Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

The U-boat has gotten to be so many parts that I can't even launch it in a stock install without crashes. So I started another side project:

lijHqaB.jpg

My hope is that one day I can get it to dive down to the ocean floor, find an ore deposit, and mine it with a drill (to be installed on future versions). Right now though, it just waddles around in the water at a lazy 0.8 m/s and can't dive at all. Due to it's shape and apparently lazy nature, I've named it the Walrus.

Maybe it will dive further if I take some of the unused fuel out.

Is that KerbCity, pTrev? If so please PM me.

No, it's the KSC Island boat ramp from KerbinSide. For some reason I was unable to find the seaplane buoys in the list of launch sites.

Hmm... Yukon made a submarine/submersible last page... I sense a revolution coming.

The boats will emerge victorious!

Really like that Walrus, anyway, looks really expedition-submersible thing, reminds me of those deep sea ones, like the Nautilus, quite interested in deep sea stuff myself.

Do you actually have Kerbin City installed? Just verifying, sorry for the weird question.

Yeah, I was going for a deep sea exploration look.

And no, I don't have Kerbin City installed, it doesn't seem that useful or interesting compared to the other mods I have.

My hope is that one day I can get it to dive down to the ocean floor, find an ore deposit, and mine it with a drill (to be installed on future versions). Right now though, it just waddles around in the water at a lazy 0.8 m/s and can't dive at all.

Maybe it will dive further if I take some of the unused fuel out.

:) I think ore deposits can't be found at the bottom of the ocean, also, your sub is going to need MORE power just to get under. Mine took 12 turbojets to push 20 tons underwater at 5 m/s. Given the size of yours, you''d probably need more than that. Also, there are some parts what annoyingly refuse to sink like wings.

I know I haven't been releasing much lately, but that's because my "careering" is keeping me busy. Still, I think said "careering" is giving me a lot of useful subassemblies, so I might pack a whole bunch of them and do a "subassembly special". What do you guys think about the idea? My Klaw Drones, the Drive Pods, MMUs... plus a whole lot of new toys, like the ones I am actually using right now as I write this to perform one of the most boring burns in the history of ever. I started yesterday, and I'm currently on hour two of the two and a half hour burn. Good thing the autopilot can handle it with minimal input and the nuke somehow autothrottled to the refinery's output with a stable thermal profile...

eZwGdix.png

dBj94wz.png

wQ7ZknA.png

To further complicate things, I launched the modules on a SSTO and refueled them around Munar orbit to perform a fast (1'8km/s on approach) solar rendezvous. Mainly because it sounded cool, but it also gave me time to do these humongously long insertion burns. Now let's see how I can aerocapture this big potato, then get it into a decent inclination (I'm coming in at almost 90º). If I have to brute-force this propulsively, it's going to be a lot of books that I finish while circularizing... Scott would be proud of my efficiency, though, I'm literally bringing in thousands of tonnes of fuel no matter what happens. Man am I proud of my overcomplications. :)

Rune. Ten to one I end up using less than half of it.

Edited by Rune

My first amphibious vehicle, the ALRM1 (Amphibious Long Range Miner One). Inspired by 1970's automotive & science fiction design (my favorite period). Soon on KerbalX.

Based on my MLRS chassis but much lighter and with less parts. Able to drive safely with multiple wheels broken. Great suspension, great cornering. In theory able to circumnavigate Kerbin.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

:) I think ore deposits can't be found at the bottom of the ocean, also, your sub is going to need MORE power just to get under. Mine took 12 turbojets to push 20 tons underwater at 5 m/s. Given the size of yours, you''d probably need more than that. Also, there are some parts what annoyingly refuse to sink like wings.

My sub weighs 72 tons. If I can remove any unnecessary fuel, I can possibly cut it down to 60-ish tons. At that weight, I would need 36 turbojets to push it underwater, assuming there aren't any parts on it with unnaturally high buoyancy. I could probably make 4 clusters of 8 turbojets fairly easily, but that only comes up to 32. If I could manage to get it down to 50 tons though, I can use 32 turbos and possibly have it dive a little faster than 5 m/s...

On the bright side, using a calculator, pen, and paper to play a video game makes me feel smarter than I probably actually am!

Squad, please do us all a favor and make Better Buoyancy stock.

My sub weighs 72 tons. If I can remove any unnecessary fuel, I can possibly cut it down to 60-ish tons. At that weight, I would need 36 turbojets to push it underwater, assuming there aren't any parts on it with unnaturally high buoyancy. I could probably make 4 clusters of 8 turbojets fairly easily, but that only comes up to 32. If I could manage to get it down to 50 tons though, I can use 32 turbos and possibly have it dive a little faster than 5 m/s...

On the bright side, using a calculator, pen, and paper to play a video game makes me feel smarter than I probably actually am!

Squad, please do us all a favor and make Better Buoyancy stock.

At least 64 extra parts

WELL this is my WIP SSTO dubbed the raptor... its running ALOT of mk2 part mod packs

3b71784ac741b85d7a249bec72b243ab.png

81745ef4eb0a07ca57e960bc8c157600.png

Those 2 pictures above well lets just say this launched itself Just on air-breathing engines alone and if your wondering its the ( Advanced TurboRamjet ) from opt and im using 2 of them.

then with the 1 hybrid rocket airbreathing engine i used almost the rest of the oxidizer to make it orbited but then i ran into massive problems i forgot to bring mono propellant and electricity -_- to use and recharge XD

5cfdb0417d01f9282444ddbaf902ffef.png

54c5b47e11b5b217c494d66e307f471f.png

but that was on the first try of the design too :D