Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I'm trying to get my only successful SSTO ever working again after the 0.25 patch. For some reason it tilts upwards once in space now which it never used to do. Got the wings sorted though.

It also seems a tad heavier than before and it was already underpowered. :/

XgOcDrO.png

jfVsDnJ.png

Work has begun on my new shuttle! I've decided to do something different this time, rather than build it from scratch and speed 3 months getting the cargobay working, I simply copied over a stripped down version of my previous shuttle. Of course the bay doors will need some adjustments to make it work with the new parts.

nUVJXJB.jpg

So far I have the wings done... I have not tried Spaceplane+ before, and WOWOWOWOW! I had no idea how many different shapes and sizes of wings there are!

@Frozen_Heart

Landing gear in 0.25 stopped being massless and apparently they tuned down the torque of the capsules. Maybe that explains your problems ...

I found the problem was the Rapier Engines gimbal was no longer working, despite it being unlocked. Once I'd deleted them and them added them again it works as before. :) Still not sure where the extra couple of tons has come from though. Its really damaging the climb rate.

edit: aaaahhhh! gimbals are disabling every flight and having to replace the engines each time I launch to solve it! >:(

Edited by Frozen_Heart

LOL me too man! I only just noticed them, i thought it was bug. They are awesome!

Perfect for my latest build thing.

That's gonna mess up more than one ship of mine. Anyhow, it'll be useful!

BTW, remember those lifting body comments? This is your fault! There are only six control surfaces on this thing, and four are on the core:

Guog2eL.png

jbu8Xqq.png

A healthy 1km/s on orbit on monoprop, too, and a sedate landing speed once empty, as show by our rigorous testing: horizontal liftoff from the runway heading east on 9 seconds of SRB kick-in-the-pants at almost 7Gs, and big long loop back to the runway to land the same way we lifted.

vqijq3U.png

Rune. Using tanks as wings! And stabilizers! :)

Edited by Rune

That's gonna mess up more than one ship of mine. Anyhow, it'll be useful!

BTW, remember those lifting body comments? This is your fault! There are only six control surfaces on this thing, and four are on the core:

http://i.imgur.com/Guog2eL.png

http://i.imgur.com/jbu8Xqq.png

A healthy 1km/s on orbit on monoprop, too, and a sedate landing speed once empty, as show by our rigorous testing: horizontal liftoff from the runway heading east on a half-empty SRB, and big long loop back to the runway to land the same way we lifted.

http://i.imgur.com/vqijq3U.png

Rune. Using tanks as wings! And stabilizers! :)

LOL! I'm happy to have spawned such a thought.

Looks like fun!

Nose is done, it includes a Mk2 cockpit, a Mk2 crew container (only accessible with the new crew transfer thing), and a Mk2 docking port (I like Mk2).

Flight tests have begun:

OkxGjou.jpg

Cargo bay is nearly operational:

Cz73jST.jpg

It also has two atomic rockets giving it around 1800 m/s of delta-v (Minmus mission anyone?).

Managed to shave 3 tons from my SSTO but it is still a ton heavier than previously. Also to do this I've had to sacrifice all RCS and docking capability. I checked the original craft which was 46 tons but when ported to 0.25 its over 50 tons! :/

Not sure what to do now as something that can barely make orbit, can't dock and has no payload isn't exactly useful.

Managed to shave 3 tons from my SSTO but it is still a ton heavier than previously. Also to do this I've had to sacrifice all RCS and docking capability. I checked the original craft which was 46 tons but when ported to 0.25 its over 50 tons! :/

Not sure what to do now as something that can barely make orbit, can't dock and has no payload isn't exactly useful.

The wings are twice as heavy now but they're *supposed* to generate twice as much lift.

I present the unwieldy KAF-1300 "Falcon" (crewed, as dumb luck would have it, by Mileny Kerman). Thought I'd test the frame before closing the rest of the body up. It takes the whole runway to hit 70m/s, but it flies, somehow. With roll and yaw maxed to the left, it does a nice, gentle banked curve to the right while slowly gaining altitude. Let them loose and it rolls over and makes a spectacular fireworks display on impact. Even 15T of counterweight on the left side can't counteract the cockpit. Haven't come up with a discrete solution to this yet.

falconproto.jpg

unfortunately the new patch broke all of my crafts (almost).

So... I'm reworking old versions.

Here's Beta F-22 Raptor.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Beta because I'm working at rear wings and

in cargobay.

It's needs better shape at the ends of main wings

Edit: WIP Missiles:

TjOL0Iw.gif

One is working only for now

Edited by Mareczex333

All my cargo ships went out of commission - particularly because the small control surface, on which all my planes heavily rely, has been nerfed.

So here's a new one I'm working on - has the same characteristics of my other heavy cargo ships.

r9yTQoC.jpg

Yeah i'm not being particularly original here... but what can I do, it's a damn clever design!

And also, mine is only half the part count compared to the Falcon XIII!

AND just so it doesn't count as a complete rip-off, the cargo comes out of the butt and not the cockpit }:-]

XYB1p3g.jpg

SIGH all these new wing parts, and I'm still wasting HOURS trying to come up with good wing tips

>:-I

SIGH all these new wing parts, and I'm still wasting HOURS trying to come up with good wing tips

I've already had my rant about the SP+ wings in the 0.25 grand discussion thread. Having spent the last hour playing around with Procedural Dynamics I'm stunned. Just stunned. Cannot. Pick. My. Jaw. Off. The. Ground. Squad? Hello Squad? Why are procedural parts not stock? Hello, anybody there...?

Here is my skylon replica I ahve been working on:

http://imgur.com/a/HJUa8

Takes off before end of runway and can land perfectly. It has a docking port and a huge cargo bay!

Release will be shortly...

Yay more Skylons.

Yours is very Skylon-y. I like.

You should angle the intake and jets downwards so it looks more like the real engines. Then its perfect!

All my cargo ships went out of commission - particularly because the small control surface, on which all my planes heavily rely, has been nerfed.

So here's a new one I'm working on - has the same characteristics of my other heavy cargo ships.

http://i.imgur.com/r9yTQoC.jpg

Yeah i'm not being particularly original here... but what can I do, it's a damn clever design!

And also, mine is only half the part count compared to the Falcon XIII!

AND just so it doesn't count as a complete rip-off, the cargo comes out of the butt and not the cockpit }:-]

http://i.imgur.com/XYB1p3g.jpg

Wow! How did you make the hinging tail?

That's easy... structural pylon.

I got a video on that:

The relevant bits are at 2:42, 9:32, 13:05, 15:38

Just be sure your door isn't strutted to the ship.

Notice how I placed the roof docking ports asymmetrically? It's because the pylon randomly chooses which end will flex...

The WIP plane works the same, only it flies like total JUNK... xD damn new parts.

edit: wait why are u surprised, I clearly remember seeing shuttle doors by you 8-I

Edited by Overfloater