

I mean a .bin where I can create it and it uses a custom texture for the ground, not a pre-existing texture like Moho.

PlanetFactory:CE is based of planet templates. You cant really, unless you have an understanding of PQS, or the distribution of quad squares in a spherical body. PQS is a method created by squad, and Kragethea sort of created a generator to make .bins based on this.

I'm trying to re-create Venus and I'm having a problem with disappearing scaled-space meshes and misplaced atmospheres.

In this picture, you can see the planet's scaled space mesh just as it should appear.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/VonFrank/1_zps3dfbd0d2.jpg

However, in this picture when I rotate the camera away from the planet, it suddenly disappears.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/VonFrank/2_zpsf1440a4c.jpg

From the second picture you can also see that the atmosphere is very small and not in the place it should be.

Here's the config file for my this planet:

PFBody
{
name=Venus
templateName=Pol
flightGlobalsIndex=529
}

CelestialBody
{
bodyDescription=Planet Venus
GeeASL=0.904
Radius=6051800
rotates=True
rotationPeriod=20996798.4
initialRotation=0
tidallyLocked=False
atmosphere=True
atmosphereContainsOxygen=False
atmosphereScaleHeight=15.9
maxAtmosphereAltitude=220000
staticPressureASL=92
}

Orbit
{
inclination = 3.39458
eccentricity = 0.0067
semiMajorAxis = 10820800000
LAN = 76.678
argumentOfPeriapsis = 55.186
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
referenceBody = Sun
}

{
deactivateAltitude=500000
}
PQS
{
radius=6051800
minLevel=1
maxLevel=10
}
PQSMod_PFDebug
{
order=99999
modEnabled=True
minAlt=999999
}
PQSMod_VertexPlanet
{
modEnabled=False
}

PQSMod_PFOffset
{
modEnabled=True
offset=500
order=5
}
ScaledExport
{
templateName=Pol
mapWidth=2048
maxHeight=40000
hasOcean=false
oceanHeight=0.0
exportBin=True
removeAlpha=False
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
modEnabled=True
//order=160
heightMapDeformity=13000
heightMapOffset=-2000
}

PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
modEnabled=True
//order=150
vertexColorMap=Venus_color.png
}

PQSMod_PFHeightColor
{
modEnabled=False
order=30
lerp=True
landClasses
{
LandClass
{
altStart=0
altEnd=0.5
color=0.99, 0.99, 0.99, 1.000
}
LandClass
{
altStart=0.5
altEnd=0.6
color=0.0, 0.02, 0.02, 1.000

}
LandClass
{
altStart=0.6
altEnd=0.7
color=0.15, 0.150, 0.155, 1.000

}
LandClass
{
altStart=0.7
altEnd=1.0
color=0.99, 0.99, 0.98, 1.000
}
}
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise
{
modEnabled=False
order=10
//noiseType=RiggedMultifractal
deformity=10
seed=45373
frequency=2
lacunarity=2.5
persistance=0.8
octaves=6
mode=Low
}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
{
modEnabled=False
//order=100
seed=3339071
deformity=1300
octaves=6
persistence=0.6
frequency=0.80
}

Any help here would be appreciated.

What do your _map and _color look like? and I believe it is due to this little section here

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

modEnabled=True

//order=160

heightMapDeformity=13000<----

heightMapOffset=-2000<----

}

What do your _map and _color look like? and I believe it is due to this little section here

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

modEnabled=True

//order=160

heightMapDeformity=13000<----

heightMapOffset=-2000<----

}

The _map and _color files look like the surface of the planet (my upper picture in my other post).

As for the "heightMapDeformity" and "heightMapOffset", those control the mountain height on the surface of the planet and nothing else (as far as I know). I've changed those settings on various planets (including this one) and it has not changed my problem.

The _map and _color files look like the surface of the planet (my upper picture in my other post).

As for the "heightMapDeformity" and "heightMapOffset", those control the mountain height on the surface of the planet and nothing else (as far as I know). I've changed those settings on various planets (including this one) and it has not changed my problem.

Well, the height-map deformity setting changes how much contrast the height map is detailing, or increasing any areas that are high, an vis versa for the low.

Height-map Offset controls the actual diameter of a Celestial body, and increasing or decreasing this number to an admirable value then creating a scaled mesh (orbit Venus, then press Ctrl9 and hit scaled mesh, wait a few minutes) and it should be fine

Well, the height-map deformity setting changes how much contrast the height map is detailing, or increasing any areas that are high, an vis versa for the low.

