Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Well after a long time of just roaming the forums, I've finally made a craft I feel very pleased about. Feels good to be back and posting again! :) Anyways, with KSP 1.1 (although being buggy as it is) one thing that they've added is motor inversion. Put 2 and 2 together: Motor Inversion + Improved Wheels = Tank Drive?!?!!? Yes, yes it does. I could not help the urge to see if I could do it. The UDR Concept Vehicle showcases the tank drive capabilities. Now unfortunately, there is a bug whereas you can't custom group motor inversion because the bug prevents that from happening. To overcome this challenge, the wheels on the vehicle control it's direction while engines on the back propel it! Not to mention, this vehicle is fairly compact for it's purpose and can be practical. Can't wait until they fix those bugs so I can do other things I have planned! Enough talking, more watching.

Edit:

I know deployable is not a word.... When do acronyms never invent words :)

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

Fairey Swordfish for @SaturnianBlue's Denmark Strait pack. Still needs the landing gear, torpedo, and a possible revision of the tail section. I will also need to go over it and make sure to remove any unnecessary parts because even in 1.1 trying to hit the Bismarck with this is going to be tough on almost any computer.

Xq2uDp5.jpg

I remember @selfish_meme made a Swordfish one time, any advice for when I make the landing gear?

40 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Fairey Swordfish for @SaturnianBlue's Denmark Strait pack. Still needs the landing gear, torpedo, and a possible revision of the tail section. I will also need to go over it and make sure to remove any unnecessary parts because even in 1.1 trying to hit the Bismarck with this is going to be tough on almost any computer.

Xq2uDp5.jpg

I remember @selfish_meme made a Swordfish one time, any advice for when I make the landing gear?

Mine was very simple and only intended as a movie prop, I did get the torpedo into the water with separatons and drogue chutes. I never tested after buoyancy came in so the torpedo never moved very fast, but some clipped Juno's should get one going at a good rate now.

Edited by selfish_meme

This is all stock, wait! all I do is stock builds! :D This is a Mini Personnel Carrier with digital screen front view, it has two pilots and capable of transporting 4 crew members. I have been tweaking it's control, mainly when in flight. I may need to add more forward thrust but it's flying fairly well.

"Island Express Mini Personnel Carrier"

I've been working on updating an A-380 replica. I already updated it to barely-working degree so I could use it in a passenger plane challenge, but I'm trying to make it go a bit faster (reducing stall hazard and increasing climb rate) so that the average player might be happier with it. This however made it about 18 tons heavier than it already was, which is causing the gear to bug out even more than they did before, and also causing... well... take a look

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
grammar OCD

The Prince Of Wales Hull is complete, and my main armament is complete! Current testing of the ship just has it skidding on the water at ridiculous speeds (30 M/s!), but I'd imagine adding armor will fix that. 

Edited by SaturnianBlue

0UiDogC.png

Working on a Dragon V2-inspired crew vehicle-

f23zq5n.png
AwDdxNG.png
kWxkqrW.png

-Just gotta work out a bit of flippy-ness it likes to go through just after the reentry heating subsides. It does store up to 4 kerbals though, through some clever capsule clipping.

Finished Wellington testing, flew and landed barebones for the first time today. Performance was pleasing, especially after repeatedly strutting, venting in anger and fixing it up. Might be relative though.

Now for the bombs and gunners. How fun.

hPVY8wV.png

Also, anyone else finding it a torture to scroll through long craft lists in 1.1, compared to 1.0.5? It feels slower and laggier.

I've gotten the gear and wing snapping issues on my A-380 figured out, but I still have a problem that panels explode off the belly if I don't use unbreakable joints during physics load; I'll add pics when I am home and on comp.

I fixed the physics load problem, but now belly panel explosions and partial wing disassembly cripple the plane again on takeoff, though usually it can (barely) be landed again afterwards.

update

Here's my current project. I will hopefully upload it tomorrow:

I was shocked to find a 555 part carrier could actually run in real time on my setup, (2nd gen core i5 with 8gb of ram)! Not with 4 harriers though as they are 114 parts each. 147m long. :D

Edited by Redshift OTF

10 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Here's my current project. I will hopefully upload it tomorrow:

I was shocked to find a 555 part carrier could actually run in real time on my setup, (2nd gen core i5 with 8gb of ram)! Not with 4 harriers though as they are 114 parts each. 147m long. :D

Does it suffer from the physics loading thing when you approach it from a distance?

1 minute ago, selfish_meme said:

better than it shooting a kilometre up in the air like in 1.05

Lol, that happened? I wish I'd seen a video of that. I used to have a problem where switching vessels outside of physics distance caused vessels to spontaneously explode. Perhaps that was the same bug...

In addition to various other projects (including that Dragon-inspired capsule, don't think I've forgotten about it :P), I've started working on this jet-powered VTOL:

vZyyNnE.png
qHrVKHV.png

Comes with 3 2.5 meter service bays, which I hope to use 2 of for crew/passengers and the center for cargo and/or onboard payloads (or, if I can setup a BD version, a door gunner. :) ).

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

Tip for stock carriers: you can make a low part count durable deck using the flat sides of the large spaceplane tanks. As in 100m x 8m deck for <100 parts

19 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

Trying to make a stock ship...

2LS2HCS.png

That looks awesome tho :wink:

Just now, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Tip for stock carriers: you can make a low part count durable deck using the flat sides of the large spaceplane tanks. As in 100m x 8m deck for <100 parts

After reading this thread I'm beginning to realize that... Thanks for the tip!