HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

Alright. Tested it again, and same issue. All I can see after switching crafts to and from is the staged ion engine.

Mods used on KRS-002 "SCANsat": KWR, KSO's MechJeb, Karbonite, NFP, and SCANSat.

I'll post a mod list if you need it as well.

I shut the game down after seeing this.

KSP log

Output log

persistent file

Hi everyone ! I'm cross-posting from the NearFuture Technologies mod made by Nerea as I've encountered a conflict between his mod and HotRockets. It's not a huge issue but I figured I might as well inform everyone here since I took some time to figure out which mod was causing the conflict.

Basically it seems the HotRocket ModuleManager patches overwrite the NearFuture ones (these ones convert the LV-N into a real atomic engine, using Hydrogen and nerf a bit the stock Ion Engine). I'm not too savvy about ModuleManager files so I'm not sure what to do to make sure NearFuture patches are the last applied (maybe a FINAL tag ?). Anyways, here are the two files from NearFuture so you can check the code involved :

// LV-N (stock)
@PART[nuclearEngine]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngines] {
@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
{
@name = LiquidHydrogen
@ratio = 1.0
}
!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
}
}

@PART[ionEngine] 
{
@cost = 5300
@mass = 0.22
EFFECTS
{
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/IonXenonOn
volume = 1.0
pitch = 1.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
PREFAB_PARTICLE
{
prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
transformName = thrustTransform
oneShot = true
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/GenericFlameout
volume = 1.0
pitch = 1.0
loop = false
}
}
exhaust
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/IonXenonLoop01
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 0.01 0.1
volume = 0.5 0.2
volume = 1.0 0.4
pitch = 0.0 0.6
pitch = 0.5 0.7
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
modelName = NearFuturePropulsion/FX/hipepplume
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.01 0.1
emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.0
speed = 0.0 0.35
speed = 1.0 1.0
}
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesFX
directThrottleEffectName = exhaust

@maxThrust = 1.4
@PROPELLANT[XenonGas]
{
@ratio = 0.1
}
@PROPELLANT[ElectricCharge]
{
DrawGauge = True
@ratio = 3.52
}
!atmosphereCurve {}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 3800
}
!fxOffset
}
MODULE
{
name = ElectricEngineThrustLimiter
EnergyUsage = 13.2
minThrust = 0.0001
minPressure = 1.0
}
}

hotrockets works fine with them i use them check to make sure something else is not wrong jashin. also we need more info just staying not work dont help us. i use both with no problem

We've actually figured it out with Nerea. It's not a huge issue but it's a conflict between the two ModuleManager patches, since both have a section like this

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesFX

I guess one overwrites the other, and in the end HotRockets seems to have the priority because the NearFuture patches do not work at all. One of them nerfs the PB-ION a little bit (from 2 to 1.4 kN of thrust) and tweaks its power consumption, the other is optional and turns the LV-N into a real atomic engine that consumes hydrogen. It's quite easy to see that these patches aren't working because the numbers and consumption are not changed. Also, I've checked each mod I use one by one and I'm 100% sure that HotRockets MM configs are the culprit. Like I said, it's not a huge issue, but I figured I should post here to see if we could tweak the MM config a little bit.

Nazari, a PSA:

Your curves aren't doing what they think you are. Anywhere you have more than 2 points, probably something like this is happening:

Screenshot_117.png

That's the emission curve for the Poodle. As you can see, because you left all the tangents free it shoots way over the intended amounts and then goes back down.

Right clicking the second key and setting it to 'free smooth' and then playing with it a bit gets me this:

Screenshot_118.png

Which I think is closer to what you intended.

You want to put your curves through r4m0n's Float Curve Editor and check they're behaving as intended.

Edited by Taverius

That's intentional - its done in 'GameData\MP_Nazari\FX\emissives\emissives.cfg'

Thanks, that explains it. I just like the standard texture more, even if that thing is a bit low res. Changing it is pretty easy, though.

Hi!

Many thanks for the FX tutorial, but I have some problem.

When pressing "write" it is exporting a .mu, but no texture (I insert it in folder manually). The effect does not work in game.

My assets

4098c27f51.jpg

Emit Setup

83de114243.png

Part Tools

a4fdc07ef1.png

FX Folder

b4147617be.jpg

Particle Setup

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
name = ParticleGasFX
modelName = Tantares/FX/ParticleGas
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.0
emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 0.5
speed = 1.0 1.2
}

Engine Setup

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
engineID = MonoPropellantElectric
runningEffectName = running_mono

thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 7
heatProduction = 200
fxOffset = 0, 0, 0
PROPELLANT
{
name = ElectricCharge
ratio = 1.8
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = MonoPropellant
ratio = 0.1
DrawGauge = True
}

atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 700
Key = 1 200
}

}

Any help can be given is much appreciated :)

This was the only tutorial I could find on FX!

