HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Thank you but I can't take credit for the fairings. They're procedural fairings. I used the interstage upside down on top, so it will allow for a soyuz style abort. I don't think I'm going to make dedicated fairings as I feel like it forces one single way of using the parts. (Because the craft would have to fit in the fairings, which would be of a specific size) I don't really like the idea of parts that only serve one purpose/build style. But who knows, I often end up doing things that I say I'm not and vise versa.

Thank you for your kind words though. ^^

Have you seen this? It has a nice soyuz style LES. Which reminds me, one nice thing about the proc fairings inerstage adapter is that since you can change the baseplate's size, it can be fitted to any escape tower you could want.

Oh wow, am I blind or what? XD

Thank you but I can't take credit for the fairings. They're procedural fairings. I used the interstage upside down on top, so it will allow for a soyuz style abort. I don't think I'm going to make dedicated fairings as I feel like it forces one single way of using the parts. (Because the craft would have to fit in the fairings, which would be of a specific size) I don't really like the idea of parts that only serve one purpose/build style. But who knows, I often end up doing things that I say I'm not and vise versa.

Thank you for your kind words though. ^^

Have you seen this? It has a nice soyuz style LES. Which reminds me, one nice thing about the proc fairings inerstage adapter is that since you can change the baseplate's size, it can be fitted to any escape tower you could want.

Well, the newest version of PFairings has that ability for the standard base too. I tend to use one at each end, but attach the fairings to the top part. Works like a charm. I should make a newer version of that video I shared a few months back.

I'm a little confused as to the exact shape of the Onion pod. In some pictures it looks more oblong, and in others it looks almost exactly round. (I personally would prefer the round) Also I think the solar panels could only be 1 wide (Instead of the current 2) and it would look much better.

I'm basing the solar panels more on the old soyuz and soyuz apollo test mission, which had taller and less wide panels than the current version. http://historicspacecraft.com/soyuz.html Also when things get Kerbalized they tend to get squished a bit, not to mention looking at them from a limited camera perspective can skew things.

The Onion is very slightly oblong, so from some angles you will be able to tell more than others. If people still don't like the panels after they've gotten to play around with them, then we'll see about changing them. :)

I will offer this suggestion though: Make your own LES tower/LAS. The stock one does not do your parts justice, and I think one more LES/LAS would be brilliant. Right now, we have stock LES, and an Aerojet Kerbodyne/Orion LES, so a Russian/Soyuz themed LES would be brilliant. It would make the perfect trio, and you would do brilliant job with it.

Actually, PDCWolf did a pack of launch escape systems. It's available here.

2014-05-25_00001_zps3d163375.jpg

Scaled up the solar panels by 10% hopefully that looks better. The silhouette is a good indication of the size and shape of things. (Also I think silhouettes are cool)

The launcher in the picture got the Soy-juice into LKO with about 3/4 of the service compartment's fuel remaining. I think that with a proper lifting engine it'll be even more efficient. The boosters are already only 3 way symmetry, so that's a good sign. I think that by the time .24 rolls around we might have ourselves a nice inexpensive LKO launcher. :wink:

EDIT: I should mention that this is with stock aerodynamics, as long as it's stable in FAR it should work there too.

Special thanks to MaverickSawyer for telling me a better way to arrange the fairings.

Edited by Orionkermin

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y477/morrowindorion/2014-05-25_00001_zps3d163375.jpg

Scaled up the solar panels by 10% hopefully that looks better. The silhouette is a good indication of the size and shape of things. (Also I think silhouettes are cool)

The launcher in the picture got the Soy-juice into LKO with about 3/4 of the service compartment's fuel remaining. I think that with a proper lifting engine it'll be even more efficient. The boosters are already only 3 way symmetry, so that's a good sign. I think that by the time .24 rolls around we might have ourselves a nice inexpensive LKO launcher. :wink:

EDIT: I should mention that this is with stock aerodynamics, as long as it's stable in FAR it should work there too.

Special thanks to MaverickSawyer for telling me a better way to arrange the fairings.

Technically, it shouldn't use the fuel of the service module at all, should it?

It's Monday! I'm hoping for good news! (Don't feel rushed or anything though, I'm just excited because I really want to use this Soyuz OM, as I'm making a Kerbal ISS workalike.)

Why are you so excited about Monday? Everyone knows good releases come on Tuesdays. :P

I'm excited for Mondays, they're my day off lol. I didn't get anything done like I was planning to yesterday, because a wild girlfriend appeared. :D I'm going to be working on stuff today but the servers go down tomorrow. So, I'm thinking about putting up an "as is" update and then I'll try and put up another when the forums are back.

It probably wouldn't have to with a fourth booster. It's still not a perfect system.

@Taki117: Everything that isn't stock or Pfairings in the picture is HGR.

So those cool angled side booster things are HGR? I can't wait for the update! (But please, don't rush on my account) Also, I'm not entirely sure I like the color of the adapter.

OK here's what I'm considering the "unofficial" update, forum upgrade bonanza. A lot of the content is more WIP than I'd normally like to release to you guys, but this will be a nice dryrun for the new format. Now you won't need both HGR and HGRtest. The beta version will include everything that the release version does. To make it easier on myself the beta's file is still labeled as just HGR, this way I don't mess up any MODEL{} paths.

With that, here is the download: http://www./download/3odldt8avz8ayjd/HGRbeta.zip

There will likely be a more official update later in the week, have fun!

Edited by Orionkermin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.