HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

I have no idea why it isn't working then.

I have discovered that if I add "Jettison Fairing" to the Abort action group, the pad abort works fine. Otherwise, the fairings will hold everything in place. So I guess it's a simple thing for me to fix, thanks for looking into it.

[EDIT: Just one other question - I notice that the service module is not seen by Kerbal Engineer when it comes to Delta-V calculations. The rocket works fine, but KER can't seem to read it's delta-V remaining. I don't know if it's because it's a part containing an engine and fuel together, or what. Minor issue, though.]

Edited by HeadHunter67

I have discovered that if I add "Jettison Fairing" to the Abort action group, the pad abort works fine. Otherwise, the fairings will hold everything in place. So I guess it's a simple thing for me to fix, thanks for looking into it.

[EDIT: Just one other question - I notice that the service module is not seen by Kerbal Engineer when it comes to Delta-V calculations. The rocket works fine, but KER can't seem to read it's delta-V remaining. I don't know if it's because it's a part containing an engine and fuel together, or what. Minor issue, though.]

Next time I release an update I'll try adding in some new craft files, maybe a new one will work.

I think that it's a limitation of KER, at least from what I've heard. An easy way to test would be to see if it reads squad's tank/engine combo properly.

KER does properly show the delta-V for the LFB KR-1x2, so I'm not sure why it's not showing for the Edamame.

Whenever I use an LES, I also recommend setting up another action group that decouples the capsule from everything else and deploys the chutes. Spacing through each stage takes too much time for the chutes to kick in on a pad abort.

Also, the orbital module should be the first component that is decoupled when the reentry procedure is begun. Current staging places it above the capsule's heat shield, which means the heat shield would be jettisoned before the orbital module. I understand that in staging, this may be a limitation of the (wonderful) inline chute, which decouples and deploys in a single staging action. It would appear that manually ejecting the OM prior to reentry would require an action group to avoid the chutes being prematurely activated.

Still, this is a wonderful pack - and that inline chute is something I'm sure to find myself using even on other craft. This setup is just challenging me to think in new ways about staging, action groups and how I assemble a craft. Thanks again for all your effort and I look forward to each new update.

The way to set up the fairings for a "proper" Soyuz abort (where it drops out of the bottom of the fairing) is to attach the fairings to the TOP ring (the upside down one just under the LES). The fairings will resixe as appropriate, but will not attach to the bottom plate, leaving you free to decouple the bottom plate as part of your abort sequence. HOWEVER this has not been tested for a pad abort, and you will need to decouple the LES and top ring prior to LES burnout so that the craft will fall free of the fairings.

That is (apparently) the way it is set - however, the capsule does not leave the top of the rocket when this happens. I don't know if it's because something remains attached, or if the assembly is just too heavy for the LES engine to pull it off... I'm betting the bottom plate needs to be added to the abort sequence.

Orion, I think that the original Soyuz solar panels had covers, so can you maybe add ones with covers? Plz?

Why would it have covers? What would the covers even look like? How would you fit covers under a fairing? Why do you even want covers?

That is (apparently) the way it is set - however, the capsule does not leave the top of the rocket when this happens. I don't know if it's because something remains attached, or if the assembly is just too heavy for the LES engine to pull it off... I'm betting the bottom plate needs to be added to the abort sequence.

If the Capsule is not leaving the top of the rocket it means that you either A) Don't have a decoupler betwene the fairing base and your craft (Pfairings doesn't decouple) or B) your main engines are still active and your rocket has a higher TWR than the LES can provide.

If the Capsule is not leaving the top of the rocket it means that you either A) Don't have a decoupler betwene the fairing base and your craft (Pfairings doesn't decouple) or B) your main engines are still active and your rocket has a higher TWR than the LES can provide.

To be clear, we are talking about the sample craft provided by Orionkermin - unaltered and used as is "out of the box". This is a pad abort test - all engines are cold and throttled down.

Why would it have covers? What would the covers even look like? How would you fit covers under a fairing? Why do you even want covers?

Because they were on the original Soyuz. But they would be bare bones covers, rectangular covers that are like the stock covers. They would flip out, then the panels would come out, and Orion, Soyuz panels only get power from one side.

To be clear, we are talking about the sample craft provided by Orionkermin - unaltered and used as is "out of the box". This is a pad abort test - all engines are cold and throttled down.

Ah, oops. I don't play with stock parts so I am afraid of downloading them.

Ah, oops. I don't play with stock parts so I am afraid of downloading them.

I'm wondering Taki, what do you do about the 1.875m decoupler if you don't have the stock one. I assumed you were using multiple installs of the game.

I'm wondering Taki, what do you do about the 1.875m decoupler if you don't have the stock one. I assumed you were using multiple installs of the game.

I don't use stock parts, but I still have the texture for the stock decoupler. What I did was I deleted the .cfg for the parts I didn't need, then went through and checked for texture dependancies and deleted all the textures I didn't need.

Because they were on the original Soyuz. But they would be bare bones covers, rectangular covers that are like the stock covers. They would flip out, then the panels would come out, and Orion, Soyuz panels only get power from one side.

Do you have a source that shows these covers?

2014-06-03_00001_zps7c6ed1b1.jpg

I'm working on rescaling those nose cones into actual boosters. I think it just looks better that way and I've already decided to commit to non fueled long march style cones in the future anyway. Right now they hold as much as the similarly colored tanks. I'm also working on some small stabilizer fins that should help reduce unwanted roll. The fairings on top are procedural but, I'm using them to judge what the sizing would look like if I make my own.

Proc fairings was working for me, but now as headhunter has stated, they won't disconnect from the bottom plate for some reason. They may be getting caught on the solar panels, I need to do more testing. If I do end up making them I'll make fairings their own tab in HGR/Parts so they're easy to delete if you don't need them. A lot of people ask for them and I know more will come release, especially with how many refuse to use Procs. It's more work, but it might be something I have to do for completeness sake.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.