Particle Setup should be:

EFFECTS
{
running_mono
{
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
name = ParticleGasFX // i dont know if this is necessary
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.0
emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 0.5
speed = 1.0 1.2
}
}
}

Particle Setup should be:

EFFECTS
{
running_mono
{
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
name = ParticleGasFX // i dont know if this is necessary
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.0
emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 0.5
speed = 1.0 1.2
}
}
}

Hi!

Thanks for the help, but I should elaborate.

My MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE was already inside the "Effects{", "running_mono{" enclosure and I had just added the smallest snippit, sorry for the confusion.

I can swap in Squad/FX/ks1_Exhaust for example and the effect works perfectly, it is just my custom effect which has trouble.

I found a minor problem with the engine: PB-ION Electric Propulsion System.

The same happened with KW Rocketry 2.6c. The engine seems on, when in fact it is off.

Seems to work fine for me. Are you sure you have the latest .cfg files for Hot Rockets?

Seems to work fine for me. Are you sure you have the latest .cfg files for Hot Rockets?

I downloaded the file: "hotrockets_7.24_nazari_launchsmoke". This is what I have installed. I suppose the last CFG hot rocket to be here.

I may have corrupted some Mod, because I have many installed and I'm starting to have stability issues in the game.

I also have to say that I play with the 64 Bit version.

Is it only me waiting for FPSlacker's return? His expanding exhaust cfgs are so awesomely right and appropriate, that all other engines look just weird without this :(

I dont understand they keys used there, but then again, I never paid more than 10 minutes of attention to syntax of multi particle and smokescreen. I might have to, though, if such state of affairs will last longer :D

Are any of these issues people are having with the mod -- will they corrupt your save? I have a back-up already, I'm just curious if I should try the remedies other people have mentioned, even though I haven't noticed any issues on my end.

Is it only me waiting for FPSlacker's return? His expanding exhaust cfgs are so awesomely right and appropriate, that all other engines look just weird without this :(

I dont understand they keys used there, but then again, I never paid more than 10 minutes of attention to syntax of multi particle and smokescreen. I might have to, though, if such state of affairs will last longer :D

no im also waiting for FPSlacker's return hopeing for a kw cfg

Are any of these issues people are having with the mod -- will they corrupt your save? I have a back-up already, I'm just curious if I should try the remedies other people have mentioned, even though I haven't noticed any issues on my end.

well ive had no corrupt save due to hotrockets but any mod has a chance to mess up your save.

Hi there, I was having some strange issues with a particular craft and was able to identify HotRockets (version from 7/19/2014 with LaunchSmoke; KSP version 0.24.2 x64 Win) as the source of my woes. I thought I'd post about it here in the hopes of troubleshooting a solution that would allow me to reinstall this awesome mod, because seeing the stock particle fx made me facepalm :)

So I was testing this craft (Dropbox link; craft requires KER and ProcFairings) and already on the launchpad I was experiencing an unusual amount of lag, even though it's just over 100 parts so not very massive at all. Then, to my great bafflement, between 23km and 24km altitude (Ap at roughly 38km) shortly after ditching the first stage I would get super-massive intolerable lag that reduced the game to a 1-fps slideshow (the launch profile didn't seem to matter as long as I hit said altitude). Previous smaller craft had been working smooth as butter in this Career campaign with HotRockets and various other mods installed.

At first I suspected E.V.E./Astronomer's clouds or a combination of FAR and Procedural Fairings, but trial-and-error testing (removed each mod individually and tried again) revealed that this was not the case. Once I removed HotRockets the problem was resolved and overall lag, from the launchpad up to the previously crippling 23-24km range and beyond, was completely eliminated. What on Earth (er, Kerbin) could be causing such lag, and why does it apparently affect this particular craft but not others?

I'm happy to provide further details of my installation, log files etc. on request. Thanks for your help!

Edited by abxt

Seems to be something wrong. This is "The Little Mother" from NovaPunch2 sitting at the lauch pad not active. It happens with other engines from NovaPunch2 also. Not sure where to find a log file to post. Just let me know what other information might be useful to solve this problem.

KSP: 0.24.2

HotRockets!: Fresh August 1, 2014 upload

jyMtmjS.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.