HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Did you try changing Compress to false?
Try HGRtest/.* instead of .*/HGRtest/.*

I will try both of these - I'm pretty confident that it will work. Thanks for the help.

[EDIT: Hmmm... that still did not work. I know it's ATM, because on an install without ATM the pod looks fine. I'm a bit annoyed that the config for that plugin is so arcane and difficult to change. Perhaps they should have spent less time on all the commenting and more on making it easy to change.] :(

Edited by HeadHunter67

PMK_zps2f69f225.png

Finally got a chance to take some pictures of the PMK in its current state. Just keep in mind that it's still very WIP especially the IVA. Speaking of which, I also did my first IVA landing test. Some of the instrumentation needs to move around I think. :D

It looks like I'll be adding in the Spud to the next update since that's the format people seem to prefer. Unless I suddenly get an overwhelming amount of opposition, but I think that's unlikely. A lot of people have asked for that last missing adapter so that's what I'm going to try and get done ASAP.

Directly under the pod is the toroidal fuel tank and the 1.25m battery. (I had TAC installed and don't always like putting solar panels on everything) Under that is my smallest 1.875m tank and the panels are held on by the tiny radial attachment points from RLA stockalike. I like getting my landers to have a more angular base so I've been working on my lander aesthetics. Still haven't designed a two stage one that I'm happy with yet though.

Thanks for the tips - I'll try that out. I've got a couple of great stock two-stage landers, but the fuel lines always get screwed up when I save as a subassembly that can be used under a fairing base (since the bottom decoupler needs to be set as the root). So I've gone back to single-stage landers, easier to install into an interstage.

That engine's got to be a mod part, too - is it also from RLA? I've got some of those parts installed but not all.

I don't see any engines under my Propulsion tab in Parts Catalog - just the fuel tanks. Looking into the mod folder, I see the parts are there, not sure why they don't show up in my catalog though, even when I tell it to show all. :\

(I have advanced rocketry unlocked, they don't show up on the tech tree there either, in spite of the config. I just see your normal tank and the Radish on that node with my stock parts)

The only thing that might cause that is I merged the HGRtest stuff into my HGR folder - didn't need two folders for the same mod - and deleted the duplicate pods. If that's the case, definitely a good reason for the Test packages to include the released parts too.

Edited by HeadHunter67

My engines use shared textures, so installing HGRtest strait into your Gamedata directory is required. If you look in the engine's .cfg files you will see:

MODEL
{
model = HGRtest/Parts/Engines/G90/model
texture = Model000, HGRtest/Parts/Engines/G90/Model000
texture = Model001, HGRtest/Parts/Engines/G90/Model001
texture = Model002, HGRtest/Parts/Engines/G90/Model002
texture = Model004, HGRtest/Parts/Engines/G90/Model004
texture = Model005, HGRtest/Parts/Engines/G90/Model005

}

You can change these file paths if you really need to have it installed somewhere else, but I wouldn't recommend it as it can be really fickle.

EDIT: Yup, no worries I'll put everything in, in the next release.

Yea that should work fine. I'd urge you to use the Radishtest from HGRtest over the one from HGR though, this one works better with FAR and is more adaptable. Its adapters use shared textures as well btw, so those likely haven't been showing up either.

Maybe having HGRtest inside HGR is causing the ATM problems?

That might well be the case - I'll give that a try! That's a very insightful observation.

(Though technically, HGRtest is not "inside" HGR - I merely moved all the subfolders into the HGR folder).

[EDIT: Well, that sorted everything out! The engines are visible and the Pumpkin can looks pretty once again! I appreciate the patience and all the advice.]

Edited by HeadHunter67

Here's a bit of an off the wall question, for the PMK, do people prefer the Kerbals to be helmeted or would it be better to remove their helmets in the IVA?

It's not off the wall at all. I personally wouldn't mind unhelmeted Kerbals because it seems to me that that would provide more freedom of movement (From an In universe perspective) and then they can just put on their helmets when on EVA.

I personally wouldn't mind unhelmeted Kerbals because it seems to me that that would provide more freedom of movement (From an In universe perspective) and then they can just put on their helmets when on EVA.

I agree - that's kind of how I was thinking on it , too.

just some opinions after playing around with the fuel tanks for a few weeks: the G90 engine is grossly underpowered. actually its not underpowered, but the amount of fuel that the fuel tanks have for their size is too heavy for these engines to actually lift things properly. mechjeb tells me it takes 4 minutes + in order to empty 2 of your long fuel tanks, which feels like the G90 is more inline with the skipper engine than a mainsail type. i think the fuel tanks should hold less fuel because the numbers seems fine for the engines, just the the tanks holding that much fuel kinda bugs me. :/

or maybe you are gonna make a more powerful engine?

You're right the G90 really isn't a lifting engine, it's more of a second stage like the skipper. I'd like to make a multi-nozzle lifter engine at some point. For now clustering LV-T30s isn't too bad a way to go I think. The amount of fuel in the tanks is equal to amounts in stock tanks, but you end up with a lower but wider profile vs 1.25m tanks and a taller but skinnier profile vs the 2.5m ones.

My plan for the lifter would probably have in the neighborhood of 600-800 thrust, little to no gimbal, and an average atm. ISP, and poor vac. ISP.

I really like what the Soyjuice pack has become :D Although I woud have liked a little 4-cluster engine for the service module, just like on both the real Soyuz and Shenzou. I now this in now way meant to be replicas just stockalike parts inspired by real life stuff. I am overall happy with it. The new PMK is amazing too. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Just realised I never gave you any rep it seems. So here have my +rep as token of my endless gratitude for your amazing stuff :)

I really like what the Soyjuice pack has become :D Although I woud have liked a little 4-cluster engine for the service module, just like on both the real Soyuz and Shenzou. I now this in now way meant to be replicas just stockalike parts inspired by real life stuff. I am overall happy with it. The new PMK is amazing too. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Just realised I never gave you any rep it seems. So here have my +rep as token of my endless gratitude for your amazing stuff :)

I'm in agreement with the PMK. I've been looking for a good replacement for that stock two man lander capsule that looks stock-alike. This one fits the bill quite nicely. While it is still round, which can cause occasional Fun times in placement of items, it certainly beats out that damn flat can. Look forward to seeing it fully-finished and ready for service.

As we are speaking of PMK , Orion you should post some screenshots in the OP so people who come on this thread, now what they get with the new test version ;)

I agree, the OP is a bit of a mess and due for an updating. I'll have to get on that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.