Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Not so long ago I found

htv_1e_l.jpg

and

oosidemount.atv.carrier.jpg

I am not trying to make 100% photorealistic crafts. My goal is to make few around 20 tons crafts able to deliver fuel, rcs and in future other supplies to space station.

lJM12Xb.png

p6jNefj.png

wBP4A1i.png

LfNs4xZ.png

All versions are 33 parts and are using propulsion module from my MPCV MK 4 (also posted here some time ago) :)

Enjoyed seeing the two stock Apollo's being made from MJ and Gus, seems like with the new bigger parts that are the same colour as the Saturn V rockets, everyone will be having to remake thier stock Apollo's, the new parts just look so much better.

sgt_flyer's mini apollo is just mind boggling.

Here is a stock Apollo I made a while ago, it all started around the LM, I wanted to make it using toroid tanks for the same foil look of the original. That mean't in the end it was really over weight with a ridiculous amount of LM fuel, I was going more for aesthetics so I used the right number to get it in proportion.

Anyway, it luckily turned out ok, was able to use 5 Mail sails and then 5 skippers with just enough length in stage 1 and 2 to keep the Saturn V feel.

I was actually really suprised how much I liked flying this in the correct apollo style, and how much satisfaction I got from making a replica. Kinda changed my outlook from making monster asparagus machines to now being more keen on making things realistic.

Was the first time I made an escape tower too.

The launch and the second stage some times fail (the exploding kind), which I actually like, means there is a genuine chance to need to use the escape tower.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So I guess this is now a work in progress with the new stock parts available, I might just have to borrow MJ's design and fit my LM into it if that's ok?

Enjoyed seeing the two stock Apollo's being made from MJ and Gus, seems like with the new bigger parts that are the same colour as the Saturn V rockets, everyone will be having to remake thier stock Apollo's, the new parts just look so much better.

sgt_flyer's mini apollo is just mind boggling.

Here is a stock Apollo I made a while ago, it all started around the LM, I wanted to make it using toroid tanks for the same foil look of the original. That mean't in the end it was really over weight with a ridiculous amount of LM fuel, I was going more for aesthetics so I used the right number to get it in proportion.

Anyway, it luckily turned out ok, was able to use 5 Mail sails and then 5 skippers with just enough length in stage 1 and 2 to keep the Saturn V feel.

I was actually really suprised how much I liked flying this in the correct apollo style, and how much satisfaction I got from making a replica. Kinda changed my outlook from making monster asparagus machines to now being more keen on making things realistic.

Was the first time I made an escape tower too.

The launch and the second stage some times fail (the exploding kind), which I actually like, means there is a genuine chance to need to use the escape tower.

http://imgur.com/a/kExN2

So I guess this is now a work in progress with the new stock parts available, I might just have to borrow MJ's design and fit my LM into it if that's ok?

Damn you man! Your the first person Ive seen use the Gold tanks that way. I was going to use the gold tanks like that on my lander but there was no room for a rover. :(

I really like your apollo craft Aegeas. That lander is super cool!

Its very fun flying the correct apollo 11 profile isn't it!

Keep up the the good work.

MJ

I've gotten so used to the grey tanks around here that the gold looks weird to me (yes, I know they're gold in real life -- I'm a space nut! :))

Great work on this! Do you also happen to be Polish? I see the flag in the VAB, haha. I actually have Polish ancestry -- granddad and grandma are both from Poland.

Sorry to be off topic! Looks great, the lander is awesome! :)

Thanks for the comments,

I like how the gold turned out too, overall this has been my most satisfying build so far.

Its very fun flying the correct apollo 11 profile isn't it!

Yeah it really is, after the rocket started to become stable and I was doing some test runs I started looking into at what points the stages actually fired in RL. I was supprized to see that my rocket was pretty similar in performance. Took me a while to find out but looks like the 3rd stage was shot off past the moon in an escape orbit, then the LM burns to get captured by the moon/mun. So I try and keep true to this. It actually made me a bit of a temporary Apollo nut for a few weeks, I was reading up on everything - another way Kerbal inspires you to want to find out about things.

Do you also happen to be Polish? I see the flag in the VAB, haha. I actually have Polish ancestry -- granddad and grandma are both from Poland.

No its actually a green version of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Flag

Its an Aussie protest flag of sorts, some greenies change the colour and protest environmental things now, I'm not concerned with that I just wanted a green flag to match the green kerbals but one that still had a link to Australia.

I've been working on an Energia like lifter recently. The proportions are a bit off, but I would rather it be simplistic than an exact replica.

2p8Y7OV.png

It has been very successful and can take a full orange tank into orbit. I have some really cool places I want to take this, Including a Buran style space shuttle, a reusable core stage, and creating the rest of the Energia family.

Also, this site has been super useful and interesting for anyone interested in the Energia program: http://www.buran-energia.com

Testing my RSS direct-ascent one man moon rocket named Moonstrosity. (Sorry if the name is copyrighted, Gus :cool:). It works on paper, but I am not really sure if my transfer stage will work completely.

qeGpBSx.png

EDIT:

Have orbit, need to go to the moon! Going to use some of the final stage for my insertion stage.

tbeOfYD.png

Edited by Redrobin

Just started this. I think I just accidentally copied GusTurbo, I tried radiallly attaching nose cones and added some other things, and got this! :0

gWwraWd.png

EDIT:

Finished the wings, still WIP, obviously. I'm supposed to be doing homework but am getting carried away with this... I somehow did better than expected and this may be my best Space Shuttle attempt yet! :DS

iusYTDO.png

Edited by Woopert

Nice shuttle, Woopert. Now, with my moon landing finished, it is time to construct my Mars mission. Now, I will be doing this completely stock, with LEO construction and plenty of other things.

Just started this. I think I just accidentally copied GusTurbo, I tried radiallly attaching nose cones and added some other things, and got this! :0

EDIT:

Finished the wings, still WIP, obviously. I'm supposed to be doing homework but am getting carried away with this... I somehow did better than expected and this may be my best Space Shuttle attempt yet! :DS

That's looking really awesome! I like what you've done with the nose.

I redesigned my Energia launcher today. It now has much more realistic proportions and is modular, but the payload to orbit has been cut by two thirds and there isn't a cool 4 engine booster anymore, which is unfortunate.

Later I decided to launch a payload that resembled the Polyus.

zPR6A5U.png

But I forgot to add solar panels, or fuel lines for that matter, so it was a complete failure. ;.;

tKrPdVK.png

i HATE beeing distracted from my Mün Mission and Soyuz rockets ...

Delta IV medium+ 5.4 - done

Delta IV heavy - done

Ariane 3 & 4 - in progress

Ariane 5 - maybe...

<_<

sadly no pics yet, imgur won't accept new ones curently. don't know why.

Hi all,

I have been wanting a realistic looking plane to fly around kerbin for a while now.

After doing some tests and seeing zombiphylax's Slamdancer I decided to make a bi-plane.

It may look a little like his but its a completely different animal. I made a tiny little cockpit for the pilot and gave her proper strutting.

She glides a little too well, making landings tough. But shes very fast!

BCF061CE395FDC4E00E34402DF067A698424808A

C54195ED15424AC3EBFF3528B3D129AD4E9B6305

3B9DB4AB4FF08AAD9D44779230BBA11A4844B6E6

A6AAA27014ED3249DB9D085CCB8B4AAB47464C4C

36182F36C2A82897BA5A8A06AAEF1A01F229695F

MJ