[1.1.x] CoolRockets! Cryo and Launch Particle FX

sarbian

Do you like it?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• No. It slows down my machine at launch. I need my CPU cycles elsewhere.
    • No. I don't like the engine effects.
    • No. I don't like the tank effects.
    • Yes. I especially like the engine effects.
    • Yes. I especially like the tank effects.
    • Yes. It even runs smoothly.
    • What is this all about?
    • I'd like to use this in my mod.
    • I'd like to contribute somehow.

Do you think you could release your mm configs for the engines thus far? Honestly I dont care so much about the ice, just the normal cryo effects on the engines, and they look fine to me so far. Even the double nozzle one.

A fair point. Considering its low thrust, I doubt people would be using it as a lifter engine (which is what CoolRockets enhances) but hey, it ran on the same stuff as the other ones, that's why I did it. There is always the option to toggle launch effects on and off in the VAB so I'll keep it in just in case. If people don't want it, they can always delete the section. Considering how long it took for to get the right position and width, it'd be a shame to let that work go to waste just for someone else to want to do it all again.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea how I would do the ice on the conical adapter tanks in KW? I can't think of a way that would work well. EDIT: Oh god, the side tanks... :confused:

But, dtobi - is there a way to disable the nozzle effects on ignition? At the moment, it's the launch clamp release which does it which is all fine and great, but if you ignite your engines and throttle up before you release, you get flames AND cryogenic smoke coming out and it doesn't look terribly realistic.

What does your config look like for the dual engines? I am trying to make it myself rather than wait, and for the life of me I cannot get the two particle streams to split up. I tried to just have a second "nozzle" module, but no matter what I set the X and Z offsets to, they both gen from the same spot.

Maybe looking at the code for the LV-45 will help you for the dual nozzle engines. I copied it below. Just use two effects. The cryo-1m FX model contains two particle effects (see below).

Don't hesitate to ask more questions!

//LV-T45
@PART[liquidEngine2]
{

MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngine2/model
scale = 0.8, 0.8, 0.8
}

MODEL
{
model = CoolRockets/FX/cryo-1m/model
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
parent = thrustTransform
}

// Nozzle
MODULE
{
name = KM_PreLaunchEffect
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1
checkBottomNode = true

width = 0
height = 12
xOffset = 0
yOffset = -0.9
zOffset = 0
numP = 25
speedX = 0
speedY = -0.3
speedZ = 0
size = 1.5
}

// Exhaust
MODULE
{
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine2
checkBottomNode = true
debug = false
width = 0
height = 2
xOffset = -0.4
yOffset = -0.2
zOffset = 0
numP = 10
speedX = -0.25
speedY = -0.5
speedZ = 0
size = 0.4
}
}

Since the .23.5 update I haven't seen the cryoeffects and just realized it. I tried a fresh install of this and nothing. (Hot rockets is working) I do have quite a few mods running so it could be a conflict, not sure. Anyone else having issues?

Hi,

I've been working on a KW config. Single and dual nozzle engines are working well, but has anyone been able to get four nozzles working? I'm trying different settings, but I can only get the first two prelaunch effects to be visible. I've been renaming the prelauncheffectengine to prelauncheffectengine1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively. I'll post the .cfgs I've got so far later tonight/tomorrow morning, after a bit more testing.

Edit1: Quick update, the 4 nozzle problem has been solved.

4nozzles_zpsc200bde0.png

It turns out each part in a single cfg file can only create two pre-launch effects per part. However, each part can be given effects by more than one .cfg file. So to give a four nozzle engine (like the Griffon G8D) a cryo effect from each nozzle, you must create two .cfg files. Each file needs two pre-launch effect modules (1 and 2). I'm still testing to get particles looking right on each engine, but for now, I'd like to paste the .cfg(s) for the Girffon G8D to help anyone else working on engines with lots of nozzles.

.cfg 1 of 2

@PART[KW2mengineGriffonG8D]
{
MODEL
{
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
parent = thrustTransform
}

MODULE
{
name = KM_PreLaunchEffect // the name of the plugin. Don't change!
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1 // the name of the particle system in the .mu. You can have several systems with same or different names.
checkBottomNode = true // deactivate if something is attached at the bottom node (for engines)
debug = false // show or don't show the debug context menu in the VAB tweakables.
width = 0 // width of the particle system
height = 20 // height or lifetime of the particles
xOffset = -2 // move the whole thing on the xyz achsis
yOffset = -2
zOffset = 2
numP = 20 // number of active particles in the system
speedX = 0 // direction of the particles
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
size = 1 // sizeof the particles. It ranges from x/2 to x
rndVelocity = 0.1 // random movement in all directions
runningTime = 0.5 // stop x seconds after launch
}

