HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Only thing I could find is this pic:

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/s/shrouds.gif

The things on the side of some of the fairings that might be mistaken for solar covers are actually grid fins to stabilize/guide the launch abort system. There is a model of Grid Fins included in Sam Hall's excellent parts pack Kerbonov-Kn-2-Cockpit-Module

The things on the side of some of the fairings that might be mistaken for solar covers are actually grid fins to stabilize/guide the launch abort system. There is a model of Grid Fins included in Sam Hall's excellent parts pack Kerbonov-Kn-2-Cockpit-Module

But I don't think that those fins are deployable, they are way too large, and can you even put stuff on the fairings? Oh, and for proof of covers, go to the Soyuz 5 page on Wikipedia, and look at the first image. What are those little white panels under the base of the solar panels? Oh wait, I think they are solar panels. Huh, no proof, pfft.

Come to think of it has there ever been an acknowledgement of the russian space program in star trek ever? Well besides chekhov anyway.

In classic star trek? I don't know but in Star Trek Into Darkness, Admiral Marcus's models there is a model of the Vostok. There are the models on his desk. Definitely a lot of American ships there. Probably should have a Soyuz there but the Saturn V isn't there either.

QMx_Star_Trek_Into_Darkness_starship_props.jpg

But I don't think that those fins are deployable, they are way too large, and can you even put stuff on the fairings? Oh, and for proof of covers, go to the Soyuz 5 page on Wikipedia, and look at the first image. What are those little white panels under the base of the solar panels? Oh wait, I think they are solar panels. Huh, no proof, pfft.

So I see that you investigated and researched grid fins as thoroughly as you have the Soyuz solar panel covers.

Finally a smattering of photos to share! The pod is very successful to the Kerbal's space program. The launcher.... Still has some issues. Once it's spaceborn, it's very successful, lets say that.

http://imgur.com/a/LRNDg

This may work, i've never tried it before. Success!

Nice missions komodo, I've just recently started using the CactEye telescope and KAS myself. I'm really enjoying both mods a lot. Out of curiosity, do you play with FAR? I've found that you need a bit steeper ascent in order to avoid a tumble and break-up. Thrust limiting the booster engines at 50% helps a lot too. (70-80% with stock aero.) Try to keep your TWR below 2 especially during the early stages of the gravity turn.

Thanks! Cacteye is a lot of fun, if for nothing else then the RP factor.

I do use FAR/DR because i'm craz--- Because of the challenge/RP factor. The best iteration on the booster thus far has used the midrange engines for the boosters (so I imagine it's 50% limited the hard way), but it's keeping it together like you say that is the snag. Maybe it's just me, but I found 0.23 + KJR to give very solid rockets. Even with KJR now, the noodle factor seems to have returned. Anyway. I'll mess around with the launcher some more, and see if I can hone it down. The last model worked almost perfectly, leaving the Edamame with just the last bit of insertion (to avoid spent boosters junking up the skies.) Almost perfectly, because the stage 1 was a bit of a wild ride.

All that said, the important part is it's a total blast to play with; it's KSP, if rockets aren't exploding randomly, something has gone very wrong. :D

Just tried out the new parts. They look great, but I didn't get to see them in action. A quick note for anyone "hanging" a Soy-Juice from an upside-down procedural interstage fairing base (to get a more Soyuz-like rocket): Don't use the RealChute inline stack parachute, it can't support the weight of the service module and capsule together.

Just my opinion of course, but I dislike the hatch texture on the top of the Soy Juice. It's significantly smaller than other hatches (which are typically just under 1.25m in diameter). I believe it looks much better with a standard sized hatch, like below:

djBUe0P.jpg

Edited by Fraz86

Just tried out the new parts. They look great, but I didn't get to see them in action. A quick note for anyone "hanging" a Soy-Juice from an upside-down procedural interstage fairing base (to get a more Soyuz-like rocket): Don't use the RealChute inline stack parachute, it can't support the weight of the service module and capsule together.

What if you add a pair of struts? I know it's not the most elegant solution, but it may work for now. At some point I'm going to have to figure out RealChutes, so mine can support it.

after a few weeks with the service module, I am not sure if I like the engine covers. I think it would look better the engine covers are removed, then there is one less thing to worry about, and less polygons. lol

Why don't you like it? Is it just because you have to right click to open?

Just my opinion of course, but I dislike the hatch texture on the top of the Soy Juice. It's significantly smaller than other hatches (which are typically just under 1.25m in diameter). I believe it looks much better with a standard sized hatch, like below:

http://i.imgur.com/djBUe0P.jpg

I agree, and it's something I've been meaning to do. I'll give the capsule a polish pass before the next update, I think it could do with a bit of spectacularity and a cleaner ambient occlusion.

You'll want Fustek then....

Does Fustek have 1.875m station parts? Just curios really.

As far as my own station modules go, if was to make some, it'd likely be its own mod. I'd want to have them give science but require crew, possibly with some sort of KAS based upgrade system like the cacteye telescope has.

Edited by Orionkermin

that can be fixed with a action group, so really its a none issue. i guess my asthetics side of me is just tingling. :/ cant put it into words though.

on a more serious note, the heat shield/chutes needs some tweaking i think. if i were to deploy the chutes and the heat shield at the same time, i would assume that the pod would have enough drag to actually seperate from the heat shield after seperation but nope, it hits the pod and stays there till the chute fully deploys. might be due to FAR though.

The way to set up the fairings for a "proper" Soyuz abort (where it drops out of the bottom of the fairing) is to attach the fairings to the TOP ring (the upside down one just under the LES). The fairings will resixe as appropriate, but will not attach to the bottom plate, leaving you free to decouple the bottom plate as part of your abort sequence. HOWEVER this has not been tested for a pad abort, and you will need to decouple the LES and top ring prior to LES burnout so that the craft will fall free of the fairings.

Or add jettison motors. Seperatrons are perfect for this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.