Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Rune has unsatisfiable desire to minimize part counts. Mind you Rune knows his stuff and have developed quite a few craft that I myself love, but his motto is always do more with less. While it might not seem as fun at first slapping together minimal parts and calling it a day, the true challenge is in how you make the most out of those hand full of pieces. I myself tend to start building a craft and have it end up large and complex, there is ultimately nothing wrong with that approach. I find it truly difficult to refine my concepts down to the minimalist approach like Rune is famous for.

I guess what I'm saying is Rune is Rune, he will always try to maintain a practical and functional approach. If thats not what you're going for, then just say so and ignore any sounds to the opposite. Just keep an eye on the suggestions as I've seen quite a few elegant design choices and suggestions come from Rune that I'd never have thought about otherwise.

Build what you love, I always find your crafts worth a look Rofl, just like I find Runes crafts the same way.

If i were to take runes advice this is the kind of craft i would be making :/

took 20 minutes to make and i did not even have to test fly it, it went to orbit on the test flight, there is just no fun in that.

4INIILq.jpg

he just wants me to make craft using the very minimal that possibly can every time i build something and it is not going to happen, it does sometimes on rare occasions, i just do not get why it is such a big problem to be honest, they are my craft after all...

Yes, that craft does look boring, but that's not what Rune wants you to do. He gets his fun out of making a simple craft like that look amazing, while still being highly functional and efficient. (which takes longer than 20min). However, Rune shouldn't expect you to build his way. Some of us, like Rune, take pleasure in building things that look good and are efficient. Others, like you, just build and don't really look at the numbers, just building it so it's aesthetically pleasing to you. I, for instance, like building somewhat sensible stuff, and some times I try to not let the part count rise up to high.

Different people with different play styles. If you don't like some other's stuff, just leave it be. You can give tips and advice, but it's up to them what they do with it.

Now let's get back on track and discuss WIP's, instead of bickering over play-styles ;)

I decided to take a break from a work-in-progress and ended up with another work-in-progress... just got to make it over that last hump. This SSTO is the SERV 800 mk2. Like it's mk1 predecessor, it is hauling up an 800 ton fuel depot. Unlike it's predecessor, it looks much more aerodynamic with the nose shroud and has nuke engines for assisting orbital burns and primary de-orbit (truthfully don't know if they're worth the weight...) Problems: can't land well yet and turns like beached whale; it will eat 4 tons of monoprop with pretty minimal movement... And anything over 80-85km orbit is really pushing it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

P.S. don't know why, but albums will not post to fit page!?! what am I doing wrong? I use just the end of the url like the other guy said too... *mutters* I dunno

Edited by TheBarnetts

I decided to take a break from a work-in-progress and ended up with another work-in-progress... just got to make it over that last hump. This SSTO is the SERV 800 mk2. Like it's mk1 predecessor, it is hauling up an 800 ton fuel depot. Unlike it's predecessor, it looks much more aerodynamic with the nose shroud and has nuke engines for assisting orbital burns and primary de-orbit (truthfully don't know if they're worth the weight...) Problems: can't land well yet and turns like beached whale; it will eat 4 tons of monoprop with pretty minimal movement... And anything over 80-85km orbit is really pushing it.

http://imgur.com/a/iP6tD#0

P.S. don't know why, but albums will not post to fit page!?! what am I doing wrong? I use just the end of the url like the other guy said too... *mutters* I dunno

Holy **ap that is awesome.

Btw to embed an album dont use the album URL, use the index(in your case it is iP6tD). Then you put that between the [imgur] indicators.

Yes, that craft does look boring, but that's not what Rune wants you to do. He gets his fun out of making a simple craft like that look amazing, while still being highly functional and efficient. (which takes longer than 20min). However, Rune shouldn't expect you to build his way. Some of us, like Rune, take pleasure in building things that look good and are efficient. Others, like you, just build and don't really look at the numbers, just building it so it's aesthetically pleasing to you. I, for instance, like building somewhat sensible stuff, and some times I try to not let the part count rise up to high.

Different people with different play styles. If you don't like some other's stuff, just leave it be. You can give tips and advice, but it's up to them what they do with it.

Now let's get back on track and discuss WIP's, instead of bickering over play-styles ;)

Almost, but not quite. This is one of my favorite SSTOs:

Bv0arwf.png

But then again, so is this:

2TIaGgo.png

One has about 50 parts and minimal amount of clipping where you can see every part, the other has six times the parts and stacks of eight intakes. Still, a comparable amount of time was spent building each of them, so they both outperform similar SSTOs either on part count, on performance, or both... and they all have some special characteristic like interchangeable center bodies or a payload door/rack. Still, people don't get when a polite discussion is over... for me, it's the first time I'm called names.

Rune. Not that is was a discussion, mind you, it was advice. Last advice to him, in this case.

Haha that's great! How much does it carry?!

Er, nothing at the moment. Around 250T when she's finished but I really doubt that shell be able to make orbit. Landing is probably right out.

Next thing to sort out is some sort of pitch control. And yaw control. And roll control...

Er, nothing at the moment. Around 250T when she's finished but I really doubt that shell be able to make orbit. Landing is probably right out.

Next thing to sort out is some sort of pitch control. And yaw control. And roll control...