MODULE
{
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine2 // the name of the particle system in the .mu. You can have several systems with same or different names.
checkBottomNode = true // deactivate if something is attached at the bottom node (for engines)
debug = false // show or don't show the debug context menu in the VAB tweakables.
xOffset = -2 // move the whole thing on the xyz achsis
yOffset = -2
zOffset = -2
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
}

}

.cfg 2 of 2

@PART[KW2mengineGriffonG8D]
{
MODEL
{
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
parent = thrustTransform
}

MODULE
{
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1 // the name of the particle system in the .mu. You can have several systems with same or different names.
xOffset = 2 // move the whole thing on the xyz achsis
yOffset = -2
zOffset = 2
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
}

MODULE
{
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine2 // the name of the particle system in the .mu. You can have several systems with same or different names.
xOffset = 2 // move the whole thing on the xyz achsis
yOffset = -2
zOffset = -2
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
}
}

Edited by T10M101

(Making a new post because I'm releasing)

Configs for KW Engines are ready to go. The config files are intended for use with RSS, and might not line up correctly if used for stock sized games.

multinozzles_zps04f52195.png

Download Here!

Install instructions:

1. Open the 7zip file.

2. Drag all the config files into your Gamedata/CoolRockets folder

3. Play!

Notes:

• The single-nozzle Vesta has no effects. This is because it has poor ISP at sea level in RSS. Feel free to add it on if you need it.
  • These are the prelaunch engine effects only. No tank effects included.
  • If you can spot exhaust nozzles for the engines and feel I should put the effects there - show me and I'll see what I can do.
  • I'm not good at making large engine effects look good - if anyone else knows a way, feel free to change it or let me know for an update.
  • Try not to use more than one type of CoolRockets enabled engine at once - they can conflict and give you the wrong effects for each engine.
  • The configs were split to make changing easier, and to allow for 4 nozzle engines.

A huge thanks to dtobi for creating this beautiful mod in the first place.

A huge thanks to leops1984 for his three configs for KW engines on page 8.

A huge thanks to Kickasskyle and Winston for KW Rocketry.

Edited by T10M101

See, this is why I should subscribe to threads.. sorry I missed your replies, everyone!

FWIW, I couldn't get the twin/quad nozzle to work either, didn't think of trying with two cfgs. It worked fine in the VAB, but on the launchpad, they went into one. I could upload it as a starting block for the size editing if people want to pick that and put it in T10M101's set. Most of the tanks are done too so people are free to do expand on that. Ahh screw it, I'll upload it anyway, link at the bottom. If people want to expand on it, I suggest a stock install with just KW and CoolRockets (delete the squad parts, even). You'll get very fed up with looking at the loading screen very quickly otherwise.

My .cfg for CoolRockets and KW Rocketry

EDIT: Whoops, forgot I had the tanks in a separate .cfg....

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

What would need to be changed to bring the configs back to normal size

If the effects don't line up with the nozzles, you would need to change the x, y and z offsets (how much left/right, up/down, and forward/back the effects are generated). I don't know if realism overhaul changed any (if not all) sizes. I'd recommend you try a .cfg out anyway....the worst that can happen is that you need to change numbers, which is simply trial and error to get the effects placed correctly. The best that can happen is that it all matches stock sizing first time.

BTW, can anyone (maybe dtobi) figure out why quad nozzles need two .cfgs to work? It would be neater (but not essential) to have less .cfg files if a way around it can be found.

I've started on first stage engines for AIES aerospace. For some reason, adding the effects the normal way (referencing the part, then the cryo effect model, then the location for the effect) made the engines invisible and burning inside the VAB. I found that re-referencing the engines actual model fixes it (see below), but again.....does anyone know why it works this way? It could be interesting to have to learn a new way to set up .cfgs for each engine pack.

@PART[liquidEngineorbit2]
{
MODEL
{
model = AIES_Aerospace/Parts/Engine/AIESengineorbit2/model
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
}

MODEL
{
position = 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
parent = thrustTransform
}

MODULE
{
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1
checkBottomNode = true

width = 0.2
height = 10
xOffset = 0
yOffset = -1.2
zOffset = 0
numP = 25
speedX = 0
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
size = 1.5
}
}

If the effects don't line up with the nozzles, you would need to change the x, y and z offsets (how much left/right, up/down, and forward/back the effects are generated). I don't know if realism overhaul changed any (if not all) sizes. I'd recommend you try a .cfg out anyway....the worst that can happen is that you need to change numbers, which is simply trial and error to get the effects placed correctly. The best that can happen is that it all matches stock sizing first time.

