LLTV mk 2 'mini' The "wasp"

Hi all!

Some of you may have seen the Lunar landing training vehicle I made a few weeks ago: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64476-Lunar-Landing-Training-Vehicle-The-Flying-Beadstead-*DL-link

I wanted to keep the single jet but also wanted more performance. So weight reduction is the answer!

Here is the new smaller LLTV next to the previous version.

21B3795CC370ED704B60B2D2270F47D9B40FC54D

C18E714E1B41CDFF19D2BBA8270825650324E3A5

The "wasp" is faster, more maneuverable and quicker to react than the Mk 1 LLTV. She is a blast to fly!

It is still quite a challenge to land with the jet but as she weighs a lot less, the RCS can be used for fine control.

43F4AA1E1E384EDDF69819568011CA3C6BCE81FE

8EABA40711215317FA088DB7D92010414A24BD86

ECA03C28E27B9A823DC2412B204CA3B46D0E1CA2

Have fun!

MJ

DL LINK:http://www./view/1ckexlnogb3cnkk/LLTV%20%20'mk2'%20the%20_wasp_.craft

I can see my house from hear! *cricksnap* Uh....my house is getting closer...and so is the ground...MAYDAYMAYDA*Booooooom!!1!*...my house hurts

Like the design of this. Is the tail a counterbalance for the command chair?

Yeah its there to help center the COM. It would fly the same without it though!

It flies nicely, I just unloaded oxidizer from tanks, it makes it even lighter and it flies better.

I like balancing it with RCS for smooth touchdown :) Just great! I even landed it on floating platform in ocean!

You flew it then!

:D

It actually flies quite nicely provided that you are climbing, but the slow spooling of the engine make hovering or flying at a constant altitude difficult and I find landing not possible at all! Hence the awesome explosions.

It flies nicely, I just unloaded oxidizer from tanks, it makes it even lighter and it flies better.

I like balancing it with RCS for smooth touchdown :) Just great! I even landed it on floating platform in ocean!

Sweet! You dont really need the RCS to fly the Wasp as the reaction wheel has more than enough touque. If you want the authentic LLTV feel

just switch off the torque and use the RCS to control pitch, roll, yaw. That is really tough!

You can use the RCS for fine control though. Setting the throttle low and using it to control your altitude. It makes landing a lot easier.

Its actually possible to land at full throttle. You just need to swing the craft forward and back or side to side.

MJ

I´m kinda experienced with Zombiphylax KV-2 Griffon, this is ideal training for it :)

Torque is really powerful, so it is much easier. I use balancing it on RCS just for final landing aproach.

I kinda have some plans with this :)

I´m kinda experienced with Zombiphylax KV-2 Griffon, this is ideal training for it :)

Torque is really powerful, so it is much easier. I use balancing it on RCS just for final landing aproach.

I kinda have some plans with this :)

Yeah that's the way!

I'm excited to see those plans! Are you planning to take one somewhere?

MJ

Ive been fiddling with this and I have now removed all RCS and all Oxidizer to minimize weight. I have also reduced the height of the motor stack just for aesthetics.

In replace of the RCS ports I have given the 'wasp' more of a 'waspy' look.

1DEF4592459EDF774BB3731CD8AF5DDCB8F54982

88CF2403F513B95452A4A8803DA02AC7E21FB4AF

7B1634E22DEC343C70AAEECB3DDFF18047583181

080614310FB0325BE22BDCC7099F0DA4EAC81AC3

The 'Wasp' now has a range of around 250km and a top speed of around 850 m/s at 27,000 m.

With the RCS gone its very hard to land. But entirely possible.

MJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.