Height-map Offset controls the actual diameter of a Celestial body, and increasing or decreasing this number to an admirable value then creating a scaled mesh (orbit Venus, then press Ctrl9 and hit scaled mesh, wait a few minutes) and it should be fine

Well that's definitely not the case. I just tested out what you said and that's not what happened.

From what I can see, "heightMapDeformity" determines the maximum range in meters that the terrain varies, while "heightMapOffset" is a value that modifies the lower limit of the terrain deformity. For example, if you set deformity to 10,000 and offset to -3000, the lowest point of terrain will be -3000m and the highest point will be +7000m.

As for the problem of the misplaced atmosphere and disappearing planets, it seems that the scaled space mesh gets scaled up to the desired value visually, but the actual size of the scaled planet remains the same as its template. When the camera rotates to a point when the radius of the template is not visible, the entire SS mesh is no longer rendered. The atmosphere seems to be tied to the SS mesh so it lies around the smaller mesh as well.

Unless there's a setting to override this, it seems that this is a flaw in the current config file system.

I have a similar issue, While the basic radius of the celestial body is the same as it's template, you can change the terrain to some degree.I don't really seem to be able to change the actual radius of a world through the .CFG, but I can relate. This is what my avg. .cfg looks like for a moon:

PFBody
{
name=Cepheus
templateName=Eeloo
flightGlobalsIndex=710
}

CelestialBody
{
bodyDescription= Merely a dusty snowball, with a couple snow dunes on the edge of the system!
GeeASL=0.2
//Radius=200000
rotates=True
rotationPeriod=5100
initialRotation=180
tidallyLocked=False
}

Orbit
{
inclination = 1
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 21000000
LAN = 20
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 3
epoch = 0
referenceBody = Titan

}

{
//deactivateAltitude=180000
}
PQS
{
//radius=200000
minLevel=1
maxLevel=9
}
PQSMod_PFDebug
{
order=99999
modEnabled=True
minAlt=999999
}
PQSMod_VertexPlanet
{
modEnabled=False
}

PQSMod_PFOffset
{
modEnabled=True
offset=0.5
order=5
}
ScaledExport
{
templateName=Eeloo
mapWidth=2048
maxHeight=4000
hasOcean=false
oceanHeight=0.0
exportBin=True
removeAlpha=False
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
modEnabled=True
//order=1
heightMap=Cepheus_height.png
heightMapDeformity=-700
heightMapOffset=-1000
}

PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
modEnabled=True
//order=153
vertexColorMap=Cepheus_color.png
}

Edited by Yaeah

I have a similar issue, While the basic radius of the celestial body is the same as it's template, you can change the terrain to some degree.I don't really seem to be able to change the actual radius of a world through the .CFG, but I can relate. This is what my avg. .cfg looks like for a moon:

PFBody
{
name=Cepheus
templateName=Eeloo
flightGlobalsIndex=710
}

CelestialBody
{
bodyDescription= Merely a dusty snowball, with a couple snow dunes on the edge of the system!
GeeASL=0.2
//Radius=200000
rotates=True
rotationPeriod=5100
initialRotation=180
tidallyLocked=False
}

Orbit
{
inclination = 1
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 21000000
LAN = 20
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 3
epoch = 0
referenceBody = Titan

}

{
//deactivateAltitude=180000
}
PQS
{
//radius=200000
minLevel=1
maxLevel=9
}
PQSMod_PFDebug
{
order=99999
modEnabled=True
minAlt=999999
}
PQSMod_VertexPlanet
{
modEnabled=False
}

PQSMod_PFOffset
{
modEnabled=True
offset=0.5
order=5
}
ScaledExport
{
templateName=Eeloo
mapWidth=2048
maxHeight=4000
hasOcean=false
oceanHeight=0.0
exportBin=True
removeAlpha=False
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
modEnabled=True
//order=1
heightMap=Cepheus_height.png
heightMapDeformity=-700
heightMapOffset=-1000
}

PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
modEnabled=True
//order=153
vertexColorMap=Cepheus_color.png
}

As having some knowledge of coding the radius part is commented out remove the "//" and should look something like this

Radius=200000

Then set it to your desired radius And should work.

Edited by Dooz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.