I did a pretty good job at getting the positions correct in my cfg (linked above). Anyone is more than welcome to take it and build on it or use it for reference.

BTW, can anyone (maybe dtobi) figure out why quad nozzles need two .cfgs to work? It would be neater (but not essential) to have less .cfg files if a way around it can be found.

The 1m launch effect now contains four particle systems:

PreLaunchEffectEngine1 ... PreLaunchEffectEngine4

Its contained in the 0.3 download in the first post.

Could you make configs for normal-sized KW? I'm not using RSS now because of memory issues, so I'd like to get those effects in stock size.

The 1m launch effect now contains four particle systems:

PreLaunchEffectEngine1 ... PreLaunchEffectEngine4

Its contained in the 0.3 download in the first post.

Could you explain that a bit more please? If I'm right in understanding it, we can put the contents of cfg 2 into cfg 1 but rename the effects PreLaunchEffectEngine3 (and 4), yes?

I'm working on making normal sized KW cfgs right now (mainly just resizing and putting in the correct place) so if I can bunch T10M101's cfgs into one, I'd like to.

Getting there...

hG7NuHq.png

I want to finish off all the tanks tonight and work on the exhausts tomorrow. You may notice the lack of quad nozzles there - yeah, I messed up and can't get them back to normal (or 0.3 is incompatible with them).. so I'll have to think more on that, hrmm.... Course, the exhausts might prove troubling - if each config can only load 2 effects and I can't get the quad nozzles working, then the twin nozzles exhaust won't work (that would be 3 effects) and some of the single nozzles have two exhausts..

Hrmm indeed.

EDIT1, 0208am: Why won't these quad nozzles work... :( I've tried everything, from naming them 1-4, in separate cfgs, all in one cfg, 2 lots of 1-2 names.. The RSS cfgs didn't work straight away either (obviously besides the placements) - in the VAB, there's 3 effects (?!) and on the launchpad, there's only 2. Grr....

EDIT2, 0215am: Well, turns out I did a good job on the tanks.. all 1m and 2m working ok (except for the longest ones). 3m tanks aren't though, the effect is above and inside the tank. Hmm hmm hmm...

EDIT3, 0230am: I have discovered the debug menu and my life is transformed. This makes things SO much easier! At least with the tanks anway. Should be able to whip them up in double quick time now!

EDIT4, 0251am: Yay, all tanks done! Bit of trouble with the largest 3m one though - the effect doesn't actually reach the top because they're so tall. The max value is '4' (and even that isn't quite at the top of the second tallest 3m tank) and entering a value higher than 4 appears to break it :/

EDIT5, 0300am: Course, it'd help if I'd saved the changes I made before loading KSP.. no wonder they weren't working! Ok, NOW I have all KW Rocketry straight tanks done. Feeling proud :D

EDIT6, 0328am: Well, it turns out that until I get the 'no more than 2 effects' bug sorted, I can only get exhaust effects on max 2 engines. Some of them don't have any apparent exhausts, others have two etc etc. One thing I would like however, is more precise placement options. It doesn't like a Z offset by 0.15 and will round it down to 1. Getting tired now...

EDIT7, 0347am: I can honestly see no way of getting the side tanks to work. I can make it start at the top (well, not all the way up) and follow the line of the tank down, but because there's such a difference in width between the top and bottom, anything that's just right for the top won't be seen at the bottom.. I can't really make it expand as it goes down... If I turn random up way high, it's as good a hotfix as any.. Not 100% pleased with it, but it'll have to do.

EDIT8, 0400am. Side tanks as done as I can make them. All that's left for me to do now is the multi-nozzle thing. Oh, and the ARM parts. And some more fuel tanks I got today. Ugh... bed time, I think.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Getting there...

EDIT6, 0328am: Well, it turns out that until I get the 'no more than 2 effects' bug sorted, I can only get exhaust effects on max 2 engines. Some of them don't have any apparent exhausts, others have two etc etc. One thing I would like however, is more precise placement options. It doesn't like a Z offset by 0.15 and will round it down to 1. Getting tired now...

Woukld you send me all you got until now? Ican give the quad nozzles a try.

@NathanKell: They're for RftS.

@ dtobi: Cool! Thanks for the addition. Hopefully it'll mean just 1 .cfg for each engine pack (rather than my less than elegant 8 .cfgs).

@ObsessedwithKSP: That effect placement is looking better than mine. Good luck with the quads in .3! If you want any settings from any of the cfgs I did, feel free!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.