Well, it's a neat design i think! Looks like it could carry 250tons based off my SSTOs. Largest plane I made only got 40tons up to orbit but it was proportionately smaller.

Regarding WiP: No clue if I'll get this to fly to orbit, never mind VTOLing as is my intention. But in the first rough draft things are working out, even if I'm crap doing hinges without Klaws.

8Ey5tzR.png

sHuHXrF.png

Rune. The skunkworks need a dropship like yesterday.

Regarding WiP: No clue if I'll get this to fly to orbit, never mind VTOLing as is my intention. But in the first rough draft things are working out, even if I'm crap doing hinges without Klaws.

http://i.imgur.com/8Ey5tzR.png

http://i.imgur.com/sHuHXrF.png

*Runs to build new dropship*

Nice design man, can't wait to see it fly.

Sick nose Rune! I think you will only get it to orbit if you place some engines under the wings but suprise us!

Here is my STTO that I hope to release very soon, I already got it to orbit. :cool:

How do you remove the blue background into transparent?

Gue

Edited by Gue__1

http://i.imgur.com/8Ey5tzR.png

http://i.imgur.com/sHuHXrF.png

If you need help just ask rune :wink:

As a counterpoint to the rather huge spaceplanes on the previous pages, I present my mini-shuttle. Very happy with its performance and look, but I'm at a loss how to deal with its launch system. My main thoughts are either a reusable Shuttle-style main tank or piggybacking it on another plane á la Sänger 2. What do you think? :)

If I was doing it, I would strap it to the side of a central core with no boosters. Think Buran. With some clever use of Vernor thrusters and reaction wheels, the core should be able to put the plane on a suborbital trajectory, after which it would circularize on its own power while the core returned to the atmosphere. You can even stick some wings on the core booster and make it 100% reusable if you're into that!

If it can carry a massive payload into orbit then landing should be easy as it will be very light when it comes back to Kerbin. Provided the CoM doesn't move much.

If you need help just ask rune :wink:

You are just the guy I was thinking about. Would you say I can do this >30º degree hinge with wto little radial engines on top of each other acting as hinge between two I-beams? More engines will give me more hinge? It's a matter of more legs instead? Try as I might, I haven't been able to go over 30º. But I haven't tried much, so your expertise will surely be of much help.

Sick nose Rune! I think you will only get it to orbit if you place some engines under the wings but suprise us!

Here is my STTO that I hope to release very soon, I already got it to orbit. :cool:

http://imgur.com/a/VDTkx

Gue

Not too shabby yourself! You certainly don't see that kind of fuselage every day, so points for originality. I just blatantly copied form "The Avengers" movie! And just going by the indicators on the SPH... this may actually lift without the lift engines! CoM and CoL are in a sane place with only the aesthetics done, and with a slight tilt of the engines, I also manage to make the thrust vector to go though there, and put all that where it doesn't move as the tanks dry. We will see how that turns out...

Rune. Not a lot of fuel either... I might have to clip some more, since the tail tank is purely aesthetic and can't be filled without screwing with CoM.

If I was doing it, I would strap it to the side of a central core with no boosters. Think Buran. With some clever use of Vernor thrusters and reaction wheels, the core should be able to put the plane on a suborbital trajectory, after which it would circularize on its own power while the core returned to the atmosphere. You can even stick some wings on the core booster and make it 100% reusable if you're into that!

I already tried strapping it to a Skipper-powered 2.5m stack and crossfeeding fuel. It gets to orbit, but not without unholy amounts of concentration and fiddling with thrust limiters :P

http://imgur.com/a/VDTkx

Gue

wow, love the "chubbyness" of it. how much delta-v after orbit?

You are just the guy I was thinking about. Would you say I can do this >30º degree hinge with wto little radial engines on top of each other acting as hinge between two I-beams? More engines will give me more hinge? It's a matter of more legs instead? Try as I might, I haven't been able to go over 30º. But I haven't tried much, so your expertise will surely be of much help.

What I did when it didn't move far enough was to have a "middle state". There would be landing legs that keep the part up and legs to push it down completely. Just put a docking port at the top if you want it to stay while timewarping.

Edited by Giggleplex777

9t3ndo, that is a slick looking plane if I ever saw one, and so I've rep'ed. Continuing with the "Quinjet" (zekes is gonna die of boredom before he gets to do turn 2 of our battle), I am very happy to report, not only does it VTOL on just two jets, it flies halfway decent and most important of all... SSTO without modifications! It can even lift off conventionally without VTOL engines before the end of the runway, I must have had an inspired day.

q4RdA06.png

What I did when it didn't move far enough was to have a "middle state". There would be landing legs that keep the part up and legs to push it down completely. Just put a docking port at the top if you want it to stay while timewarping.

Yeah, that could be an option. The only problem is I wouldn't know where to put the upwards-pushing legs without ruining the looks. The bay door is the next thing on the list, It kinda works right now but I want to rate it for vehicles... perhpas I will hinge the door on top with a Klaw, since I know that method very well and it works great. Plus, a ramp that ends in a point doesn't really work for wheeled vehicles, so I'll just retract gear to make the whole bay floor level with the ground.

Rune. I'm starting to believe I can make anything fly in KSP, because that configuration is just plain nuts.

Edited by Rune